Grievance

Lilly101

So, I have been with ups a few months now and I am having issues with not being allowed my guaranteed pay. The past few weeks they tell me to go home after 2 hours and when I brought up my guarantee my sup. just said they don't know, and they will get back to me.
After I start heading out, I also see the supervisors doing my work. I know I am supposed to confront them and ask why but I just don't want to have any issues with my supervisors. Unfortunately, we don't really have a steward that acts as one so I'm hoping to get ahold of the union hall because I don't know why they aren't guaranteeing the hours? Has anyone else had this issue?

nWo

You need to figure out who your steward is and talk to them. Or Google your local union halls number and call them.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
So, I have been with ups a few months now and I am having issues with not being allowed my guaranteed pay. The past few weeks they tell me to go home after 2 hours and when I brought up my guarantee my sup. just said they don't know, and they will get back to me.
After I start heading out, I also see the supervisors doing my work. I know I am supposed to confront them and ask why but I just don't want to have any issues with my supervisors. Unfortunately, we don't really have a steward that acts as one so I'm hoping to get ahold of the union hall because I don't know why they aren't guaranteeing the hours? Has anyone else had this issue?
So you don’t want to have any “issues” with your supervisors, who are lying about knowing about your guarantee, sending you home and doing your work, but you don’t have a steward that “acts” like one. Well your steward will be better at “acting” like one when you act like a real Teamster. You have to insist you want to work your guarantee and if they don’t give it to you file a grievance. Tell us the whole story too please, do you have attendance issues? Report on time? Misloads til the cows come home? Why are they trying to ditch you?

Are you in the union yet?

HavenoEDD

If your steward isn’t doing anything, call your union hall and let them know. Your business agent should take care of it. Then go tell the steward to get his ass in line.

Lilly101

So you don’t want to have any “issues” with your supervisors, who are lying about knowing about your guarantee, sending you home and doing your work, but you don’t have a steward that “acts” like one. Well your steward will be better at “acting” like one when you act like a real Teamster. You have to insist you want to work your guarantee and if they don’t give it to you file a grievance. Tell us the whole story too please, do you have attendance issues? Report on time? Misloads til the cows come home? Why are they trying to ditch you?
I literally go in 15 minutes before the shift but realized they alter clock in to start time anyways so I make sure I am 5 minutes early. I don’t have misloads. And obviously I did question getting my guarantee.

Lilly101

I literally go in 15 minutes before the shift but realized they alter clock in to start time anyways so I make sure I am 5 minutes early. I don’t have misloads. And obviously I did question getting my guarantee.
They try to “get done early” that’s all they say

Sacrificial Lamb

Package Shepherd
File on them working and file for them not giving you your guarantee. If they try sending you home work as directed and then promptly file for the guarantee violation. Always request the steward or any trusted member to be a witness for management denying you your guarantee. Get to know your stewards and business agent. Also be prepared to file another grievance for harassment and union discrimination if it’s your first grievance. Best of luck to you.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
File on them working and file for them not giving you your guarantee. If they try sending you home work as directed and then promptly file for the guarantee violation. Always request the steward or any trusted member to be a witness for management denying you your guarantee. Get to know your stewards and business agent. Also be prepared to file another grievance for harassment and union discrimination if it’s your first grievance. Best of luck to you.
What’s union discrimination?

Sacrificial Lamb

Package Shepherd
What’s union discrimination?
Article 21 of the Master dealing with union activity. I’ve wrote grievances citing that article whenever I dealt with harassment for filing grievances.

Attachments

• FE957C2D-1EAF-4E5C-9670-501EAACA8652.jpeg
    FE957C2D-1EAF-4E5C-9670-501EAACA8652.jpeg
    159.8 KB · Views: 62

Lilly101

Ok so I talked to my steward the night after I posted and he said he can get me a grievance sheet but we would fill out off the clock. He also questioned me on what guarantee time was also which I found strange. I guess he got pulled away for a meeting when we finished work so we didn’t fill out. So tonight when I brought it up again he asked me if I knew that guaranteed hours go to seniority first, and I am newer that some employees. ( which I know I have been send home before people who start after me). From what I understand, anyone that is part of the union is guaranteed so I told him that. He than said he has a meeting with union people next week on a lot of issues going on in our warehouse so we cannot file right now. I just keep getting the run around and I guess I will have to call union hall again.

I will say, I believe the supervisors know I was trying to file because they moved me to 3 different locations tonight, 2 different pds and unload, and still had me leave 40 min earlier that 3 1/2 hrs

Sacrificial Lamb

Package Shepherd
Ok so I talked to my steward the night after I posted and he said he can get me a grievance sheet but we would fill out off the clock. He also questioned me on what guarantee time was also which I found strange. I guess he got pulled away for a meeting when we finished work so we didn’t fill out. So tonight when I brought it up again he asked me if I knew that guaranteed hours go to seniority first, and I am newer that some employees. ( which I know I have been send home before people who start after me). From what I understand, anyone that is part of the union is guaranteed so I told him that. He than said he has a meeting with union people next week on a lot of issues going on in our warehouse so we cannot file right now. I just keep getting the run around and I guess I will have to call union hall again.

I will say, I believe the supervisors know I was trying to file because they moved me to 3 different locations tonight, 2 different pds and unload, and still had me leave 40 min earlier that 3 1/2 hrs
You’ll have to check what supplemental language you fall under, and grab a copy of the contract for yourself. Here even the blue vests are guaranteed their 3.5. Get in touch with your local if as soon as you can if the stew doesn’t seem too enthusiastic. I would let them know of the behavior of the supes and let them know how they moved you around after exercising your rights. Personally I’ll just file. May have a seniority violation too, but without knowing what supplemental language you fall under, the local hall will be your best bet.