Hello friends! just hired

Johnnywhat

So as you know I have just recently been hired in at a preloader position(haven't started yet). When I went on my tour I watched what I will be doing and just had a few questions about it.

What I will be doing is taking packages out of semi trailers and putting them onto a conveyer. I guess I don't understand why this is called a preloader rather than an unloader ?

Also what's the difference between a preloader and package handler??

In the interview she told me after so many days I will enter a union. Can anyone confirm how many days till I am? (I obvi. forget)

Thanks for any help! I am young and hope to have a long career with UPS (hopefully a driver someday as I hear that's where the money is ??). Any other tips outside of my questions would be great and appreciated.

PS: Sorry if I posted this in a wrong forum. I am very new ha

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
1) If obviously is too long of a word to type, don't use it.
2) You don't need to use more than one question mark in a row to convey that it is an interrogative.
3) Preload is a shift; preloader is a task on that shift. Unloaders unload package cars and trailers, depending on the shift. If you're working on the preload shift as an unloader and they're telling you you'll be taking packages out of a trailer and putting them on a belt, then you'll be an unloader. A preloader works on the preload shift and loads packages into the package cars.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
So as you know I have just recently been hired in at a preloader position(haven't started yet). When I went on my tour I watched what I will be doing and just had a few questions about it.

What I will be doing is taking packages out of semi trailers and putting them onto a conveyer. I guess I don't understand why this is called a preloader rather than an unloader ?

In the interview she told me after so many days I will enter a union. Can anyone confirm how many days till I am? (I obvi. forget)

Thanks for any help! I am young and hope to have a long career with UPS (hopefully a driver someday as I hear that's where the money is ??). Any other tips outside of my questions would be great and appreciated.

Tips? Bring 2 things with you on your first day....something to drink..and broken-in work boots. Do what you are told....move your :censored2: and keep your mouth closed...best advice I can give you.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Have you ever gotten up early before, day after day? That is half the battle. Let us know how fast you hate it!

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.

Preload is the sort, unload is what you will be doing. I don't have a clue when you start paying dues but honestly they don't do :censored2: so you will be throwing money at them for nothing. The best tip is work at your on pace, if someone bitches at you just say okay and keep doing the same thing. Don't become a supervisor, you aren't special but management will kiss your ass and say you are so great. It's all a trick. You will see what I mean. Go in, do your job and go home.

jaker

trolling
And if you past your 30 days you will be asked to become a PT sup and since you said you plan on driving then just say no thanks

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Tips? Bring 2 things with you on your first day....something to drink..and broken-in work boots. Do what you are told....move your :censored2: and keep your mouth closed...best advice I can give you.

And a very very good pair of gloves that completely fit your hands and well secured around them. And also wear sweatpants (no jeans!!). Believe it or not, a good pair of gloves can increase your speed up to 75%.

Johnnywhat

Thanks for all the information.

The earliest I have gotten up for work is 4:45. So I have been getting up early, just not this early.

And I will be sure to let you know if I hate it. lol

So I'll guess a PT sup is a part time supervisor? Just wondering but why wouldn't I want that? If I take that offer does that derail me from becoming a driver in years?

oldngray

nowhere special
Won't it be grand when we can start a thread called "Hello friends, just retired" ?
tired.jpg

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
And a very very good pair of gloves that completely fit your hands and well secured around them. And also wear sweatpants (no jeans!!). Believe it or not, a good pair of gloves can increase your speed up to 75%.
Move 75% faster?? A) I'm in a marathon....not a sprint. B) get done 75% sooner? Last time I looked, I'm paid by the hour.

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Move 75% faster?? A) I'm in a marathon....not a sprint. B) get done 75% sooner? Last time I looked, I'm paid by the hour.

Well, you've already made book so you don't have to worry about speed. My comment was referring to the op. Impressing his sups should be his number one priority at UPS until he makes book. So that "I get paid by the hour" thing will get him out the door at UPS within a heartbeat.

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll

The earliest I have gotten up for work is 4:45. So I have been getting up early, just not this early.

So I'll guess a PT sup is a part time supervisor? Just wondering but why wouldn't I want that? If I take that offer does that derail me from becoming a driver in years?

Yes. Becoming a supervisor will make it implausible for you to become a driver. Package deliver driver position is a union job and the company must hire 6 inside union workers before they hire an outsider. For a supervisor to become a driver, they must be hired from the outside. Get where I'm going with this now? Not only that, a supervisor must get a district manager's permission to become a driver. Not only that, the company does not really like the idea of a supervisor going back to a union position.

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll

To the op, forget about that safety bend at the knees, hand to surface crap that they taught you during orientation. I'm not saying to work like an unsafe working maniac, but speed should be 80% and safety 20% until you make book.