Harambe-The silver back gorilla

Do you think OpNeeds is the Purple Princess?

• Total voters

542thruNthru

I blame the Zoo gorilla enclosure designers.
WTF were they thinking?
Keeping costs down?
It doesn't cost that much to put up a 4 foot fence.

Now I haven't done any research on how long the gorilla enclosure has been there or how many people visit this zoo a year but I would say maybe a million people have been to that enclosure and this has never happen. So I can't blame the zoo for a parent losing track of there kid. What if he just would have ran out in front of one of the bus tour things or something? Should they have fencing everywhere so you cant leave a 5 foot wide path anywhere in the zoo?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Now I haven't done any research on how long the gorilla enclosure has been there or how many people visit this zoo a year but I would say maybe a million people have been to that enclosure and this has never happen. So I can't blame the zoo for a parent losing track of there kid. What if he just would have ran out in front of one of the bus tour things or something? Should they have fencing everywhere so you cant leave a 5 foot wide path anywhere in the zoo?
This might help then ...
... a 4-year-old boy went over a stainless steel rail that's a little more than 3 feet high, with vertical bars every eight feet. He made his way through the bushes to the edge of the moat, a distance of approximately 4 feet. From there, he dropped 15 feet to the moat, into a foot and a half of water.

Cinncinati Gorilla Enclosure design.jpg

Last edited:

542thruNthru

This might help then ...
... a 4-year-old boy went over a stainless steel rail that's a little more than 3 feet high, with vertical bars every eight feet. He made his way through the bushes to the edge of the moat, a distance of approximately 4 feet. From there, he dropped 15 feet to the moat, into a foot and a half of water.
> Key to me is the fact there was no fence (just a 3 foot rail) between humans and 15 foot drop to moat and consequently, the gorillas:
View attachment 83180

I understand how it went down. The issue I'm having is I don't see how you can blame the zoo when probably a million people a year go to this exhibit and this has never happened. If the kid was to crawl into your backyard and get attacked by your dog do you think you should be sued for that?

Sportello

I understand how it went down. The issue I'm having is I don't see how you can blame the zoo when probably a million people a year go to this exhibit and this has never happened. If the kid was to crawl into your backyard and get attacked by your dog do you think you should be sued for that?
If I charged him money to get in, darn straight. If he broke in, not so much.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I don't have a dog but I do have a pool and surrounding it are 4 foot fences or higher with a minimum of 4 inches between vertical supports.
Both gates have childproof locks at least 5 feet off the ground.

PS - I don't charge people to come see my pool or my cat ... when one charges and invites the public, there are more legal and moral responsibilities.

I don't think anyone was culpable but simple analysis begs for better improvements to protect humans that have minimal judgment (4 or 3 year old). I don't think we feel that differently about this but once a "defect" is found and the probability and impact analysis is performed, a solution should be effected.

And you may be right ... maybe the National Zoo Guidelines were conformed to and the Cincy Zoo may do nothing.

I think I reacted more to the absurdity of blaming a mother for losing physical contact with her son while she is taking a picture.

542thruNthru

I don't have a dog but I do have a pool and surrounding it are 4 foot fences or higher with a minimum of 4 inches between vertical supports.

PS - I don't charge people to come see my pool or my cat ... when one charges and invites the public, there are more legal and moral responsibilities.

I don't think anyone was culpable but simple analysis begs for better improvements to protect humans that have minimal judgment (4 or 3 year old). I don't think we feel that differently about this but once a "defect" is found and the probability and impact analysis is performed, a solution should be effected.

And you may be right ... maybe the National Zoo Guidelines were conformed to and the Cincy Zoo may do nothing.

I think I reacted more to the absurdity of blaming a mother for losing physical contact with her son while she is taking a picture.

I am not blaming the mother. I have a kid I know how quickly they can disappear. I also don't think she should be allowed to sue the zoo for what is technically her fault. Everything I read Said the Kid snuck under and crawled through the bushes. It didn't say he jumped the fence and ran through and jumped over. To me sneaking in takes more than the time to take a picture. All I think is both sides have already suffered. The mother learned a lesson about how quickly things can go wrong. The zoo learned a lesson also and lost a gorilla.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus

I disagree. When I chose to have my kids it was with the thought that the basic safety of my kids is MY responsibility and not the responsibility of society. Now if an animal escaped from their enclosure, hell yeah I'd sue. But the fact that the parents failed to control their child should not be cause for a lawsuit. We cannot fence the world to protect our children. At some point parents have to be held responsible.

Last edited:

542thruNthru

If I charged him money to get in, darn straight. If he broke in, not so much.

So every MLB and NFL stadium should be sued for not having high enough fences to keep fans out. So when they are tackled or tazered they should be paid money. I mean you bought a ticket right?

oldngray

nowhere special
So every MLB and NFL stadium should be sued for not having high enough fences to keep fans out. So when they are tackled or tazered they should be paid money. I mean you bought a ticket right?

Or when some drunken idiot falls off the upper deck is it the stadium's fault?

oldngray

nowhere special
  • USDA requires wildlife perimeter fences 6-8 feet high
  • Exhibit trenches take away fencing requirements
Federal regulations from the USDA require zoos to have a 6-foot fence for primates and smaller animals including foxes and bobcats. For larger predators including lions and bears - the fences must be 8 feet.

USDA regulations don't require any fencing as long as there's a natural barrier, such as a trench, surrounding the exhibit
Examining safety around Columbus Zoo and Aquarium animal enclosures