Grievence?

F

fourty03

Im not sure If I spelled that correctly.....
What is a "greivence" really?

Thanks in Advance

B

bam2

A grievence outside of the sense you find in a dictionary, is a formal appeal to have a problem or situation fixed. It is in writing. It needs to be done by a union member and submitted to a shop steward. It can cover every aspect of a contract. It can be major or minor. They mostly are related to your union's work place rules.

For example: an employee is not called in in seniority order and therefor misses out on the chance to work or because of a later start time a more junior employee gets more overtime.

This person then has a grievable case. He/She then goes to their shop steward who looks up the applicable contract language and then helps them to frame the grievance.

The shop steward then takes it to mgmt for action.

The proccess gets real complicated from here on out. It takes some of the good old boy network out of the work place and puts everybody under the same set of rules and procedures for handling problems.

More information can be found at the AFL-CIO website under training guides ofr shop stewards. Sorry, no link within reach, google it and you will find more info that you would believe.

B

badhab1

I suspect fourty is curious about the spelling. I doubt that your long response was necessary to a UPS Supervisor. (check his profile} JMHO

B

bam2

Point made.

Part of why I don't post here much is that I am
an infrequent visitor and may not catch all the nuances.

I am surprised that a stuporvisor would not already know the answer to the question posted by him.

How recently was he promoted?

D

dammor

If he is a sup he is an idiot. We can put anything on the profile we want and therefor we really have no clue who we are talking to here.
Some messages are best to ignore.

F

fourty03

first of all...... I am a supervisor ... I was just wondering in detail what and how would the grievence process works.... I never ever written anybody up before - nor that i want to .. I had a grievence written on me for working - (hey - I thought the guys wanted to go home sooner!!...) I been an non management employee for about one year and got promoted (or crawed to the darkside) around june ... Im not all that bad - did it for the money :-)

Thanks bam2 for a little detail

D

dammor

OK fourty03,

Sorry I was harsh. Sounds like you will be a good one. You'd better get some knowledge in the grievence procedure though. In my 23 years I have never filed one, but I see it all the time.
Take care

T

tieguy

The warning letter and the grievance have been way overabused over the years. Both should be considered a formal message that there is a problem that needs to be addressed. Both end up being a tool to slap the other side when communications break down.

F

feederdude

Fourty03,
Talk to your manager, he can have you attend a labor workshop to help you understand the process.
In a nut shell, when an employee has a concern, it first must be brought to the attention of management, if not resolved then a formal grievance is filed, then reviewed on a local level with your shop steward and B.A., then if a resolution isn't reached it goes to the panel hearing consisting of 3 union representatives and 3 company reps, then you have two folks in charge of each party to address any issues that haven't been discussed yet. It is much like a court setting.
If you ever get the chance to attend one, you will see it as a huge waste of time. The Business agents as well as the company labor managers are a huge drain on all of us. They may hear 5 cases a day, stay in hotels, eat meals and B.S.
I hope you get some direction to help you better understand the process, since if we do our jobs right the first time, we wouldn't need all of these BOZO'S.
We need to get as profitable as we can to grow the business.
Sorry for the long post, I got carried away with just thinking about how much money the company and the union waste on stupid stuff.
Feederdude
shoot.gif

F

fourty03

Yea, I thought most of it was Bs... thanks for the info guys! I now have a better understanding of it now -
so, the guy (hourly) that written me up really thought that I was trying to take work away from him..... I got written up when i first got promoted. Now, if i want my area to run and I dont want my employees to work harder than they are suppose to , i always grab somebody and make them watch me just to be on the safe side :-)agian thanks everyone

fourty03

J

jcroche

fourty03:

You state that you are a supervisor.

This means that you have a group of people that reports to you, and you are responsible for seeing that they perform their assigned tasks.

In your last post you say that "...Now, if i want my area to run and I dont want my employees to work harder than they are suppose to , i always grab somebody and make them watch me just to be on the safe side...".

Are you saying that the only way for your area to run is if you perform the work yourself?

While you are performing that hourly employee's function, who is watching over the rest of your area - the person you told to watch you? I don't think so. If he is, maybe he should be a supervisor.

fourty03, you are being paid to SUPERVISE - not perform the work. Granted there will be times when you will have to pitch in and give a hand (been there, done that, got lot's of T-shirts) but don't make a practice of it. A good supervisor holds his people accountable for their work.

That first day you came to work wearing a tie opened a lot of doors, but at the same time it closed some - you are no longer "one of the guys",
you're now "The Company" in the eyes of your peers. Your circle of friends will change. How you handle these changes in your life is up to you.
It all depends on what you are looking for. In one of your earlier posts, you stated "...Im not all that bad - did it for the money :-)..."

fourty03, if the only reason you went into supervision was "for the money", then you have no business being there. Having said that, do you plan to make UPS a career? Are you going to College? What do you plan for the rest of your life? Like you, I started out as a P/T supervisor in the Hub. UPS gave me opportunities that were unimaginable. What you do with them is up to YOU.

To fourty03 and the rest of the readers of this fine forum, I apologize for this lecture/diatribe, but it's how I feel.

jcr

F

fourty03

ok... i admit i am wrong ... what I said didnt come out right ... you are right - I am paid to supervise .... as far as the "did it for the money" phrase - it isnt all true - i mean , 1/3 of the idea about the pay caught my attention. I started out loading the trailers.. I busted my butt and the other guys could only do half of what I did and not even efficient enough I didnt mind working hard ... I was only getting about $150 a week if that after taxes...
I think that UPS is an excellent place to work. I enjoyed it so much I wrote a letter to become a supervisor. I wanted more responsibility, I wanted to be a great help to the people that I work for and the people who work for me.
As for me working
"i want my area to run and I dont want my employees to work harder than they are suppose to"
The people i supervise is great group of people. Each one could possibly sort around 1800pph any given time.. now thats a lot to sort ... I wish I could hold them accountable but the required rate is only 1200pph. and they work hard, dosnt give me any problems and is on time... They know I am a good supervisor - and i like to show them two ways, metally and physically... If there behind, i dont work but if were getting slam (like u said - lend a hand) Im not gonna leave until its done. I take my job seriously. If there is a problem, whoever needs me , they come and get me and most of the time it's solve.
I understand that I am not one of the guys ... i am the company. Whatever i do and whatever my decision based on work subjects will effect my areas and the whole hub....
Im glad u gave a lecture to me ... I should have breifly explained my self better and hope that this dosnt negatively change my attitude and image to you and other board members. I apologize for any things that i said which made me look like a bad person and not take my job seriously.

Thanks again - greatly appreciated it

T

tieguy

There is nothing wrong with having a conscience as a supervisor. Translate that feeling of guilt into making sure all your people carry their weight and not into you doing the work. Make sure those that are not carrying thier weight are well trained and know what they are doing. That is the time you should be loading when demonstrating as part of the training process. Your ability to teach others the skills that allowed you to be a good loader is what will make you successfull as a supervisor.