Helpers paying Union Dues

JonFrum

Frunobulax, the paragraphs you quote apply to members of the Local, including members who have yearly seasonal layoffs. This language does not apply to a New Hire who has not yet become a member. You can't withdraw from an organization that you don't yet belong to.

Scooter1

I don't understand why you guys are saying "seasonal hires". In my local there are no "seasonal hires" just permanent employees who are let go after peak. This was the selling point of our new contract, everyone gets hired permanently. They failed to say they have a 90 working day probation period and as permanent employee they pay initiation fees and union dues. More $$$$ for the union and more flexability for UPS. During this probation period, they have no rights and can be fired at will.

In otherwords, these "permanent hires" can actually be used as temps for the 4 months they are on probation then let go.

AssistantSanta

Now helpers there must join the union in order to work for UPS, and so must pay union dues. Even though it is a temporary job.
I don't believe that is right. In non "right to work" states, I believe the employees can be strong armed into pay a portion of dues, but Taft-Hartley Act of 1947 prohibits mandatory membership. So, if I get a work at the hub, payment of dues can be a condition of employment, but federal law prohibits union from requiring me from becoming a member, thus forced to abide by bylaws. I have the right to not become a member and union can't discipline or fine me for working during a strike or doing things they don't like.

bigblu 2 you

I don't believe that is right. In non "right to work" states, I believe the employees can be strong armed into pay a portion of dues, but Taft-Hartley Act of 1947 prohibits mandatory membership. So, if I get a work at the hub, payment of dues can be a condition of employment, but federal law prohibits union from requiring me from becoming a member, thus forced to abide by bylaws. I have the right to not become a member and union can't discipline or fine me for working during a strike or doing things they don't like.
you also have "the right to find work elsewhere"if you dont want to play by the rules.we are not ready to change the rules for "right to work"trolls.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
you also have "the right to find work elsewhere"if you dont want to play by the rules.we are not ready to change the rules for "right to work"trolls.

and anyway the driver is the big bossman and you better hear him him when he calls.dont even think about gettin my tips since i only make 100k a year and i need it all.comehere and jump inmy stomach!

AssistantSanta

I have every right to NOT want to play by the rules so long as I don't act on it. There are times I wish I can just ignore traffic lights because I just don't feel like waiting for it. I won't act on it nor do I expect the rules changed.

Calling out the misbelief(though not ill intentioned) that employment is conditional to joining union membership and correcting with a statement that UNION MEMBERSHIP IS STRICTLY OPTIONAL is understanding the rules, not refusing to play by the rules.