Has the union ever really helped you or do they always side with Management

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Yep and that was my point coming on anonymous message board throwing around accusations about improprieties is chicken:censored2: in my opinion. If his executive board and business agents are using funds improperly do something about it.

All Locals are financially audited by the IBT every 5 years.

I saw them force another agent in my Local to reimburse $1.42 for over-tipping, when out of town at the panel.

They look at everything....

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
All Locals are financially audited by the IBT every 5 years.

I saw them force another agent in my Local to reimburse $1.42 for over-tipping, when out of town at the panel.

They look at everything....
what's that old saying?

power tends to corrupt
absolute power corrupts absolutely?

Nah
But what if it was truly amazing service? Never had to ask for anything. Your pop is refilled before you even know you need a refill. Extra napkins and condiments. And friendly.

Thebrownblob

Shouldn't that apply to the meal itself too, though?
Business agents do get Per diem to eat when they are doing union business.

Every local is different I’m sure. Most people think being a business agent is lucrative. I can make more as a driver or at least as much, and have less headache. If you don’t have the desire or passion to do the job it won’t take long to be obvious.

JL 0513

Union dues for a top rate driver is currently over $6,300 over the course of a 5 year contract.

While I'm thankful for the Union, that's a little tough to swallow. Can't help but wonder how it's spent.

Brownnote

Lol ever heard of a LM2, and audits? it’s not smoke and mirrors trust me.
Ever look at a LM2? I believe the majority of local's do the right thing. But a LM2 won't show you anything, neither will a tax return. And an audit only looks at the math for the bottom numbers. The stuff that's shady is the stuff we all know about. It's ALL about pension contribution, legacy hires... Or at my local we have one "barn" that has one woman (a barn of 1) $20 a week= healthcare and bennies. You'll never find the dirt with a LM2 (because they like it that way)

Brownnote

Yep and that was my point coming on anonymous message board throwing around accusations about improprieties is chicken:censored2: in my opinion. If his executive board and business agents are using funds improperly do something about it.
What do you do?
I want to see the books!
Nope.
I'll enforce my rights under the NLRA and take you to court!
Ok... I'll just use your money to pay the lawyer to extend the court date, it'll give me time to fix the books and make a deal with the center manager. I hear they're building a case against you... Maybe you want to cool your jets and get out
(Brother, your local must be better than mine)

Thebrownblob

What do you do?
I want to see the books!
Nope.
I'll enforce my rights under the NLRA and take you to court!
Ok... I'll just use your money to pay the lawyer to extend the court date, it'll give me time to fix the books and make a deal with the center manager. I hear they're building a case against you... Maybe you want to cool your jets and get out
(Brother, your local must be better than mine)
Every local is an open book when it comes to what they spend because it’s required. They read the minutes in every meeting, with The financial reports. They have audits from the international as well as they have to file every year with the government almost to a Nats ass what is spent and how. It is your right as a member of the local to question any of it.

Thebrownblob

Ever look at a LM2? I believe the majority of local's do the right thing. But a LM2 won't show you anything, neither will a tax return. And an audit only looks at the math for the bottom numbers. The stuff that's shady is the stuff we all know about. It's ALL about pension contribution, legacy hires... Or at my local we have one "barn" that has one woman (a barn of 1) $20 a week= healthcare and bennies. You'll never find the dirt with a LM2 (because they like it that way)
How about go to a meeting stand up and ask? These are not accounting wizards who are capable and understand how to hide things. Nor do most of them want to put their neck out and go to jail.

Whither

Scofflaw
Union dues for a top rate driver is currently over $6,300 over the course of a 5 year contract.

While I'm thankful for the Union, that's a little tough to swallow. Can't help but wonder how it's spent.

My wife spends twice that over 5 years in the IBEW. Don't get me wrong: we should demand a strong union, and do what we can to make our locals stronger, but we don't pay much in dues.

Brownnote

How about go to a meeting stand up and ask? These are not accounting wizards who are capable and understand how to hide things. Nor do most of them want to put their neck out and go to jail.
My local has... issues. Not all Mr Blob, I only speak of mine. My complaints never surround theft but grift and anyone who asks too many questions is...doomed. And let's be honest, anyone that goes to jail didn't play ball with the guy above him. At the moment I'm dealing with an "illegal subject bargain" (not just mine, nobody noticed) that was made by my local. The union and UPS are guilty but member fallout is viewed as exclusively a union affair, so deals (or more appropriate word is trades) are made. The nosy are the first to go. You mentioned politics in a railroad thred and what strings where attached to Washington. You have no idea. I'm new, haven't been around to piece guys to location's. I'm from Massachusetts, just heard a plane over my house landing at Logan. It's all about the..."airplanes". Big changes coming. I know, how ambiguous. (If things don't go my way today, Ill stop being ambiguous. If they do, I'll just respond to "newbie" questions)

Gabba

It's a vicious cycle
yep, i would've been fired by my crazy liar of a center manager ages ago if not for the union. and in that dispute the union helped me fight my 5 day suspension.