Helper Coordinator Tips?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have no idea how any of this works and I'm not super clear on my responsibilities, they made it sound like I'll be sitting in front of a computer, making phone calls....guess I'll find out tomorrow.

That is the basics of what you will be doing. The most important thing is to make sure the helpers show up at the meet point on time (5 minutes early would be nice) dressed and ready to work. We will take care of any DIAD training that needs to be done. You will need to track their hours----you will become very familiar with the numbers .99----and make sure that helpers are not being underutilized (they will quit) or abused (they will quit). The single most important thing is to make sure you get their paychecks to them on the same day that they are in the center, which is usually Thursday or Friday. Helpers get pissed when we don't get their checks to them in a timely manner. Their last check is always held until they turn in their uniforms. You will catch crap from the drivers, helpers and management but, if you do a good job, the door is open for a permanent position after Peak. Good luck.

sox

Up here in the north the helpers are given a stocking hat as part of their uniform. Thats not a lot of help if it's pouring rain early in peak. I always order a couple of caps in the fall & keep them in the truck. Helpers are always appreciative & they get a token of the worst job they ever had

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.
Wasn't sure what the appropriate forum for this thread was...just wondering if anyone has any tips/helpful insight for the position of helper coordinator?

Thank you!
Don't give me the 75yr old retired dude that's "doing this for fun & exercise"... Good Lord! thought I was gunna have to get out the defibrillator last year...lol