Ground meet points during peak.

Where'sMyRegularDriver?

Could you describe the ruckus, sir?
TLDR: Can a ground driver who left with a bricked out truck get in serious trouble for refusing a meet point for more work?

I am an air driver. During peak, years ago, I completed my air route and then went to help out the bldg closest to us. I loaded pkgs that didn't fit into the bricked out ground trucks into one of their trucks and was supposed to do 4 meet points. The ground drivers left around 10:30 and I was in their area by 11:30. I had a small amount for the 1st driver, but the other 3 filled 75% of the truck. The 1st meet point was no problem. The other 3 drivers refused because of space issues (all true). Their sup called them and told me to wait around for an hour and then try again. Two drivers refused and one driver gave me a non existent meet point address in front of a cemetery. The sup called them again to no avail. He told me to have the OMS keep sending messages to the drivers to meet me (??!!). 3 hours later I told the OMS that I was bringing the truck back 75% full because the sup couldn't make the drivers take the stops. So at 3:30pm, after I went home, the center manager walked by that truck and freaked the :censored2: out.

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
B355E21E-3068-4132-88C2-7BBBDCC7FB37.jpeg

sounds like a 22.4 to me

542thruNthru

TLDR: Can a ground driver who left with a bricked out truck get in serious trouble for refusing a meet point for more work?

I am an air driver. During peak, years ago, I completed my air route and then went to help out the bldg closest to us. I loaded pkgs that didn't fit into the bricked out ground trucks into one of their trucks and was supposed to do 4 meet points. The ground drivers left around 10:30 and I was in their area by 11:30. I had a small amount for the 1st driver, but the other 3 filled 75% of the truck. The 1st meet point was no problem. The other 3 drivers refused because of space issues (all true). Their sup called them and told me to wait around for an hour and then try again. Two drivers refused and one driver gave me a non existent meet point address in front of a cemetery. The sup called them again to no avail. He told me to have the OMS keep sending messages to the drivers to meet me (??!!). 3 hours later I told the OMS that I was bringing the truck back 75% full because the sup couldn't make the drivers take the stops. So at 3:30pm, after I went home, the center manager walked by that truck and freaked the :censored2: out.

Sure.

But its peak and a lot of things slide around then. Also any smart manager knows that if they discipline the drive. Next time he may take all that work and stuff his truck full and make sure to do 10 stops per hour and bring even more back to the building missed.

I know I would. ;)

Where'sMyRegularDriver?

Could you describe the ruckus, sir?
Sure.

But its peak and a lot of things slide around then. Also any smart manager knows that if they discipline the drive. Next time he may take all that work and stuff his truck full and make sure to do 10 stops per hour and bring even more back to the building missed.

I know I would. ;)
Thanks. I always wondered why the sup was so ineffective.

Bob11B

Supe is an idiot for sending you out there an hour after they left the building with the rest of their stuff, I would ignore my phone also.

Last edited:

iowa boy

Supe is an idiot for sending you out there an hour after they left the building with the rest of their stuff, I would ignore my phone also.

Oddly enough, we have the same type of stupid at our building. Give me the work, if they are lucky, you MIGHT get 10 an hour out of me.

Utility81

At my building we just have the air driver deliver the extra over size and bulk stops that will not fit in the package car. Why is this so difficult?
Getting paid ground to shuttle it. Why wait around until they are ready for it. They should have had the air driver deliver it. Kind of like when our safety B shuttles libs or misloads.

s berry

earth citymo hub, pkg s would be loaded into district manager's garage during peak, from floor to floor, and drivers were instructed to pick up and leave pkg s there on daily basis. can you imagine the fun we would have had if anything would have backfired on that maneuver, bye bye to quite a few members of management, instead,scotty moved onward and upward with his ups career

542thruNthru

earth citymo hub, pkg s would be loaded into district manager's garage during peak, from floor to floor, and drivers were instructed to pick up and leave pkg s there on daily basis. can you imagine the fun we would have had if anything would have backfired on that maneuver, bye bye to quite a few members of management, instead,scotty moved onward and upward with his ups career

UPS uses customers garages and other things for peak all the time. They also pay them for it.

barnyard

KTM rider
Exactly.
During peak, it takes me close to 90 minutes for each section. After an hour, I would not have 1 section done yet.

A couple of years ago, I had pieces from 6 stops ride with me for a week. I was so bricked out, that I could not reach them and by the time I could reach them, I was so far out of the area, that I could not run them. We were being called in on a curfew that week and it was not till the end of the week that I started delivering section 8 stops.

Other than late air, I would not take a pile of extra stops until at least 5 hours into the day.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
UPS uses customers garages and other things for peak all the time. They also pay them for it.
Yep. There was a local news story last peak where people were complaining that a POD container UPS paid to put in someone’s driveway was creating a blind spot for motorists. UPS promptly removed it.