Ground Folks: Reactions to Delivering Express

robdabanks

We been dealing with express stuff for awhile. Nothing crazy, couple stops on each truck. The morning sort is a different story. They are so short handed, it takes them 9 hrs to get it done, even if they get it done without the contractors letting their guys leave.

Gone fishin

We been dealing with express stuff for awhile. Nothing crazy, couple stops on each truck. The morning sort is a different story. They are so short handed, it takes them 9 hrs to get it done, even if they get it done without the contractors letting their guys leave.
At some point ground and express hubs will have to be mainly automated or operating expenses will have to take a hit.

MAKAVELI

I hardly know any contractors that drive regularly anymore. There might be 1 or 2 out of the 15ish in my main terminal. The Ground network could handle pretty much all Express volume, the only issue would be time commits that I expect will always remain for Express PT couriers.
There's not enough of a part-time workforce to make that viable. The full-time drivers are the backbone of making Express commit times. Express is simply too big to gut without the whole company going down with it.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
The Ground network could handle pretty much all Express volume,
LMAO.gif

MAKAVELI

I hardly know any contractors that drive regularly anymore. There might be 1 or 2 out of the 15ish in my main terminal. The Ground network could handle pretty much all Express volume, the only issue would be time commits that I expect will always remain for Express PT couriers.
If you can't handle the commit times you can't handle Express volume.

MAKAVELI

In terms of volume it’s not really a big increase. It would be like a normal peak, fairly easy to adjust to. They are moving commercial stops over now, there’s no reason to think they’ll stop there.less
In terms of volume these 4Z packages isn't very much. Ground can't handle all of Express volume and meet time commits. This is more or less a test what Ground can handle.

Gone fishin

In terms of volume it’s not really a big increase. It would be like a normal peak, fairly easy to adjust to. They are moving commercial stops over now, there’s no reason to think they’ll stop there.
They have actually given back some of the freight we were handing off to ground. Ground can’t handle anymore because lack of help in my area

Mutineer

The issue in my area is will that second midday dispatch have enough on it to make it pay when you would otherwise have got the job done with 1 truck doing 1 dispatch? What you're likely to have in an area such as mine is you have the first one going out at about 8:30AM and chewing up out 2.5-3 hours out of the day just getting up to and back from his work area with the second truck going out about noon with whatever odds and ends he has on repeating the same exactly the same steps and covering the exact same area the other guy did 3 hours earlier. The only trouble is what if he only has a third of a load on but scattered all over the same high mileage area?

In your case if the first two went out loaded or near to it and the third went out with something near that and can support 2 trucks that would likely be ok but what if he's only going up with less than 50% load and can only support 1 truck due to distance and mileage?
Contractors/ISP's are compensated very differently than when you and I were in this game. Alot has changed. Some of the anticipated problems of this proposed debacle that would concern a contractor then, don't necessarily apply quite the same now.

Instead, you should busy yerself with the concerns of planning and clearing a landing field and welcome center for the black helicopters when they come to take yer guns.

bacha29

Contractors/ISP's are compensated very differently than when you and I were in this game. Alot has changed. Some of the anticipated problems of this proposed debacle that would concern a contractor then, don't necessarily apply quite the same now.

Instead, you should busy yerself with the concerns of planning and clearing a landing field and welcome center for the black helicopters when they come to take yer guns.
My guns are packed up crated and ready to go. The landing pad has been cleared , distinctly marked and an unobstructed approach path down through the "holler" has been established However one historic fact at G hasn't changed..... Three guys on every truck. 1 coming, 1 driving and 1 leaving. And as was noted earlier it'll only go on for so long until that reservoir of healthy young labor willing to go out there and kill themselves for half the wages and zero benefits is pumped dry. And given that the nation's population only grew 7% over the past decade plus an average of 12,000 boomers a day retiring for one reason or another and will continue at that pace at least for the next decade the development of delivery robots needs to rapidly accelerate it's pace.

bbsam

Staff member
“Oh! They will never send Express through Ground!”

If they’ve started and had limited success, why wouldn’t they continue to address the failures and move more and more to Ground?

I see absolutely no way this moves back the other way in any meaningful way.

bbsam

Staff member
In terms of volume these 4Z packages isn't very much. Ground can't handle all of Express volume and meet time commits. This is more or less a test what Ground can handle.
What Ground can handle and what they need to do to in order for Ground to handle more.