Guaranteed 8

Appvol

When I was at the bottom if I was laid off I was able to work both part time shifts re-load and per-load to get my 8hrs.If you are laid off you can bump back to the part time shifts but couldn’t bump part timers that had more seniority at my center.

El Correcto

god is dead
When I was at the bottom if I was laid off I was able to work both part time shifts re-load and per-load to get my 8hrs.If you are laid off you can bump back to the part time shifts but couldn’t bump part timers that had more seniority at my center.
Do you get paid at your part time rate or full time rate?

Appvol

If not mistaking it was the highest rate at the part time employee. We had part timers making $30 dollars an hour or close to it.

Brownpants80

That's going to depend on your supplement.

In the Central Region, the top 90% are guaranteed 40 hours for the week.

Bid or cover driver.... it doesn't matter. The 10% drivers are only guaranteed 8 hours

if put to work. Any driver with a posted start time (and not put to work) is

entitled to 6 hours of show-up pay. And.... there is no On-Call status.

-Bug-
So if I show up to work, and they say go home I'm entitled to my 8 hours? 2 years in full time driver, central. I ask this because I've been sent home 1 day almost every week and my paycheck was not 40 hours.

542thruNthru

So if I show up to work, and they say go home I'm entitled to my 8 hours? 2 years in full time driver, central. I ask this because I've been sent home 1 day almost every week and my paycheck was not 40 hours.

Are you in the central region and are you in the top 90% of the drivers?

If so tell them you are demanding your 8 hours when they tell you to go home.

boxdust

I've been full time for two years, and have never been laid off. the best way for a cover driver to get a for sure 40 hrs is to make friends. there is always an old timer with a gimpy knee that will go home. I learned over 30 routes cold in my first year simple because I refused to take a layoff day. if dispatch tells you there is no work go in anyway and ask who wants to go home.

35years

Gravy route

6 hrs paid if you don't work...grievance.
8 hrs grievance if less senior worked.
8 hrs if you work.
Bldg wide seniority, not just Center.
Must make it clear you want your guarantee.
Have a witness.

Last edited:

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Hey @BigUnionGuy , is there any such thing as "on-call" in the Central Region and is any employee listed as such obligated to "call in" on any given day to see if work is available???

Mooseknuckle

This may be true where you are. In my region it's 8hrs guaranteed if you are on the schedule.

Which because of PT cover drivers means every fulltime driver is guaranteed 8 hours
And to add to that, if you are part time they need to tell you to return to preload or twilight to say you're laid off. You're "scheduled" unless they tell you to report to your inside part time position.

542thruNthru

And to add to that, if you are part time they need to tell you to return to preload or twilight to say you're laid off. You're "scheduled" unless they tell you to report to your inside part time position.

If you are "scheduled" for the week you are guaranteed your hours. Though this is a old thread. Now with 22.4s I wonder if the 5 consecutive days 8 hours a day is still in the SWP for cover drivers.

I'm assuming it is but we shall see.

Frontflip

22.4 here. Been working M-friend (and some Saturdays) since I qualified a few months ago and have been sent home twice because there wasn't enough routes. With the amount of drivers they have right now I'm expecting it to be a thing now that peak is slowing down.

Like the post above mentions, contract says we are guaranteed 5 consecutive days at 8 hours a piece. Do I have ground to demand 8 hours when they try to send me home? My supervisor said no, but the contract implies otherwise. I wouldn't mind having days off since I have another part time job that always has work but showing up to UPS just to be sent home is infuriating and doesn't allow me to work anywhere else that day.

upload_2019-12-29_11-13-48.png

542thruNthru

22.4 here. Been working M-friend (and some Saturdays) since I qualified a few months ago and have been sent home twice because there wasn't enough routes. With the amount of drivers they have right now I'm expecting it to be a thing now that peak is slowing down.

Like the post above mentions, contract says we are guaranteed 5 consecutive days at 8 hours a piece. Do I have ground to demand 8 hours when they try to send me home? My supervisor said no, but the contract implies otherwise. I wouldn't mind having days off since I have another part time job that always has work but showing up to UPS just to be sent home is infuriating and doesn't allow me to work anywhere else that day.

View attachment 277767

If you are scheduled to show up then they owe you 8 hours. Also make sure they are following seniority.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

View attachment 277767
Why aren't you working Tuesday through Saturday?