Handler to driver timeline?

Analbumcover

ControlPkgs
Hey guys/gals. I'm pursuing a career with UPS and I realize I almost need to start at the bottom to get anywhere. My question is, what's the timeframe like? Currently 30yrs old working full time at $20/hr, with a wife and kids, house, etc. My current job just isn't my passion.
I have 13yrs experience driving utility vans and box trucks, and quite accustomed to hard work and problem solving.
My goal is to be a package driver. I have a love for driving and a passion the outdoors, and a pursuit to get the job done right!
Trying to see if I could juggle the sunrise shift of a package handler and still keep my FT job, otherwise I would look for another PT job to supplement.

Size center and seniority is a factor, as is the age of the veterans. Our small center has a huge baby boomer population of full time drivers and many of them are starting to permanently clock out. Try getting hired as a reg-temp driver and/or Saturday air. It's a good way to get your foot in the door.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
My old building we couldn't get anybody to sign the bid. Last time we put up a FT bid there was one guy who signed it, here there is probably a 5+ year wait. Nobody can tell you with certainty how long it will take.

Mr.nobody

You don't like it?

If you have a choice I'd choose something else. Maybe go back to school. The only time UPS is worth it, is if you are backed in a corner financially and your family is starving. Other than that you will spend all day thinking how unhappy you are dealing with the company.

WorknLateHuh

If you have a choice I'd choose something else. Maybe go back to school. The only time UPS is worth it, is if you are backed in a corner financially and your family is starving. Other than that you will spend all day thinking how unhappy you are dealing with the company.

Damn man, those are some cold, morbid words. Go on a vacation or something.

i actually like my job, except the hours. But what other job has a 9.5 agreement where they pay you?

Tick Toc

Not everyone is unhappy. Some of us left perfectly good long-standing careers for a chance of being on the UPS team. There are plenty of harder jobs paying less. Perspective, folks. It's not that bad.

Boy, so many mixed opinions in here!

If I "try to get hired as a reg-temp driver" or "Saturday Air", what kind of schedule is that? Just whenever a driver goes on vacation? Is the Saturday Air meaning that I would only work saturdays? How do you get hired for that specifically? Assuming my local center has openings.
Thank you all for your tips and suggestions. It's changed my point of view slightly and gave me tons to consider!

jbg77

Hey guys/gals. I'm pursuing a career with UPS and I realize I almost need to start at the bottom to get anywhere. My question is, what's the timeframe like? Currently 30yrs old working full time at $20/hr, with a wife and kids, house, etc. My current job just isn't my passion.
I have 13yrs experience driving utility vans and box trucks, and quite accustomed to hard work and problem solving.
My goal is to be a package driver. I have a love for driving and a passion the outdoors, and a pursuit to get the job done right!
Trying to see if I could juggle the sunrise shift of a package handler and still keep my FT job, otherwise I would look for another PT job to supplement.

I'm currently making $22 per hour at my ft job, working preload at UPS, and a ptcd for UPS. I've been on preload 5 years this month and this is my 3rd year as a ptcd. I'm expecting fulltime either next year or the following year. Similar circumstances but I'm now 39.

I'm currently making $22 per hour at my ft job, working preload at UPS, and a ptcd for UPS. I've been on preload 5 years this month and this is my 3rd year as a ptcd. I'm expecting fulltime either next year or the following year. Similar circumstances but I'm now 39.

Can I assume your FT is some weekends? I'm 8-5 Mon-Fri right now. If/when I go for working preload at UPS, I'll have to make some changes.
Do you still enjoy your life?