Here's How UPS Driver Income Stacks Up

JL 0513

So, are you a better ups driver than a guy who only finished high school? I have a degree too....and went to grad school. At this point, for all the good it does me at brown (unless I went into management), it's basically just an expensive piece of toilet paper that I'm stilll paying off. Some of the smartest people I know never went to college....a few of them work for ups :)

Yup, looking back, I would've tried to get into UPS out of High School and skipped college. Lot of time and money that didn't pay off. It's turning into that for millions of people. Can't expect a great job out of college anymore.

JL 0513

I promised that slacker, Hoaxster, that I would stay out of these driver forums, so please, someone, pick up the slack, and shine the bright light on this JL o666 guy.

I will bow out gracefully from comparing cars, salaries and penis length.

At one's wake, they will not be talking about those things. I want to be remembered for my parenting and what I added to help humanity.

Most UPS drivers knees and backs DO NOT FEEL PRETTY GOOD AFTER ABOUT 15 YEARS OF SERVICE.:wink2: Would you like to put a dollar amount ON THE PHYSICAL WEAR AND TEAR THAT UPS TEAMSTERS EXPERIENCE IN A CAREER?

I am shocked at how many UPS drivers walk FUNNY or with a limp. Its actually kind of sad.

Its hard to put a dollar amount on your knees and back.

Not sure what you guys are talking about. Made a couple of threads and you think I have this desire to compare my things to others? Or that I live for money or things? Clearly you don't know me. I promise you I have way less than any of you and that's fine. I likely drive the cheapest car here, and that's fine. I like it.

This thread was simply a look at what other fields pay in relation to ours. Simple as that. No need to look any deeper than that. I simply thought it was interesting to see that our blue collar job compensates us similarly to advanced degree jobs.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Yup, looking back, I would've tried to get into UPS out of High School and skipped college. Lot of time and money that didn't pay off. It's turning into that for millions of people. Can't expect a great job out of college anymore.
Getting a degree doesn't entitle you to a "great job". I replied in another thread the days of showing up to an interview with your paper saying you excelled in learning about how to use a calculator or read a book, landing the job that day are gone.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Those are very valid points.

But it I will admit at my funeral it would be nice to have my kids say I was a good dad, my neighbors say they were happy to have me help them in their time of need, my mechanic say he appreciated how well I took care of my cars, and my lovely wife say as she hobbles away what a good husband I was but now that I'm dead maybe she'll get a chance to sleep.
You can't take it with you, but those that survive you benifit from both the teachings and money you leave behind. I work hard because I love my family and want to supply them with every opportunity (read money to go to college, start a buisness, investments, ) so they can have more flexibility to enjoy their future family than I have. You can do both you know.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

​Working for others never has been a great job and probably never will be. JMO

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Those are very valid points.

But it I will admit at my funeral it would be nice to have my kids say I was a good dad, my neighbors say they were happy to have me help them in their time of need, my mechanic say he appreciated how well I took care of my cars, and my lovely wife say as she hobbles away what a good husband I was but now that I'm dead maybe she'll get a chance to sleep.

​SO, you are proud of your snoring?

JL 0513

Getting a degree doesn't entitle you to a "great job". I replied in another thread the days of showing up to an interview with your paper saying you excelled in learning about how to use a calculator or read a book, landing the job that day are gone.

I'll be the first to say that no one is entitled to anything. That's the problem with today's generation of college students. The mindset is still...if I go to college, I'll be all set with a great job right after graduation. Sorry. Not likely to happen. It seems weird to say, but too many people now have college educations for an economy filled with low skilled labor needs.

The reality is that the largest sector of the economy is the service sector (retail, restaurant, hospitality, sales, ect....). You only need High School for most of these. Now you have millions of college graduates doing these jobs. All the while, they are saddled with loan debt.

coolslice

I ofter run into people that tell me they heard how much drivers make, and they can't believe it. I then have to remind them that I actually work a job and a half to make that money. I then tell them that while the rest of the world eats dinner, or is at their sons ballgame, I'm carrying a sleep number bed up to someone's door in the 95 degree heat.

I used to take pride in how much I make as a driver. These days, I question if it's worth it. I have a feeling I will look back at my life and regret how much I wasn't there for my kids and my wife. These other jobs that make similar money probably get to choose their own vacations, get paid sick days, clock out a 5pm daily, and on and on and on.

​I believe if you're single, the job of a UPS driver is a nice gig. If you are married with kids, it's one of the worst.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I ofter run into people that tell me they heard how much drivers make, and they can't believe it. I then have to remind them that I actually work a job and a half to make that money. I then tell them that while the rest of the world eats dinner, or is at their sons ballgame, I'm carrying a sleep number bed up to someone's door in the 95 degree heat.

