Here's How UPS Driver Income Stacks Up

JL 0513

Here's 30 jobs that pay a national median of $80K/yr.

Now a few considerations:

*Yes, those at top rate only past that figure with typical overtime. Some drivers even pass $90K.
*And although we need overtime to match, we get pensions and other benefits that these other jobs don't provide.
*And for the record, these figures are a few years old but surely haven't changed much.

Consider the education required for all these jobs. We're not doing too shabby for doing a job with no advanced skills needed. In fact, we learn what we need to do the job in a matter of weeks. But we do earn every penny!

1. Administrative law judges, adjudicators and hearing officers
Do this: Conduct hearings to rule on government-related claims; determine penalties and liability; and help to craft settlements.
Get paid: $80,870
2. Biomedical engineers
Do this: Design and develop devices and procedures to help solve health-related problems. Projects might include information systems, artificial organs or artificial limbs.
Get paid: $81,120
3. Chiropractors
Do this: Diagnose and treat musculoskeletal conditions of the spinal column to prevent disease and alleviate imbalance, pain and pressure believed to be caused by interference with nervous system.
Get paid: $81,340
4. Atmospheric, earth, marine and space sciences teachers, post-secondary
Do this: Teach courses and research topics in the physical sciences, except chemistry and physics.
Get paid: $81,470
5. Agents and business managers of artists, performers and athletes
Do this: Represent and promote their client's business while handling business matters and contract negotiations.
Get paid: $81,550
6. Materials scientists
Do this: Study the chemical composition of various materials and figure out ways to develop new materials and improve existing ones; also determine ways to use materials in products.
Get paid: $81,600
7. Physician assistants
Do this: Perform health-care services and provide treatment plans under a physician's supervision.
Get paid: $81,610
8. Medical scientists, except epidemiologists
Do this: Research and investigate human diseases and how to improve human health.
Get paid: $81,870
9. Physics teachers, post-secondary
Do this: Teach courses and research topics pertaining to the laws of matter and energy.
Get paid: $81,880
10. Atmospheric and space scientists
Do this: Study the effects the atmosphere has on the environment, most commonly through weather forecasting.
Get paid: $82,080
11. Management analysts
Do this: Figure out best practices of management by conducting studies and procedures to help companies figure out how to operate more effectively.
Get paid: $82,920
12. Producers and directors
Do this: Produce or direct, and make all creative decisions for stage, television, radio, video or motion picture productions.
Get paid: $83,030
13. Biological science teachers, post-secondary
Do this: Teach courses and research topics in biological sciences.
Get paid: $83,270
14. Materials engineers
Do this: Develop new uses for recognized materials, and develop new machinery and processes to make materials for use in specialized products.
Get paid: $84,200
15. Transportation, storage and distribution managers
Do this: Oversee transportation, storage or distribution activities in accordance with governmental policies and regulations.
Get paid: $84,520
16. Financial analysts
Do this: Assess the financial situations of an individual or organization.
Get paid: $84,780
17. Electrical engineers
Do this: Design, develop and test the manufacturing and installation of electrical equipment.
Get paid: $85,350
18. Education administrators, elementary and secondary school
Do this: Oversee all activities of public or private elementary or secondary schools.
Get paid: $86,060
19. Industrial-organizational psychologists
Do this: Work with companies to solve problems within the company. You may help with policy planning; employee screening, training and development; and organizational development and analysis.
Get paid: $86,460
20. Computer software engineers, applications
Do this: Build computer applications software and code; ensure that all software projects adhere to a company's technology and business standards.
Get paid: $87,900
21. Economics teachers, post-secondary
Do this: Teach courses and research topics in economics.
Get paid: $88,330
22. Biochemists and biophysicists
Do this: Study the chemical composition and physical principles of living cells and organisms, their electrical and mechanical energy, and related phenomena.
Get paid: $88,450
23. Art directors
Do this: Create design concepts and presentation in artwork, layout design and copywriting for visual communications media.
Get paid: $88,510
24. Electronics engineers, except computer
Do this: Design, develop and test a wide range of electronic equipment, from CD players to global positioning systems.
Get paid: $88,670
25. Medical and health services managers
Do this: Supervise medical and health services in hospitals, clinics and similar organizations.
Get paid: $88,750
26. Chemical engineers
Do this: Design chemical plant equipment and create processes for manufacturing chemicals and products.
Get paid: $88,760
27. Geoscientists, except hydrologists and geographers
Do this: Study the composition, structure and other physical aspects of the Earth.
Get paid: $89,300
28. Veterinarians
Do this: Provide health care for family pets, livestock and zoo animals. Provide check-ups, treat diseases and advise caretakers on how to best raise their animals.
Get paid: $89,450
29. Construction managers
Do this:Oversee all activities concerned with the construction and maintenance of structures, facilities and systems.
Get paid: $89,770
30. Sales engineers
Do this: Sell business goods or services, the selling of which requires a technical background equivalent to a bachelor's degree in engineering.

