GPS not allowed?

billerz

Having area knowledge will always be faster and safer than not. When I'm sent out blind, you bet ur ass I'm using my phone. It has a map on it [emoji33] I know, crazy right!

barnyard

KTM rider
There are 3 routes that I cover that I carry maps and there are 4 routes that I do not know, but will learn this summer. I'll carry maps for those. I keep my maps in section 1, I glance at where I need to be for the next 3-4 stops and go from there.

I covered a route for 3 years. The 1st time I did the route, I did it blind and scratched it (had a really fat time allowance.) While I was on vacation, the guy that covered used his phone/gps and was an hour+ over every day.

It is way easier to see whole neighborhoods on a map, than a phone, plus coverage is still not great everywhere.

jaker

trolling
I think the problem with using your phone is you don't take notice of the streets around the street you are looking for

When you are using a map you have to look for the street and you are also taking in names of other streets without thinking about it, so when you see that street your brain remembers it and that helps you get familiar with the area

mrbrownstone

I'm a huge advocate of using gps when learning a route and don't loose much time because of it.

I wear a bluetooth earpiece that has a dedicated Google Now/Siri botton. All I have to do is press the button while walking back to the package car. And say "Okay Google navigate to...." and bam I'm ready to go.

I don't think I could have done this job back in the day because I am really bad at reading maps and and orienting myself.

However, I am smart enough to study a map at night after work in order to memorize thr roads and layout layout over a few days.

I am very comfortable with technology and know how to use it to my advantage to compensate for other areas of weakness.

The fact is some of us learn differently but in the end of you succeed in learning it then you did your job.

Dillinger4

A lot of the cover drivers at my center print a map of the route before start time which has each stop that day on it. They are numbered in orion order and really help give you a visual picture to take with you. It is a lot more than most of us had years ago.
Thank you re-raise. How do they go about getting their route map. Do they have to ask for it or do they have access to it where they can just print it out on their own?

Dillinger4

There are 3 routes that I cover that I carry maps and there are 4 routes that I do not know, but will learn this summer. I'll carry maps for those. I keep my maps in section 1, I glance at where I need to be for the next 3-4 stops and go from there.

I covered a route for 3 years. The 1st time I did the route, I did it blind and scratched it (had a really fat time allowance.) While I was on vacation, the guy that covered used his phone/gps and was an hour+ over every day.

It is way easier to see whole neighborhoods on a map, than a phone, plus coverage is still not great everywhere.
Great advice. Thank you.

Re-Raise

Thank you re-raise. How do they go about getting their route map. Do they have to ask for it or do they have access to it where they can just print it out on their own?
I work in a pretty small center where we can just go to one of the computers and go to files and select your own route that day and print. It prints on the printer right next to the computer. Someone will be able to help you with it the first couple of times. I never do it, but some bid drivers still do it every day. Good luck and take it one stop at a time, we've all been there.

Sami Toms

How would using a map make that any faster? You can end up using a map or GPS for minutes at a time. Same thing; same result too. GPS may be better. It guides you so you don't have to stop or pull over to view the map! As a matter of fact they should be built IN to delivery vehicles globally, by government demand. It serves a right. Just like backup cams are required on each car, and van made in 2015 and up. Actually.... those types of things should be invested in voluntary.

How would using a map make that any faster? You can end up using a map or GPS for minutes at a time. Same thing; same result too. GPS may be better. It guides you so you don't have to stop or pull over to view the map! As a matter of fact they should be built IN to delivery vehicles globally, by government demand. It serves a right. Just like backup cams are required on each car, and van made in 2015 and up. Actually.... those types of things should be invested in voluntary.
If you are looking at the GPS you aren't paying attention to the things around you and you could get into an accident

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
I've been going down a list of street names and drawing/labeling every intersection it connects within range of the route. 20 front-to-back sheets of paper but it does the trick.

If you are lucky enough to be on a grid closer to town then associating the street name to the grid # is also good.

P.S. this is for my attempt to qualify. It would be unpaid overkill otherwise.

