Greivance

705red

Browncafe Steward
And NO TEAMSTER has EVER filed a grievance that was without merit!!!
Please define merit. A grievance without merit would go no where, so unless the manager is clueless and signs off on it, every grievance is a violation of the contract.

area43

When I was a shop stewar(D) and yes Red I was a shop steward. I felt it was everyone's responsibility to file a grievance. Let me explain. In our center there is roughly 40 drivers. There's probably a little more than that but I'll use the number 40. Everyone in my opinion is a steward to some degree. Anyone can file. When mgt violates the contract I feel that not just a select or obligated few should always take the brunt or retribution in filing the greivance. In all fairness it should be spread out. Lets say out of the 40 drivers, 10 would be pulled to file all greivances for the month of January. Than when feb came around another 10 would file the greivances. A rotation bases would occur. Changing of the guard, perphaps. Fresh troops on the front line. This would minimize the same drivers from being singled out all the time for retribution from the sups. Why should it be just a select few to always file and then be put under the microscope or cross hairs of the sup? The stewards would overlook the whole process. They would be like the Generals.

The benefits from this would be great. Everyone would learn the contract. The sups would have to single out everyone. Not just a select few. Also, even if it weren't your month you could still file a greivance. The 10 drivers a month rule was just for broad based contract violations, like sups working, not individual infractions. I have wrote many greivances on behalf of other drivers who were scared of retribution. Well, in reference to the 10 drivers a month program it never got off the ground. I was trully disappointed. It dosen't have to be 10 a month. It could be 5 or whatever.

I've never filed a greivance in 18 years...But have had over 200 filed on me by the save few people...Never had one paid. If you comunicate with the company professionally and not the union you get so much more done...Every time they filed a greivance they were sorry the next day. I loved it.:lol:

It's a fun game to give an extra 20-30 stops the next day. watch the guy almost have an aneurysm when he finds out. I would just tell the guy to grow some cahonas and do his job. It's still fun to watch drivers act like 2 year olds in the morning.

over9five

Staff member
It's also fun to stay out an extra hour and listen to your sup cry the next day! I've made lots of extra money over the years playing the game.

It's also fun to stay out an extra hour and listen to your sup cry the next day! I've made lots of extra money over the years playing the game.

Yea, but it's always better being on the side that has the control. I could always add work to the same 6 to 8 drivers for their bogus greivances. Then the 3rd day give him an 8.5 day.

Leftinbuilding

Almost 34 years-never filed a grievence. Some people seem to think constant filing makes them a hero of some sort. I won't hide behind a piece of paper, would rather talk face to face. Always smooth? Nope, but I've made it this far with no ulcers.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Almost 34 years-never filed a grievence. Some people seem to think constant filing makes them a hero of some sort. I won't hide behind a piece of paper, would rather talk face to face. Always smooth? Nope, but I've made it this far with no ulcers.

About two years in two hubs, different parts of the country and I never plan to file a grievance. I filed one in retail and almost got a grey hair at 18 for the stress it caused me :sad:. No sir...not worth it. I work with a steward that'll file for ANYTHING. He asked me to be a witness for a supe working grievance once and I refused to step into that one. He's not been happy with me since. I've tried the face-to-face thing with a supe, in fact just recently and yours truly was given 100% of the blame :crying:. Talk about "open communication." I have to have a discussion with another full-time supe this week after the holiday and the entire issue may come up. In any event, Left, no its not always smooth but involving a third party (the union) just escalates things. Not advocating "mano-a-mano" conduct but its been my experience that a good manager/supe will be a little more respecful and willing to discuss solutions if its kept internal until the issue is at a standstill (i.e the manager/supe won't correct whatever the problem is). In my case, its a full-timer not putting a low-quality part-time supe on a short leash and/or in a fenced in yard. -Rocky

upsgrunt

It's a fun game to give an extra 20-30 stops the next day. watch the guy almost have an aneurysm when he finds out. I would just tell the guy to grow some cahonas and do his job. It's still fun to watch drivers act like 2 year olds in the morning.

It's also fun to see managers lie and say " there is absolutely no retaliation at UPS". So, are you a pathological liar or did it develop with the job?

It's also fun to see managers lie and say " there is absolutely no retaliation at UPS". So, are you a pathological liar or did it develop with the job?

I just played the game...I don't consider that retaliation...A driver delivers packages, don't they? Retaliation would be some sort of disipline, warning letter or termination.

upsgrunt

No, retaliation is exactly like what you did! Kind of like a 2 year old- "he hit me so I bit him." I only hope you get your fair share now that you are a driver.

I guess in your eyes I do...Always do the crappiest routes...Then I help a driver or 2 with 20 to 40 stops everyday. But that's what I do for a living. I deliver packages. The boring part is I've been doing the same 6 or 7 routes for almost 2 years now. Helping people is the only time I can do something new...I almost wish I would have stayed in my old center.:wink:

upsgrunt

I just have no use for the game playing and retaliation that you showed and I know goes on at every building, but is denied company wide. I can't figure out why drivers are called liars.

I just have no use for the game playing and retaliation that you showed and I know goes on at every building, but is denied company wide. I can't figure out why drivers are called liars.

You could say I just let the stops build up. I could have moved a split, but I didn't have the staffing. If I did it myself it could have been a justified greivance. The games go both ways.

some drivers are dishonest...I could name about 20 in my old building.