help understanding streets?

Brownpride816

I am having a really hard time understanding "the number system" of the streets. the "100 blocks".. I know some drivers who can tell which package goes to which house without even looking at the numbers, Im on my training route (for the first time by myself today after 5 times going with my supervisor) and im all over the place. I just cant seem to get a hold of the system.

this is a map of my area, can some of you more experienced drivers PLEASE help me get the hang of it?

http://www.ksdot.org/burtransplan/maps/city-pdf/basehor.PDF

Ouch

I will make a suggestion, make sure you set your truck up to run it in order. If you have edd it may help you if it is set up right in the board. Having your truck set up will help you tremendously.

stink219

MOST streets, run low to high or high to low, odds on one side even numbers on other. It's not a perfect system. It's like a messy room, you eventually know where stuff is but it takes I little while.

oldngray

nowhere special
Normally odd numbers on south side and on west side, evens on north and east. I think a city block of 1000 is 1/2 mile long (but I don't remember for certain). Pick a point ahead of you about where the house number will be if you don't know the street well and you can start scanning house numbers then. In most areas 75-80% or more are the same customers most of the time (can you say QVC queen?) and you quickly learn those houses. I was on my route almost 20 years and literally knew almost every house number and what each house looked like from memory.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Numbers increase by 2 every 50'.

Ask your sup to print out your DOL.

If you think trying to figure out number breaks in an area with 911 is tough imagine trying to figure them out in rural areas still using RD or RR numbers.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
Think as it is a big game of hide and seek. If you get flustered take a few minutes to regroup. Set up a section. Deliver it. It will be monotonous before you know it.

oldngray

nowhere special
Its bad when you have a situation when the numbers change from city numbers to county numbers and you can have 2 different houses maybe half a mile apart with same number. You just need to learn who lives in which house there.

upschuck

Lowest numbers at center of city, usually main st, and get larger as you move outwards.

The other drivers know which houses because they delivered the route many times. It takes time to learn a route. My training route went from main st to 7th stso I knew 345 anystreet was between 3rd and 4th sts and just had to remember where anystreet was. That made it relatively easy to know where certain houses where.

Hopefully edd is set up good for you, so you can go by it.

Good luck.