Sami Toms

That's why you slow down when you are 20 houses/10 businesses away. Who looks at the GPS when they’re actually driving? The screen is only there for a reference to a reminder. Mostly with sound alerts and voice. Same way we are reminded to check our gas gauges and mileage every now and then. They are only reference points towards what's advised. You can argue it whichever way you like. Checking the time, good or bad? Checking the weather on your car screen, phone, or a device on your wrist? Those are all neutral arguments that can go both ways. That's because there are people who focus on things AROUND the road, instead of objects in relation to driving. Like the "crash test UPS dummy" who would check out how beautiful the clouds look today while vehicle is in operation. On the other hand, who doesn't? I want proven facts now in 2018 and 2019 there are more accidents by drivers who are using Bluetooth speaking devices and other hands free circumstances. Companies use statistics of neutral circumstances to gain alternatives. Such as how smart or dumb/high or low of an IQ they believe an applicant has or is. It's a control mechanism behind the obligation to sort out personality types during hiring processes. They don't want some * who sucks at reading a map using their company to gain success. Reason. They think certain types of people do not understand the concept of life and "just wanna have a "job" steering a big yellow truck down the road.=who they don't take serious.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's why you slow down when you are 20 houses/10 businesses away. Who looks at the GPS when they’re actually driving? The screen is only there for a reference to a reminder. Mostly with sound alerts and voice. Same way we are reminded to check our gas gauges and mileage every now and then. They are only reference points towards what's advised. You can argue it whichever way you like. Checking the time, good or bad? Checking the weather on your car screen, phone, or a device on your wrist? Those are all neutral arguments that can go both ways. That's because there are people who focus on things AROUND the road, instead of objects in relation to driving. Like the "crash test UPS dummy" who would check out how beautiful the clouds look today while vehicle is in operation. On the other hand, who doesn't? I want proven facts now in 2018 and 2019 there are more accidents by drivers who are using Bluetooth speaking devices and other hands free circumstances. Companies use statistics of neutral circumstances to gain alternatives. Such as how smart or dumb/high or low of an IQ they believe an applicant has or is. It's a control mechanism behind the obligation to sort out personality types during hiring processes. They don't want some * who sucks at reading a map using their company to gain success. Reason. They think certain types of people do not understand the concept of life and "just wanna have a "job" steering a big yellow truck down the road.=who they don't take serious.
You better make sure your GPS is for a truck a not a car. A package car going under a 10 foot under pass doesn't end well.

I would tell you many more things but you " know it all".
Maybe UPS will give you experience for the new job you will be getting shortly when you get canned for production.

Good luck to you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Harley Rider

34 yrs & done!
Try running a rural route with your gps. When you go down a dirt road and come up on 7 mailboxes all together and no driveways marked. Back in the day, (started in 1984), rural address were rt 1 box 285 etc.....Ran many routes blind with no street names to go on. You found a local mom and pop store and started asking questions. Be glad you have the opportunity to use gps these days. Spent many an hour drawing up my own maps to go by. Roads got to where they all looked the same when you ran a different route every day. I remember running about 14 different routes before I got enough seniority to finally bid a decent route.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

Hold on a minute Sami don’t know about any government demand for gps

Lmao if this is the future of ups it’s comical

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
You can shove all that bs up where it came from ,, learn the area , drive around and it will come to you ,, a good UPS driver isn’t following GPS , he knows where he’s going , if you get a split , get a map , group all the stops for each street ,, this has worked for over a hundred years ,, Jesus Christ you millennials, give two hour whiney answers for every thing ,, don’t like it ,, go to friend n Dominos

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
You can shove all that bs up where it came from ,, learn the area , drive around and it will come to you ,, a good UPS driver isn’t following GPS , he knows where he’s going , if you get a split , get a map , group all the stops for each street ,, this has worked for over a hundred years ,, Jesus Christ you millennials, give two hour whiney answers for every thing ,, don’t like it ,, go to friend n Dominos
Christ. Somebody needs to get l@id.