Happy New Year to all !!!!

xracer

Just wanted to take at moment here to wish one and all a very Happy and Safe New Years. This is a thread to spread good cheer and joy and to make everyone think about the things that they should be thankful for and the things that they have and not the things that they don't have. Don't worry about the person that has more than you, worry about the person who has less than you and try to touch their life in some way that will help them out, remember a smile is infectious so try giving one to somebody every chance you get after all they are free.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Your avitar and these words you posted brought tears to my eyes

has more than you,touch their life in some way, make everyone think about the things, is infectious, every chance you get after all they are free.

Are you trying to come clean, or maybe are you coming out of the feed room instead of the closet?

:lol:

Maybe there are some habits you could quit for the next year?

Ewe

Happy new year!

d

xracer

possibly this post was to just draw out the :censored2: ::censored2::'s in the group, and you made it a successful endeavor.

Last edited:

DS

Fenderbender
lol to your response to dannyboy
and I wish everyone in the brown cafe`
a fruitful and refreshing new year.

xracer

Thanks DS, just here trying to spread a little holiday cheer. Obviously some need it more than others. Danny you should be thankful, that lump of coal that you recieved in your stocking this year is a good thing with the rising cost of heating..

UPSmeoff

Happy new year.
I hope you are all watching football and eating plenty of kraut and pork, or maybe some hoppin' johns depending on where you live.
I think this is the best day of the year.

moreluck

golden ticket member
UPSmeoff......Pork & Kraut is in the crockpot right now and the whole house "stinks" good. That meal is suppose to bring good luck for the new year.

moreluck

golden ticket member
For Southerners.....
Why black-eyed peas?

Their reputation for bringing luck in the new year began in the Deep South

03:13 PM CST on Sunday, January 1, 2006

By KIM PIERCE / Special Contributor to The Dallas Morning News
Black-eyed peas have symbolized good fortune since ancient Egyptian times. But eating these members of the lentil family on New Year's Day to ensure good luck for the coming year is a tradition bound up in several threads of Southern history.At the center is Hoppin' John, a beloved South Carolina comfort food that combines black-eyed peas, rice, and ham or bacon.

GOOD LUCK: This shortcut version of Hoppin' John starts with canned black-eyed peas. Be sure to set out plenty of hot sauce.
"Hoppin' John, like almost all rice-and-bean dishes, is considered lucky, especially when served on New Year's Day," writes culinary historian John Thorne. " 'Eat poor that day, eat rich the rest of the year' is both the explanation and the hope."
To further cement one's luck, the meal was eaten as soon after midnight as possible. A dime might be hidden in the dish, enhancing the luck of the one who found it. And greens typically eaten with Hoppin' John were thought to symbolize paper money.
Mr. Thorne posits that the dish came with slaves from West Indies rice plantations to South Carolina's Gullah, or Low Country, where a rice-based culinary tradition flourished.
Hoppin' John is widely believed to be African in origin, with its similarity to African and West Indian dishes. Rice also is indigenous to Africa, and black-eyed peas, or cowpeas, were among the foods Africans brought to the Americas.

Hoppin' John made its transition from slave quarters to the main house in South Carolina by at least 1847, when The Carolina Rice Kitchen includes a recipe. Culinary historian Karen Hess suggests that some Southerners may have been ambivalent about eating an ancestral slave dish.
But in at least one Southern city, the Civil War changed that. At the siege of Vicksburg, black-eyed peas stood between the residents and starvation, earning the humble pea new respect.
The origins of the name are uncertain. One possibility suggested by Ms. Hess and others: The name is a bastardization of the French Creole term for black-eyed peas: pois pigeon (pronounced "pwah pee-JON").
Kim Pierce is a Dallas freelance writer.
ONE-POT QUICK HOPPIN' JOHN

Saute the sausage, onion, green pepper, celery and garlic in a large pot over medium-high heat. Drain and return to the pot. Add chicken broth, rice, salt, peppers and bay leaf. Bring to boil, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Drain and rinse black-eyed peas, then add to the pot and simmer an additional 5 to 10 minutes, until liquid is absorbed into the rice. Makes 8 servings.

outta hours

I live in the south and ate black eyed peas one year. It was the worst year I ever had. Vowed after that never to eat them again. I am not a southern native so maybe that is why they did not work. LOL