Have i waited to late for UPS

FAVREFAN

In response to being too late for UPS, I had to work a couple of days before some of the centre workers questioned me about the same issue. Seeing that I'm almost 40 and now in my 3rd month as a Part Time driver, I've had more than one strange look or two.

When going through the hiring process and ultimately on to working at the centre, I'm now wondering if it was the right decision to even try on the uniform (although I do make it look good :wink2:) I also certainly had some misconceptions about the job. I wasn't worried about the hard work I just figured it would be be "different". I will say that I haven't worked there long enough to make my final judgement about being a UPSer... lets just wait and see if I can pass my probation period first!

My previous job as a member of a construction crew paid $4.00 more an hour than what I now make as a driver... (yes, you can make the argument that working from a truck is better than working in a physically demanding outdoor environment. I will also state that we had a 15 min. coffee break in the morning and a 1/2 lunch. How would you think UPS would react to someone walking away from the car and DIAD for 45 min.) All things being equal, it makes a typical working day at UPS (8.5 - 10 hr day) a money losing proposition. Factor your Part Time status, waiting time for benefits, union membership, time until optimum wage for Part Timers then after that, Full Time and the wait for maximum wage for that etc etc...

Please understand that I do know that there are always benefits and downsides to every job and every organization that people can work for. It just initially suprised me, when going through orientation, finding out that you may have to wait years to reap what you've sown during your tenure with UPS.

For arguments sake I'll use the much beaten dead horse, McDonald's analogy. You "could" put 3 years into McDonald's and become a store manager and while employed at UPS during the same time frame, you "could" still be Part Time, "on call" and/or a cover driver. Yes, you could be a superstar/be a lucky - unlucky Son Ofriend a Bun and venture into management and move onward and upward or to whatever area that you feel would satisfy your own needs. You have to know yourself if it's too late to work for UPS. I'm questioning it so don't worry, it's normal to have doubts. I know I've stated it before... don't wait too long to find out that the job is not a right fit for you. Don't waste too much time calling out "UPS!" when you could be be in a better posistion by asking "Would you like fries with that?"

Good Luck my friend
Great post man. Good luck to you. I hope it all works out. Bury every penny you can into your 401(k) and before you know it, you'll be out of there. In 20 years you'll be 59 1/2. So maybe UPS will be a 20 more years thing for you. Do your best, keep your head up and believe in yourself. You seem intelligent, be intelligent with your money and you will do fine. Pension,401(k),Soc. Sec.?(canada),Savings. Put it all together for a happily ever after. Good luck to you!

Dutch Dawg

If you're questioning whether you can make it to retirement after only 9 months on the job, maybe you'd better do some serious thinking.

feeder53

ADKtrails
I am just starting at UPS and I have 20 years in the teamsters in a freight barn then 18 years in the military and now. You are only as old as you feel...........

Channahon

I WORKED FOR FRITO-LAY 5YEARS AND BUD THE BEER COMPANY lol for 5 years .

You seem to like to drive and be on your own during the day. I would have stuck with the Frito Lay job, lighter boxes, easier on the body.

Ironically, When I took my withdrawal card from the union when I went into management so many years ago, that was my Plan B in case UPS didn't work out for me

Good luck - sounds like you and your wife have a plan

Hey, how does Social Security work in Canada?
Thx FARVEFAN for the positive comments. Sorry for the "cut and paste" format of this quick reply. Talking about Social Security (Canada Pension Plan) will give BOTH of us headaches! lol. Here is the gist of what happens up in in the Great White North:

Old Age Security (OAS)
The OAS pension is available to most Canadians starting at the age of 65. OAS provides additional benefits to eligible low-income seniors:
    • Guaranteed Income Supplement (GIS) – for OAS pensioners
    • Allowance – for 60 to 64 year-old spouses or common-law partners of pensioners who receive GIS
    • Allowance for the survivor – for 60 to 64 year-old widowed spouses or common-law partners
    • Canada Pension Plan (CPP)
      The Canada Pension Plan (CPP) provides contributors and their families with retirement, disability, survivor, death and children’s benefits.
    • The retirement pension is a monthly payment available to CPP contributors as early as 60 years of age.
    • The disability benefit is a monthly benefit available to qualified CPP contributors and their dependent children.
    • Survivor benefits are paid to a deceased contributor’s estate, surviving spouse or common-law partner and dependent children. Benefits include:
      • The death benefit – a one-time payment to, or on behalf of, the estate of a deceased Canada Pension Plan contributor;
      • The survivor's pension – a monthly pension paid to the surviving spouse or common-law partner of a deceased contributor; and
      • The children's benefit – a monthly benefit for dependent children of a deceased contributor.
International benefits
If you have lived or worked in another country, or you are the surviving spouse or common-law partner of someone who has lived or worked in another country, you may be eligible for benefits from Canada or from the other country under a social security agreement.

Here is the website to peruse if you are so inclined. Take care... I feel your Packers pain. My Jags hit the golf course a lot earlier that your team...

http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/en/gateways/nav/top_nav/program/isp.shtml

satellitedriver

LOL SHE IS ON NIGHT SHIFT ONCE SHE GOES DAYS SHE WILL BE AT 31 SO WE ARE THINKING IF WE BOTH MADE 31+ AN HOUR WE WILL BE IN GREAT SHAPE FOR THE FUTURE
It ain't what you make. It's what you save and invest.
I started UPS at the age of 33.
21yrs later I am still pushing wind out of the way of my pkg car.
There is hope for you to make it.
PAX

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I didn't start until I was 28 after having spent 8 years in the Air Force. The first 19 have flown by--11 more to go. As satellite aptly said, it's not how much you make, but how much you are able to save and invest. I currently set aside 20% to my 401k and hope to be able to go to 25% and also take advantage of the "catch-up" provision when I turn 50 (not too far away) which allows us to set aside an additional $5K/yr tax deferred.

One thought that hasn't been discussed is the fact that you don't necessarily have to go for a full pension. You are vested after 5 years and become eligible to receive a pension after 15 years of service. True, it will be a lesser amount, but it will still be a monthly check which, when coupled with your 401k, Social Security, and other investments, may be enough to provide you with a comfortable retirement.

You are the only one who can decide whether you waited too long or whether you are willing to make the commitment to this job to ensure your future security.

Last edited:

RICESKI

Hi,
Do you know how the contract labor for delivery is treated here in SC? I am in the Columbia area and have made it through most of the hiring process down to having them send me a 30 page contract. I am wondering how I will fare making only 85 cents a mile and about on average 5.00 a pick up or so. To make money here there must be a large number of stops in a day with not too many miles with fuel the way it is. Just hoping my fears are unfounded that I could find myself losing after paying 28% to taxes right off the bat. Seems UPS would understand to keep qualified men like me they must make it viable. I am not seeing real viability in the contract. Perhaps it is me? If you are a contract driver using your own vehicle, please fill me in..