Makes you feel pretty good, doesn't it? :wink2:

(sorry if this has been posted in the last few years)

Insincerity

I'm Insincere
We are lucky to have jobs where we get compensated as well as we do but we earn every penny. That is what Teamsters do.
If our compensation is reduced, we will not work as hard.

JL 0513

What is your point, exactly?

My point is, this is how UPS driver income stacks up.

Any other questions?

But seriously, if you're not interested in seeing a wide comparison of other careers that pay similarly to ours, then so be it. You don't need to reply.
We're all here simply to engage in conversation. Is there a point to that? Hmm, maybe not.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
Still in my 25 yrs. No one in my center ever got to 80k. Although this yr myself and another are going to be close. Usually for Xmas my hours go down.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I got a PhD in work ethic, happens that UPS needed some qualified individuals such as myself. The entitled generation coming up, generally speaking, have much less of a work ethic than my generation. I'd contribute some of that due to the bubble era of corporations having unneeded positions, children seeing dad come home at 5, making 100k doing a non essential job in said corporation. Now that corporations have slimmed down, the expectations of years before to "put in a little OT" as a salaried individual is now demanded vs before someone would leave if forced to work long hours. All of this at the same wage, generally speaking, that the position paid 5-10 years ago.

If you want an example, ask some of your sups or someone in a corporate position that have been here longer than 15 years

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Still in my 25 yrs. No one in my center ever got to 80k. Although this yr myself and another are going to be close. Usually for Xmas my hours go down.
Not sure how big your center is but I'd say 1/4 of our guys hit over 80. Personally I'm already at 86 as of last week.

Overpaid Union Thug

Here's 30 jobs that pay a national median of $80K/yr.

Now a few considerations:

*Yes, those at top rate only past that figure with typical overtime. Some drivers even pass $90K.
*And although we need overtime to match, we get pensions and other benefits that these other jobs don't provide.
*And for the record, these figures are a few years old but surely haven't changed much.

Consider the education required for all these jobs. We're not doing too shabby for doing a job with no advanced skills needed. In fact, we learn what we need to do the job in a matter of weeks. But we do earn every penny!

1. Administrative law judges, adjudicators and hearing officers
Do this: Conduct hearings to rule on government-related claims; determine penalties and liability; and help to craft settlements.
Get paid: $80,870
2. Biomedical engineers
Do this: Design and develop devices and procedures to help solve health-related problems. Projects might include information systems, artificial organs or artificial limbs.
Get paid: $81,120
3. Chiropractors
Do this: Diagnose and treat musculoskeletal conditions of the spinal column to prevent disease and alleviate imbalance, pain and pressure believed to be caused by interference with nervous system.
Get paid: $81,340
4. Atmospheric, earth, marine and space sciences teachers, post-secondary
Do this: Teach courses and research topics in the physical sciences, except chemistry and physics.
Get paid: $81,470
5. Agents and business managers of artists, performers and athletes
Do this: Represent and promote their client's business while handling business matters and contract negotiations.
Get paid: $81,550
6. Materials scientists
Do this: Study the chemical composition of various materials and figure out ways to develop new materials and improve existing ones; also determine ways to use materials in products.
Get paid: $81,600
7. Physician assistants
Do this: Perform health-care services and provide treatment plans under a physician's supervision.
Get paid: $81,610
8. Medical scientists, except epidemiologists
Do this: Research and investigate human diseases and how to improve human health.
Get paid: $81,870
9. Physics teachers, post-secondary
Do this: Teach courses and research topics pertaining to the laws of matter and energy.
Get paid: $81,880
10. Atmospheric and space scientists
Do this: Study the effects the atmosphere has on the environment, most commonly through weather forecasting.
Get paid: $82,080
11. Management analysts
Do this: Figure out best practices of management by conducting studies and procedures to help companies figure out how to operate more effectively.
Get paid: $82,920
12. Producers and directors
Do this: Produce or direct, and make all creative decisions for stage, television, radio, video or motion picture productions.
Get paid: $83,030
13. Biological science teachers, post-secondary
Do this: Teach courses and research topics in biological sciences.
Get paid: $83,270
14. Materials engineers
Do this: Develop new uses for recognized materials, and develop new machinery and processes to make materials for use in specialized products.
Get paid: $84,200
15. Transportation, storage and distribution managers
Do this: Oversee transportation, storage or distribution activities in accordance with governmental policies and regulations.
Get paid: $84,520
16. Financial analysts
Do this: Assess the financial situations of an individual or organization.
Get paid: $84,780
17. Electrical engineers
Do this: Design, develop and test the manufacturing and installation of electrical equipment.
Get paid: $85,350
18. Education administrators, elementary and secondary school
Do this: Oversee all activities of public or private elementary or secondary schools.
Get paid: $86,060
19. Industrial-organizational psychologists
Do this: Work with companies to solve problems within the company. You may help with policy planning; employee screening, training and development; and organizational development and analysis.
Get paid: $86,460
20. Computer software engineers, applications
Do this: Build computer applications software and code; ensure that all software projects adhere to a company's technology and business standards.
Get paid: $87,900
21. Economics teachers, post-secondary
Do this: Teach courses and research topics in economics.
Get paid: $88,330
22. Biochemists and biophysicists
Do this: Study the chemical composition and physical principles of living cells and organisms, their electrical and mechanical energy, and related phenomena.
Get paid: $88,450
23. Art directors
Do this: Create design concepts and presentation in artwork, layout design and copywriting for visual communications media.
Get paid: $88,510
24. Electronics engineers, except computer
Do this: Design, develop and test a wide range of electronic equipment, from CD players to global positioning systems.
Get paid: $88,670
25. Medical and health services managers
Do this: Supervise medical and health services in hospitals, clinics and similar organizations.
Get paid: $88,750
26. Chemical engineers
Do this: Design chemical plant equipment and create processes for manufacturing chemicals and products.
Get paid: $88,760
27. Geoscientists, except hydrologists and geographers
Do this: Study the composition, structure and other physical aspects of the Earth.
Get paid: $89,300
28. Veterinarians
Do this: Provide health care for family pets, livestock and zoo animals. Provide check-ups, treat diseases and advise caretakers on how to best raise their animals.
Get paid: $89,450
29. Construction managers
Do this:Oversee all activities concerned with the construction and maintenance of structures, facilities and systems.
30. Sales engineers
Do this: Sell business goods or services, the selling of which requires a technical background equivalent to a bachelor's degree in engineering.

