Happy Father's Day!!

UPS Lifer

I just wanted to recognize all the dad's out there that work for UPS. You deserve special recognition. the nature of the business means that you are not always there for your children and I know it can be frustrating. Your kids, especially the little ones, don't always understand. You deserve to have a special day when you can be there with your family. Make sure you tell them how much you love and care for each one of them....after all that's all they really want....to know that you love them! I wish you all the very best. Thank you for all that you do at UPS!

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY!! :thumbup1:

moreluck

golden ticket member
"A father carries pictures where his money used to be. "

"He didn't tell me how to live; he lived, and let me watch him do it." ~Clarence Budington Kelland~

My father used to play with my brother and me in the yard. Mother would come out and say, "You're tearing up the grass." "We're not raising grass," Dad would reply. "We're raising boys." ~Harmon Killebrew

Happy Father's Day to all the dads!!

browniehound

I just wanted to recognize all the dad's out there that work for UPS. You deserve special recognition. the nature of the business means that you are not always there for your children and I know it can be frustrating. Your kids, especially the little ones, don't always understand. You deserve to have a special day when you can be there with your family. Make sure you tell them how much you love and care for each one of them....after all that's all they really want....to know that you love them! I wish you all the very best. Thank you for all that you do at UPS!

What a great post:thumbup1:

browniehound

"A father carries pictures where his money used to be. "

"He didn't tell me how to live; he lived, and let me watch him do it." ~Clarence Budington Kelland~

My father used to play with my brother and me in the yard. Mother would come out and say, "You're tearing up the grass." "We're not raising grass," Dad would reply. "We're raising boys." ~Harmon Killebrew

Happy Father's Day to all the dads!!

More, where did you get these quotes? I ask this because they are all great quotes and I don't think they came from memory(forgive if I'm wrong). Do you own a book of great quotes or something? I especially liked the quote by Harmon Killebrew. Baseball player turned philosopher.:w00t:

moreluck

golden ticket member
Brownie.....I just entered "Father's Day Quotes" on my Yahoo Search (I don't use google) and I picked these 3 quotes as my favorites of many that were listed.

maybrown

is not a woman

Needless to say how hard we work for the company.
My little girl also read your post. She wanted to say "Thank you"
Yes! we will have a good father's day with all meaning!

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Yes Fathers enjoy the day, spend time with the family and do something nice for yourself. Indulge a little, take the kids fishing, or swimming or boating, or whatever it is you all enjoy. And dont forget to drag your dear old DAD along, or at least give him a call if thats not possible.
Great quotes as always Moreluck, Ups lifer.

Sammie

I just wanted to recognize all the dad's out there that work for UPS. You deserve special recognition. the nature of the business means that you are not always there for your children and I know it can be frustrating. Your kids, especially the little ones, don't always understand. Thank you for all that you do at UPS!

That's the truth. I remember many years of leaving work in the evening and walking out with guys who missed taking their kids out for Halloween, or who missed yet another school function because of the late hours.

Great thoughts here on this one!!

upsgrunt

A great thread and posts from 3 of my favorites: UPS Lifer, Moreluck, and Tooner. Thanks to you all for your great thoughts and posts- I really enjoy and appreciate your input and ideas.:thumbup1:

local804

Thank you

diesel96

A special wish goes out to Dad's who can't spend Father's Day with their son's or daughter's in the military.Our only wish is that they come home safely one day,and they be allowed to call Dad on Father's day.

Raw

Raw Member
"In that first memory of my father, when I was just a little boy, what I feel is absolute terror. As I sit here writing this, tears come to my eyes because it is very sad that little boy was so terrified of his father."
[SIZE=-1]***[/SIZE]"What my father did do that was traumatic and excessive is take me down and tickle me. I hated that. I hated it so much that by the time I was about 9 or 10 I heard someplace, in some context, about "mind over matter" and I willed myself not to be ticklish anymore. I realized in Recovery that tickling me was probably the only way it was okay for my father to be physically intimate with me. He certainly would never hug me - so his way of being physically close to me was to tickle me.
How sad that my father's only way of being physically intimate with me was abusive." :laugh:

Raw

Raw Member
My earliest memory of my father involves a trivial incident that happened when I was 3 or 4 and playing with some cousins. The incident was trivial but what I am feeling in the memory is not trivial at all. In that first memory of my father, when I was just a little boy, what I feel is absolute terror. As I sit here writing this, tears come to my eyes because it is very sad that little boy was so terrified of his father.

My father never beat me, or physically abused me (with an exception that I will note in a few moments) but he did rage. He was/is a perfectionist and he raged when things did not go the way he wanted. I was just a little boy who couldn't very often do things perfectly. The reason my father raged is that he was raised to believe that the only emotion it was acceptable for a man to feel was anger. He had/has absolutely no permission to feel scared or hurt or sad. If he feels any of those emotions he turns them into anger.

Raw

Raw Member
So, you might have guessed by now that I am feeling a lot of sadness about my father as I write this column on Father's Day. I am also feeling very grateful and blessed. I do not have to be like my father. Because of the wonderful miracle of the Twelve Steps, the knowledge of Codependence and the tools of Recovery that are available to me, I can change my childhood training - I do not have to be like my father. My father has never had the opportunity to honor and own his fear; never had the blessing of grieving - with heaving sobs and streaming tears - the pain and sadness of life. Because my father never got to do these things, he has never really owned himself. He has never truly been able to be fully alive - he has endured, he has survived - but he has never honored the pain of life or felt the overwhelming Joy of being alive. He has never truly lived. How sad that my father has never been able to own the sadness of life so that he could feel the Joy of it. How wonderful that I can cry tears of sadness for my father and for that little boy who was so terrified of his hero. :thumbup1:

upsgrunt

Raw, I'm sorry for you, but I am also curious about something; whenever anybody else pours out a personal story like yours your response is either "boo hoo" , "who cares!", or something to the effect of "so what". Why would YOU think any of us would have compassion for you now?(not that I don't) Is the negative attitude in your posts from the treatment you received as a child? If so, I can understand a little. I guess what I'm saying is- by your posts on this forum you sure don't show that you learned how to treat other people better than the way you were treated as a child.
I'm not trying to beat you down, just trying to understand.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I want to wish all the fathers out there a Happy Father's Day too. Mine has been gone for about eighteen years now, but he was a great man and I think of him everyday still. If I turn out half as good as him, that will be a true blessing. If your father is still alive, I hope that you visit him. If he doesn't live nearby, pick up the phone and call him, one day you won't be able to do that. My youngest son got out there and cut the grass for me today. And his brother is going to come home from college to visit and spend the night with us. Its the simple things like that I have come to appreciate, my wife and I are so proud of both of them.