Help needed concerning treatment of disabled

quad decade guy

Allow me to educate you doctor wally:

While Cerebral Palsy (pronounced seh-ree-brel pawl-zee) is a blanket term commonly referred to as “CP” and described by loss or impairment of motor function, Cerebral Palsy is actually caused by brain damage. The brain damage is caused by brain injury or abnormal development of the brain that occurs while a child’s brain is still developing — before birth, during birth, or immediately after birth.

Cerebral Palsy affects body movement, muscle control, muscle coordination, muscle tone, reflex, posture and balance. It can also impact fine motor skills, gross motor skills and oral motor functioning.
K. We get it.

Now, how about stop being angry and abusive.

@ Wally has a few good questions....

As your belittling anger seethes....your respect(if earned...not entitled) goes down.

You are not "entitled" by disability fiat to be abusive. Some might say you are playing the disability card. Shameful.

IMHO......you might direct your energies in finding a more suitable path of employment for your Son.

I mean seriously dude, I asked for advice about a serious issue. Why don't you go troll someone else?
I mean seriously dude.......Take your anger someplace else.

And......you came to us.......didn't you? @Wally gave his opinion.....you didn't like it......See, being abusive to those that don't bow to your disability bullying.....doesn't garner respect.......yeah....you are a disability pimp.....some might say....

In the end.....get the Sup guy fixed and negotiate a more appropriate job for your son.....if he isn't capable of speaking for himself.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Allow me to educate you doctor wally:

While Cerebral Palsy (pronounced seh-ree-brel pawl-zee) is a blanket term commonly referred to as “CP” and described by loss or impairment of motor function, Cerebral Palsy is actually caused by brain damage. The brain damage is caused by brain injury or abnormal development of the brain that occurs while a child’s brain is still developing — before birth, during birth, or immediately after birth.

Cerebral Palsy affects body movement, muscle control, muscle coordination, muscle tone, reflex, posture and balance. It can also impact fine motor skills, gross motor skills and oral motor functioning.
Doesn't stop him from working.

floridays

Thank you, I appreciate your sincerity. I was worried about getting killed in comments. I don't really post much at all,but I do get on here alot to see whats current and it can be harsh at times.... very much appreciate your advice
He's still your boy, :winkiss:.
It's admirable to take care of the weaker.

oldngray

nowhere special
Within.... medically prescribed limits.
There aren't many jobs at UPS someone with Cerebral Palsy could do. UPS would be within their tights for not hiring someone who was incapable of doing the work. The rub is if they know someone has a disability and still hires them. The person with Cerebral Palsy would have a lot of legal protection that way.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
If he gets ssid, from what I remember, it supplements his income. Also provides medical coverage, as a person with disability will have higher than normal medical costs. Probably can't and shouldn't work 40 hrs a week.
I commend him for working to the best of his ability.

The anger towards those on SSD, should be focused on the abuse in the system..like cradle to gravers that never work because they have a self inflicted disability like alcohol or drugs addiction. Or a multitude of other issues that are accepted as disabling.

oldngray

nowhere special
If he gets ssid, from what I remember, it supplements his income. Also provides medical coverage, as a person with disability will have higher than normal medical costs. Probably can't and shouldn't work 40 hrs a week.
I commend him for working to the best of his ability.

The anger towards those on SSD, should be focused on the abuse in the system..like cradle to gravers that never work because they have a self inflicted disability like alcohol or drugs addiction. Or a multitude of other issues that are accepted as disabling.
a doctor I used to go to always had his waiting room full of disability patients. People perfectly capable of working but abused the system.

Steamed me up because too many with real issues can't get or have to fight about getting disability.

Wally

That is the point. He does work. He wants to work. He needs to work. 1 supe is trying to prevent that.... you have got to be management
So sups come and they go. You aren't always going to be around to help him so he has to learn to ignore the bad sups. Don't let them win.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
But today, this is not acceptable in the workplace..just moving a bad super from center to center is not how it should be done. Just like a hourly gets punishment for a mistake, zero tolerance, etc..so should management.

TrimCarp

So sups come and they go. You aren't always going to be around to help him so he has to learn to ignore the bad sups. Don't let them win.
Listen wally, I'm not trying to fight with you man. I know I'm not going to always be around. Thats why I have to do whati can now to leave him as best situated as I can. You can't just ignore unwarranted write ups, suspensions, and potential termination and they just magically go away, you have to proactively nip it in the bud. I refuse to roll over and show my belly like a dog to anyone or anything, up to and definitely including a fortune 50 company

floridays

OP I commend your professionalism regarding this situation.

If my father was in a similar situation, I can guarantee you beyond a shadow of a doubt he’d be fired…

I got bullied in middle school once. Took it like a man; idk how my father (a Local 1 Pipefitter) found out but it was the neighbor’s kid who roughed me up… so he goes a couple doors down one night after work. Says to the father “hey Pal, I see your son’s a tough guy so it must’ve come from you. Let’s take a walk!”

His bail was set at $15,000. The bully moved away shortly after.
Hey Pal :thumbup1:

floridays

That’s a different story… the writing is on the wall upon accepting the job offer whether or not you’ll qualify…

This was a reversal of roles because apparently, my “friend’s” father was not as present as he should’ve been… to avoid a severe beat down by a man with arms like a six inch pipe.

Here’s the best: I only found out what happened that night when I finished boot camp. I later continued on and earned the combat veteran status I pride myself on.
My old girlfriend was a grunt as well, she'll kick your ass frosty. :thumbup1:

Wally

@Wally lives in the 40/50's where any disability was warehoused and denied the right to be a productive member of society.
So how far do you go with this? Does a package car driver,now in a wheelchair due to an accident, have the right to keep doing his or her job? Should the company provide a package car with a lift and reduce the route to a few stops per day?

Nolimitz

So how far do you go with this? Does a package car driver,now in a wheelchair due to an accident, have the right to keep doing his or her job? Should the company provide a package car with a lift and reduce the route to a few stops per day?
Can you say "reasonable accommodation"