Having Back Surgery

King Of Queens

I am having minor back surgery on my back tomorrow due to a work related inj... It has to do with my L4 L5 S1 in my lower lumbar.... just wanted to know if anyone out there has had there back worked on abd how you came out of it, thanks

I don't have experience with back surgery so I'm no help on that part. Something you really need to do ASAP, is contact the union had have them send you a temp withdrawal card so you don't have to pay dues while you are out. Nothing really changes in your membership etc., except that you don't have to catch up on dues when you get back to work.

dillweed

Best of luck and speedy recovery wishes from here.

For all the worker's comp horror shories we hear there are many, many with happy endings. I'm glad your waiting is over and that you'll soon be fixed up and starting to heal.

Will be rooting for you and watching for positive news. Just take it easy, follow the doctor's orders and give your bod time to recover.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
For you its too late.

But for others that have back injuries, there are usually better ways to treat injuries than jumping to surgery. While it is always an option, it should be the last one, not the first one like so many doctors seem to want.

For workers comp injuries to the back, UPS has to offer at least one other option besides the usual panel of three. Usually a chiropractor.

d

raceanoncr

I am having minor back surgery on my back tomorrow due to a work related inj... It has to do with my L4 L5 S1 in my lower lumbar.... just wanted to know if anyone out there has had there back worked on abd how you came out of it, thanks
Have had cervical fushion (don't remember what numbers), two knee arthos, two total hip replacements, one am out with right now.

Was doing just fine from other ops. Now just recovering (Jan 5) from this latest. Am going to do fine from this too. Need to know anything else bout it?

Wanna see my scars?

rod

Retired 22 years
I know several drivers that have had back surgery.(one of them is going in for his 3rd one). The majority of them are doing fine now. I hope you aren't a smoker as they tend to not heal so fast. For those that are experiencing back pain a good honest Chriopractor will be able to tell real quick if they can help you or not. Mine sent me to a medical doctor who sent me to therapy where I ended up being put in traction like twice a week for a couple of months. At first I would come out of therapy feeling worse than when I went in. What ever they did worked and I haven't had any back pain for many years. Good luck

Johney

King,
I really don't think there is such a thing as minor back surgery:biting:. Anyways good luck to you and I wish you a speedy recovery.

Johney

Have had cervical fushion (don't remember what numbers), two knee arthos, two total hip replacements, one am out with right now.

Was doing just fine from other ops. Now just recovering (Jan 5) from this latest. Am going to do fine from this too. Need to know anything else bout it?

Wanna see my scars?
Dam:knockedout: only one scar or more than me:whiteflag:. Good luck in your recovery also.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ

I'm just glad you're not having minor back surgery on your front tomorrow. If you were, I'd say your Dr. was a quack.:wink2: Was this surgery a first choice or did you get a second opinion? I'm not an expert and don't claim to know all the particulars involved in your case. I'm just hoping that you covered all bases before having this procedure done. From what I've seen over the years, back surgery can be hit or miss, and I'd hate for you to be one of those guys that ends up not getting the situation fully corrected.​

Sorry, I'm just one of those guys that likes to know all the details, before I commit. Hope this turns out well for you, our family will be praying for you and yours through this time.

Re-Raise

King I had a microdiscectomy on the L5 disk which was ruptured in my back. I went to the chiropractor once who told me " I don't think it is a disk problem or you would be in more pain" Huh?

He proceded to try to twist me around ( I am 6'1 and 190 ) and I was way worse for his efforts. He said "there don't you feel better" like he was trying to convince me rather than listen to me. I have no faith in them at all.

Anyway an MRI showed a 1 inch rupture and the nuerosurgeon said I needed surgery immediately. What gave me the most trouble wasn't lifting,it was sitting. I had to eat dinner laying on my stomach because I couldn't sit at the table after work.

To answer your question I am doing great. I was off work for about 12 weeks and really had to ease myself back into it. The surgery was 13 years ago and I have no ill effects from it.

If you have any other questions I'll try to answer them for you.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
King I had a microdiscectomy on the L5 disk which was ruptured in my back. I went to the chiropractor once who told me " I don't think it is a disk problem or you would be in more pain" Huh?

He proceded to try to twist me around ( I am 6'1 and 190 ) and I was way worse for his efforts. He said "there don't you feel better" like he was trying to convince me rather than listen to me. I have no faith in them at all.

Anyway an MRI showed a 1 inch rupture and the nuerosurgeon said I needed surgery immediately. What gave me the most trouble wasn't lifting,it was sitting. I had to eat dinner laying on my stomach because I couldn't sit at the table after work.

To answer your question I am doing great. I was off work for about 12 weeks and really had to ease myself back into it. The surgery was 13 years ago and I have no ill effects from it.

If you have any other questions I'll try to answer them for you.

That's really good to hear, re-raise. I always hear such horror stories about back surgeries, that I start believeing nothing good can come of them. I'm glad you straightened me out on this matter, thanks.

Re-Raise

Steve I may be the exception, but I was even treated very well by UPS during the whole thing.

I tried to work through it until it got too bad. I just walked up to my center manager and told him I was in enough pain I couldn't safely preform my job and he said lets get it taken care of.

They never asked me to come in do light duty or anything because he said he didn't want me to be tempted to do too much too soon. I never hired a lawyer ( I have a couple of friends who are attorneys who I checked with) and UPS gave me a settlement a year after my return which I accepted. I still do the stretches I learned but I have no trouble at all.

I can't even blame my back for my bad golf shots !!!

Mykawa Houston TX

UPS Member sense 84
Minor? Is there such a back surgery? Not to scare you however it seems it depends on the people above you.:angry: We do not have good people above us.
I was pinned by a forklift to my package car and I had to have a spinal fusion L4/L5/S1 and they told me I could never return as a driver again. UPS has by passed the law of the ADA once again. The lawyer's want to challenge but even they know their pockets are not deep enough. I have good days and bad days. Two others have had similar procedures and are back to work. However three years in and one re-injured his back last week. I wish you the best, after working for UPS from 1984 they totally shafted me and my family. Your a number & they don't care!

brown138

I also had surgery on my L5 in 98'. I've had almost no problems since.
Good Luck to you... They will have you up and walking soon after the surgery.
The surgery totally saps your strength... you have to build up your strength to
walk again.

rod

Retired 22 years
They never asked me to come in do light duty or anything because he said he didn't want me to be tempted to do too much too soon.

Your lucky--- my "light duty" work included making the pick up at a printing company that shipped at least a pallet of print materal out each day.