I used to take pride in how much I make as a driver. These days, I question if it's worth it. I have a feeling I will look back at my life and regret how much I wasn't there for my kids and my wife. These other jobs that make similar money probably get to choose their own vacations, get paid sick days, clock out a 5pm daily, and on and on and on.

​I believe if you're single, the job of a UPS driver is a nice gig. If you are married with kids, it's one of the worst.

If you were married to my wife, it would be a really nice gig. :happy-very:

Her idea of meeting me at the door in sexy nightwear is wearing I'ves Gumby suit.

BrownArmy

My point is, this is how UPS driver income stacks up.

Any other questions?

But seriously, if you're not interested in seeing a wide comparison of other careers that pay similarly to ours, then so be it. You don't need to reply.
We're all here simply to engage in conversation. Is there a point to that? Hmm, maybe not.

Let me rephrase my question:

What is your larger point?

There might not be one, and that's cool too.

Sorry if I sounded snarky, but you're post seemed very random to me.

(There's a pan-handler one one of the routes I cover that easily clears $150 a day...no lie).

Insincerity

I'm Insincere
I'll be the first to say that no one is entitled to anything. That's the problem with today's generation of college students. The mindset is still...if I go to college, I'll be all set with a great job right after graduation. Sorry. Not likely to happen. It seems weird to say, but too many people now have college educations for an economy filled with low skilled labor needs.

The reality is that the largest sector of the economy is the service sector (retail, restaurant, hospitality, sales, ect....). You only need High School for most of these. Now you have millions of college graduates doing these jobs. All the while, they are saddled with loan debt.

College graduates with degrees in the technical, mathematical and science fields are still getting jobs straight out of college.
Ones with history, arts, English and other Liberal Arts college degrees are suffering.

JL 0513

Thing is, these plush, high paying, 8/9-5 jobs have become very difficult to get. They're out their but you better have a nice degree. And most require experience on top of the degree. Also remember if you're making around $80K, you generally carry a lot of responsibility which a lot of people either don't want or can't handle. I certainly wouldn't want the stress of a lot of responsibility. Or being a manager. I wouldn't want it.

As for our hours...yes, they're not ideal. Does stink to miss the family time in the early evening. These days though it is very common for parents to be working hours at all times of the day. I've worked retail. Would start as early as 6am one day. Close at 11pm on another. Same in the restaurant business. All for crappy money. My better jobs had be starting at 7am. I now start at 9am at UPS. So I have more AM time than many workers.

Another comparison: My wife is a computer programmer (currently laid off). She's worked as a programmer at 3 companies since college and they've each paid "only" $40K. For computer programming, in Boston, MA! You know how complicated that stuff is? It's like reading Greek if you're unfamiliar with it. There are others that can pay a lot more, but again, very hard to get.

JL 0513

Let me rephrase my question:

What is your larger point?

There might not be one, and that's cool too.

Sorry if I sounded snarky, but you're post seemed very random to me.

(There's a pan-handler one one of the routes I cover that easily clears $150 a day...no lie).

No worries. I don't see any problem with "random posts". Most are. And this is a forum where we talk about everything (in its correct sub-forum).

Just thought it would be very interesting to see what other types of work compare in compensation to PC drivers. :wink2:

bumped

Your correct. Also, none of the careers on the published list have their bodies beaten up like ours.

bumped

Thing is, these plush, high paying, 8/9-5 jobs have become very difficult to get. They're out their but you better have a nice degree. And most require experience on top of the degree. Also remember if you're making around $80K, you generally carry a lot of responsibility which a lot of people either don't want or can't handle. I certainly wouldn't want the stress of a lot of responsibility. Or being a manager. I wouldn't want it.

As for our hours...yes, they're not ideal. Does stink to miss the family time in the early evening. These days though it is very common for parents to be working hours at all times of the day. I've worked retail. Would start as early as 6am one day. Close at 11pm on another. Same in the restaurant business. All for crappy money. My better jobs had be starting at 7am. I now start at 9am at UPS. So I have more AM time then many workers.

Another comparison: My wife is a computer programmer (currently laid off). She's worked as a programmer at 3 companies since college and they've each paid "only" $40K. For computer programming, in Boston, MA! You know how complicated that stuff is? It's like reading Greek if you're unfamiliar with it. There are others that can pay a lot more, but again, very hard to get.

Getting a UPS full time job is not easy to get either.