Makes you feel pretty good, doesn't it? :wink2:

(sorry if this has been posted in the last few years)

I wonder how many of those aren't union? Plenty from what I see.

Overpaid Union Thug

Not sure how big your center is but I'd say 1/4 of our guys hit over 80. Personally I'm already at 86 as of last week.

I like my family to much to want to make $86k

I may just miss $80k this year. Hard to make 80 when I only had 3 hours of OT last week.

Doesn't matter whether or not you like your family or not in my center. With the exception of the psycho runners and lunch skippers everyone here is getting at least 5 hours of OT. I'll break $80k easily this year. Should be around $88k.

Last edited:

browntroll

i know a few drivers that make it up to 100k but overtime kills their week with family. this is an older list though i know a few
construction workers that make up to $120k on a good year, while a construction manger i know made around 180k but he always takes 4 months off.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
i know a few drivers that make it up to 100k but overtime kills their week with family. this is an older list though i know a few
construction workers that make up to $120k on a good year, while a construction manger i know made around 180k but he always takes 4 months off.

You presented ad hoc examples of individuals rather than averages for a group of workers.

These individual construction workers you speak of work 12 -16 hour days 6-7 days a week or they are self-employed with a trade skill (plumber, electrician, etc.)

This construction manager works all kind of hours and is essentially on-call 24/7.
I know one construction manager that made over $500k for 7 years in a row ... now he is close to bankruptcy. It is a risky business.

I know one lady that made over $100k cleaning houses last year.
​She does not pay any taxes and in fact, she gets tax credits and therefore refunds.
She is a very, very busy, hard-working person.

browntroll

You presented ad hoc examples of individuals rather than averages for a group of workers.

These individual construction workers you speak of work 12 -16 hour days 6-7 days a week or they are self-employed with a trade skill (plumber, electrician, etc.)

This construction manager works all kind of hours and is essentially on-call 24/7.
I know one construction manager that made over $500k for 7 years in a row ... now he is close to bankruptcy. It is a risky business.

I know one lady that made over $100k cleaning houses last year.
​She does not pay any taxes and in fact, she gets tax credits and therefore refunds.
She is a very, very busy, hard-working person.
i have no idea what ad hoc examples means. of course construction jobs are long hour jobs from what ive heard.
they also have union but everything works differently since their managers can also be union if its in their contract, regular workers have
a top pay of $35 which takes a few years to achieve they are called journeymen or something like that. would i do it though? hell no
same reason i dont want to become a driver the long hours arent worth it for me.