Have heard in Upstate Ny. UPS is already doing 10/4 areas

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
Isn't dot regs. We are only allowed to be on road for no more than 11 hrs a day? They won't be able to give us more work than that. Is there a loop hole I'm missing?

over9five

Staff member
Isn't dot regs. We are only allowed to be on road for no more than 11 hrs a day? They won't be able to give us more work than that. Is there a loop hole I'm missing?
Yes. You can be onroad for 14 hours. You can't DRIVE more than 11. Delivering and picking up (when your car isn't moving) doesn't count towards your 11 hours of driving.

brown_trousers

3 day weekends? LOL! The 4 10s is not going to be a schedule that befits you, it will be determined by the company which 4 out of 7 days you will be working. When you get scheduled on Saturday, just remember that you don't get overtime until after 10 paid hours on the 4 10s schedule. Your long weekends may only consist of 1 day ... lol

Actually.... there would have to be at least a 2 day weekend in there because DOT requires a 34 hour reset to replenish your 60 allowed hours in a week. Then UPS would pick another day off for you(maybe at random). In any case, there are people that would prefer this setup over the existing 5 day week. And it would be spelled out on the bid sheet, so only the people who like those hours would bid.

I dont see the point in restricting peoples options. If we can give our fellow brothers and sisters more options for their work schedule, all the better.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
Yes. You can be. onroad for 14 hours. You can't DRIVE more than 11. Delivering and picking up (when your car isn't moving) doesn't count towards your 11 hours of driving.
So if they give you a ten hr day. Then anything past that is OT. How can they or us able to calculate non moving? I see it as my drive back is at OT rate. And still be off the clock before the eleventh hr. For DOT.

What'dyabringmetoday???

Actually.... there would have to be at least a 2 day weekend in there because DOT requires a 34 hour reset to replenish your 60 allowed hours in a week. Then UPS would pick another day off for you(maybe at random). In any case, there are people that would prefer this setup over the existing 5 day week. And it would be spelled out on the bid sheet, so only the people who like those hours would bid.

I dont see the point in restricting peoples options. If we can give our fellow brothers and sisters more options for their work schedule, all the better.
Your comment on requiring 34 hours is somewhat inaccurate.

In any four out of seven days, you cannot hit 60 hours (unless weather layover, etc.), so you do not need a restart. What is interesting is the new hours of service rules effective July 1, 2013. Concerning the restart, it states :
(1) Must include two periods from 1 a.m. to 5 a.m., home terminal time.
(2) May only be used once per week, 168 hours, measured from the beginning of the previous restart.

Personally, I am against the forcing of 4 10's on us. It is one part of a supplement that should never have been brought to the membership to vote on. Feeders is a 24/7 operation, and there is no reason that the days worked could not be a 4 P.M. Tuesday Thursday Saturday Sunday schedule, for example. For families, and people that enjoy spending time with nonUPS people, this would not be good. Of course, there is the language in the supplement TA that employees hired before August 1, 2013 shall not be "required" to fill the 10 4 jobs. LOL LOL When they cut a bunch of jobs, and there are only 10 4 jobs left, you will be "required" to take one of these jobs to stay in feeders.