Helpers paying Union Dues

Has anyone ever heard of helpers paying union dues? I know we didn't do it 2 years ago, but applying for this year I signed a union card and an agreement to pay the initiation fee and monthly dues.

What's the point of being in a union for a temporary job? Where's the benefit for the helpers?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Has anyone ever heard of helpers paying union dues? I know we didn't do it 2 years ago, but applying for this year I signed a union card and an agreement to pay the initiation fee and monthly dues.

What's the point of being in a union for a temporary job? Where's the benefit for the helpers?

Helpers do not apply to join the Union nor do they have dues deducted from their checks. Are you sure you are applying for a helper position or are you applying to work on the inside?

brownIEman

I just heard about this last year.
The district I work in covers 2 states, one is a right to work state, the other is not. They are covered by 2 diffirent locals. In the right to work state, obviously, helpers do not have to join the union in order to work for UPS. In the non right to work state, there use to be an exemption in the contract for helpers. Not anymore. Now helpers there must join the union in order to work for UPS, and so must pay union dues. Even though it is a temporary job.

To answer the question of what the benefit to the helper is, you get the warm fuzzy feeling knowing you have helped the financial balance sheets of the IBT, if only a little. Other than that I really can't see one.

Hangingon

The initiation fee in Md is $250. I'd make sure to give them their first check after they finish working on Friday. Nothing like having a pissed off helper on your car all day.

rod

Retired 22 years
Iniation fees were always taken out of the helpers checks where I worked. Funny how the new helpers were never warned about this but then again the company always told them if they ran their azzes off they might might have a full time job after Christmas. (now if that wasn't a stone face lie, I've never heard one) . I always hated giving that 1st check to my helper because I knew what was coming next.:dissapointed: They would either quit or go into that "this crap isn' worth it" speech.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Helpers always pay a fee/dues here too. In reality the drivers end up at least subsidizing this because the helpers job is way harder than the rate of pay they receive, and as a result most of us at least tip them from a combination of gratitude and guilt. Sucks to be them.:sick: To make it even worse, the helper checks now come with ours on Thursday....makes for a long Friday and untimely meets from then on out.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change

Helpers do not apply to join the Union nor do they have dues deducted from their checks. Are you sure you are applying for a helper position or are you applying to work on the inside?

I worked in two different UPS regions as a helper. I paid initiation fees / dues both times. I can tell you it was a con-job, too. In the Chicago-area, I was supposed to get my money back. I never saw the $20 they took, despite filling out and mailing the form they gave me. I wrote it off after 2 unreturned phone calls. In Denver, I was hired as an insider within a week of being released as a helper, so I didn't go looking for that money. -Rocky

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
$20 would not be a big deal. An initiation fee of $250 or more and dues that are 3 times your hourly for a temporary position would be a big deal.

Right. And I only worked four days. At the time, I was working on-campus at my university for $6.50/hr. As a helper, I was making $9.50/hr or something like that. CACH or 705Red can clear this up, I'm sure. Its been four years and its not important to me now but I'm sure one of those two can clear it up if necessary. I made in four days what it would take 3 weeks to make at school :). -Rocky

Borat

So wait, did you have to pay the $250 initiation fee or not?

I just went to my first interview for a seasonal driver helper position today, and have a second interview scheduled for Friday. We had to fill out a sheet of paper with a few basic questions, but at the bottom it said we'd be paying $20 in union dues, even though we would not be part of the union.

That was ridiculous enough for me, but paying a $250 initiation fee on a part-time/seasonal job? This sounds too unethical for UPS to have gotten away with. Can anybody confirm this? I'm in Southern California, if that means anything.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Alright, here's my 2 cents:

• Helpers/seasonal employees are performing bargaining unit work. Therefore are required to pay dues (unless in a 'right to work for less' state).
  • Helpers/seasonal employees are not eligible for seniority, hence do not pay initiation fee.

brownIEman

So wait, did you have to pay the $250 initiation fee or not?

I just went to my first interview for a seasonal driver helper position today, and have a second interview scheduled for Friday. We had to fill out a sheet of paper with a few basic questions, but at the bottom it said we'd be paying $20 in union dues, even though we would not be part of the union.

That was ridiculous enough for me, but paying a $250 initiation fee on a part-time/seasonal job? This sounds too unethical for UPS to have gotten away with. Can anybody confirm this? I'm in Southern California, if that means anything.

Seriously? Too unethical for UPS to have gotten away with?
In some parts of the country, legally there is no choice but to pay the 250 initiation fee to work at UPS. But, this has nothing to do with UPS, not one dime, not one red cent, of that money goes to UPS. UPS would hugely prefer that you did NOT have to pay that money, as it is a dis-incentive for you to work for UPS during the time when UPS needs it the most.

The money goes to the Teamsters, and if you are paying that money, the teamsters where you live have told UPS no, under no circumstances will we agree to an exception to the dues requirements in the bargaining agreement for seasonal helpers. And yes, many states do find this too unethical to get away with, and in those states the practice is illegal. Unfortunately for you, I do not believe California is one of those states.

brownIEman

Alright, here's my 2 cents:

• Helpers/seasonal employees are performing bargaining unit work. Therefore are required to pay dues (unless in a 'right to work for less' state).
  • Helpers/seasonal employees are not eligible for seniority, hence do not pay initiation fee.

this seems to be a rational compromise that most locals have worked out. I am surprised that there are any where the local union requires the initiation, but it seems like there are.

Borat

Thanks for the helpful responses, guys.

I wasn't going into UPS thinking they were some faultless corporation, every business has a seedy underbelly to it. I just thought it was ridiculous that I have to pay an initiation fee to a union that won't even have me as a seasonal worker. In any case, I'll bring this up on my second interview on Friday, and see what they have to say then. I'll check back here to update any other potential, worried seasonal DHs.

But yeah, like Brownie said, California is not a free-to-work state, so I'm probably screwed. I was really looking forward to working for UPS since I know a couple people who work/have worked there who speak highly of them, but I guess their Unions treat their seasonal workers like indentured servants or something.

iowa boy

Thanks for the helpful responses, guys.
I was really looking forward to working for UPS since I know a couple people who work/have worked there who speak highly of them, but I guess their Unions treat their seasonal workers like indentured servants or something.

You think the union is bad, (which it is, but thats another story in and of itself), but working for the company we are all treated like indentured servants who don't know anything and are all too slow at what we do.