Help with trivia request (1z...)

sdf747

Hi All,
Can anyone shed any light on why all UPS tracking numbers begin with 1Z? I've read the article at:
UPS Pressroom: Fact Sheet

But it doesn't explain why "1Z". You could just as easily use "2Y", or any other number/letter combination. Why did the people, at the time, decide on 1Z.

Anyone?

Thanks in advance,

satellitedriver

Hi All,
Can anyone shed any light on why all UPS tracking numbers begin with 1Z? I've read the article at:

But it doesn't explain why "1Z". You could just as easily use "2Y", or any other number/letter combination. Why did the people, at the time, decide on 1Z.

Anyone?

Thanks in advance,
The 1 I can understand.Change it to 2 and you have an other bizzillion combinations of numbers. As a guess, I would say that the Z came from the old school of UPS when we were told to Z scan the label. That probably is wrong, but I was the first thing that came to my mind. I like your question. It shows you have a curious mind and that is a sign of intelligence. Let us know if you find out.

rod

Retired 22 years
maybe all the big wigs were sleeping around a table (ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ) and when they woke up to go play golf one of them said, I have an idea!

oldster

The 1Z is an industry standard. I simply designates the type and length of the information that follows. In tracking numbers, (1Z-666666-01-12345678), the 6 digits after the 1Z are the shipper number, the 01 is the service level of the package, in this example 1DA, and the last 8 digits are the unique tracking for the package.

Several years ago, the 8 digit tracking number always increased by 9 for each package from the same shipper. It is now a randomized number, but there is an algorythym built in that serves as a validation for key-entering.

OldManAllowance

There is a method to the 18 digits, basically the digits go through a mathematical calculation. Any letter in the sequence relates to a number A=1, B=2...etc, anyway the "formula" has to equal the the last digit. This is called the "check digit".

trickpony1

Why do a lot of rail trailers have UPSZ on them??

Because our company owns alot of trailers that are designated for rail use.
Different companies that deal in rail transport usually have abbreviations that relate to their company name followed by Z, such as:
REAZ
BMDZ
REDZ
SFTZ
Hope this helps.

terrymac

the Z trailers are complete trailers, the non Z trailers are shipping containers, with chassis and wheels, that are removeable. Generally a chassis has a number also. Interesting is that the ups "sc" trailers have always had a problem with glad hand coming loose, especially on empties on the back trailer. What then happens, is the brakes lock up, and the trailer starts to go where it wants, smoke, sparks flying.. UPS says its driver error, not following correct methods. Now all the "sc" trailers are being retrofitted with locking devices, to hold down the air lines... hummm o well

trickpony1

Terry Mac-
I have seen 28 foot drop frame trailers sent on the rail. They were listed on the TOFC sheet as "NONZ".
I agree with your thoughts about the "SC" trailers. Those have been nothing but a pain since they phased them in. What was the company thinking when they ordered those? It's not like we interchange containers anywhere in our system. The only thing I can figure is the company got a good deal by ordering a bunch of them.
I have heard the company is phasing out the "SC" trailers. Wise decision.

corky1012

Hi All,

Anyone?

Thanks in advance,
I was on the project when we developed the 18 digit tracking numbers back in the 90's. The use of the "1Z" as the leading digits in the trackinfg number, comes from a table that is managed worldwide by a standards committee (I don't recall the name). We selected this because the definition for use of the "1Z" fit well for tracking packages in-transit.

sdf747

Thanks for all the input.

Corky, if you remember the standards table or orginization that created it, I'd love to know.

Thanks,

A

an anonymous guest

In the 90s when the '1Z' was developed, it was under the guidance of standards being developed by several groups and was closely linked to EDI (Electronic Data Interchange) standards of the time. Each industry group was doing their own thing but the primary movers were the American TRucking Assoc System Council and the Volunterary Interindustry Communications Standards(VICS) group of the retail industry (WalMart et all). This all developed into a set of standards managed by the American Nation Standards Groups working committees. Until the tracking number was 'randomized' it was considered a Progressive number in use by many companies at the time to deal with LTL and Trucking shipments.

The main focus these days is on trying to get some form of RFID tag to be cheap enough to put on packages.

Go UPS!
P71

@turdferguson
Screenshot_2015-09-28-20-33-11.png