Hello from South Jersey. Nervous about starting.

JerseyJeff84

Good evening all. I grew up with UPS "in my blood," as my Dad has been there for 31 years. Started as a driver helper in January of 1989 and then was brought on into the hub's body shop, as a detailer. Once I was old enough, I worked as a driver helper on three separate occasions.

With that said, I am now 35, going on 36 this Summer and after a chain of life events(laid off from former job of seven years), I had my UPS office interview last week and now have new-hire orientation on Tuesday. The HR rep who did the tour said that we would be chosen to either be a loader, unloader, or sorter.

I am nervous because I am out of shape. Not fat, just haven't been in the gym for three months since mine had its doors put on hold due to the pandemic. I've heard horror stories about being a handler at UPS but the HR rep swears that as long as you are always lifting a package, the Twilight(my shift) managers don't ride you. I worked at Amazon, where our packages were counted and the number per hour written on a white board for all to see. They fired you if you didn't hit a certain number. Is UPS the same?

Thanks so much for your advice. I doubt anyone on here is familiar with it, but for what it's worth, I will be working out of the Lawnside, NJ hub. About 15 miles from the Philadelphia Airport hub.

Last edited:

Ancient Alien

UPS Vacation
Good evening all. I grew up with UPS "in my blood," as my Dad has been there for 31 years. Started as a driver helper in January of 1989 and then was brought on into the hub's body shop, as a detailer. Once I was old enough, I worked as a driver helper on three separate occasions.

With that said, I am now 35, going on 36 this Summer and after a chain of life events(laid off from former job of seven years), I had my UPS office interview last week and now have new-hire orientation on Tuesday. The HR rep who did the tour said that we would be chosen to either be a loader, unloader, or sorter.

I am nervous because I am out of shape. Not fat, just haven't been in the gym for three months since mine had its doors put on hold due to the pandemic. I've heard horror stories about being a handler at UPS but the HR rep swears that as long as you are always lifting a package, the Twilight(my shift) managers don't ride you. I worked at Amazon, where our packages were counted and the number per hour written on a white board for all to see. They fired you if you didn't hit a certain number. Is UPS the same?

Thanks so much for your advice. I doubt anyone on here is familiar with it, but for what it's worth, I will be working out of the Lawnside, NJ hub. About 15 miles from the Philadelphia Airport hub.
Good Luck to you man. I kind of envy you guys so close to different big cities and states. Such as you saying you're in NJ right by Philly. Makes me wish I could run to Seattle, over to Portland for Lunch... Sunset in San Francisco and back to the hotel in Vegas. Out west (besides California) pretty much one big city is all you can reach in a day by vehicle.

You'll be fine. Join the union. UPS is very,very,very smart over Amazon & FedEx by keeping labor involved. You see the walkouts, the death totals, the bad press Amazon employees are sending all over the media? You won't see that at UPS.... It's because of their partnership with the union.

Good Luck! You're going to make a great employee with that attitude.

JerseyJeff84

Thanks so much! Yeah, I always thought it was so neat where I was geographically born & raised. I am basically in a "triangle" of major tourist destinations. 15 minutes to the West is Philadelphia, 45 mins south is Atlantic City, and 90 mins north is NYC.
As for where you are, I told my Wife that when I turn 40, I want us to vacation out West. Just not sure if we do the Hollywood thing or somewhere less touristy like Napa, as she loves wine.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Was it really that bad at an Amazon fulfillment center?

PS, it seems you're close to the FedEx Ground terminals around the corner...

And they have an Amazon terminal for subcontractor drivers DSPs a few miles south of that location.

@MyTripisCut may be your main link if you're going for a driver job

Indecisi0n

Maybe you could post some selfies so we can see what we are working with?

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
His real pic was on here previously, but a few members set him straight on staying incognito