Hip Replacement in my future

ups_vette

It's become obvious that during your generation, Vette, everyone was much tougher and worked much harder.

No CTOTH, not everyone. There were a few idiot slackers, such as you, in my generation. They didn't last too long, and I see the same thing for you in your future if you continue in your current direction.

CTOTH

Not retired, just tired
No CTOTH, not everyone. There were a few idiot slackers, such as you, in my generation. They didn't last too long, and I see the same thing for you in your future if you continue in your current direction.
Perhaps you could help me change my ways o' Great One. Point me in right direction.

BTW, whether you care or not. I pride myself on my work ethic.
My first job was in a welding shop at the age of 11, making $2/hr. I worked 8 hrs/day for the entire summer and have not been unemployed since.
All through High school I attended school until 2pm. From there I went to my 1st job in an auto shop for 3 hours then I continued to the Supermarket where I worked until midnight everynight.
I still continue to work 15 hours a day, everyday, only to be told I'm not working hard enough by someone like you, who has been sitting in a chair for maybe all of 6 hours. I have never been fired or laid off from any position. In fact, I get harassed by my previous employers on a regular basis. "Do you need a job?", they ask.
But afterall, that is the definition of slacker, right?

disneyworld

I've recently been informed that I should definitely have my hip replaced but I want to hold it off until I get out of school in May. I'm in agony some nights during work. Will UPS accomodate me with light duty? Will the union fight for me if they don't? Is there language in the contract about something like this? Has anyone been through this process? Does anyone have a link for the contract? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Anyone familiar with insurance while on disability? I've been told that the recovery time from hip replacement is anywhere from 3-6 months. I'm concerned my insurance will run out if I go the entire 6 months. What do I do if it does? HHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPPP

helenofcalifornia

I was out for 11 months one time and our (California) state disability insurance covered me the whole time. My health benefits for my family were paid for too (byUPS) the entire time. Each state probably has different disability programs. I had to call Unemployment (where State Disability is) to start my claim. Start early in the process before you have the surgery. Good luck! I am taking so many "home remedies" now to forestall my inevitable knee replacement. My mom read something in the newspaper by Dr. Gott about rubbing castor oil on your knee. And drinking 2 oz. of Pectin in Grape juice. And don't forget your flaxseed oil and your fish oil supplements. And I am going to try accupuncture soon too. If anybody knows of any other home remedies that have worked for someone else, please let me know. As you can see, I am willing to try about anything to reduce the pain. (Beside Advil)

laborer

Dr. Trickpony... My accountant recently had a hip replacement and has never been a driver for UPS. How can you explain this? He has worked his entire life behind a desk. My next door neighbor's wife has had her knee replaced and she also had never worked for UPS, having been a housewife for over 30 years.

Would you please post the medical study that affirms your conclusion that being a driver for UPS is the cause for joint replacements and has nothing to do with genetics or disease, or that UPS drivers have a higher rate of joint replacements than the general population.

Wikipedia-"The most common form of arthritis, osteoarthritis is also known as degenerative joint disease and occurs following trauma to the joint, following an infection of the joint or simply as a result of aging."

This sounds like their is a slight possibility that working for UPS could speed up the onset of arthritis.

Disney, I'm sure it varies from supplement to supplement but in the Southern your insurance is paid for 6 months while on disability.

moreluck

golden ticket member
kind of off topic, but the previous post reminded me of something. Working as a driver at UPS and practicing the proper techniques can sometimes postpone degenerative ortho problems too.

Hubby has spondylolisthesis (sp). It's a degenerative back disc disorder. Because of doing proper lifting techniques as taught by UPS, he built up muscle in his legs and back which did a lot of the "back work" that allowed him to go probably 5 yrs. to 7 yrs. longer than average folks until he had to have a spinal fusion.

I guess it can work both ways.

dammor

Dr. Trickpony.....I was unaware that UPS had instituted a requirment that pkg drs JUMP in and out of the pkg car. Are pkg drivers now required to RUN up and down stairs also?

Have you found the medical study that confirms UPS pkg drs have a higher frequency of joint replacements, or haven't you found the time to look thru all the medical journals you receive ? It couldn't be that with all your medical training you're mistaken is it? NO...of course not. You are a highly trained medical doctor/ UPS Feeder Driver who is never wrong about anything.

Injuries are a constant at UPS. I don't know when you retired Vette, but when I started at UPS the weight limit was 50 pounds. Then it went up to 70. Then it went up to 150. While it's true many people have problems with joints that don't work at UPS, I think the weight we haul around day after day takes an extra toll on our joints. Call me Dr. Dammor if you like. I got my degree in common sense and it only took 27 years to get it. My folks are in thier middle 70's and have less joint problems than I do. I will not be so lucky at thier age and neither will most that have put in many years at this job. Surely you must understand that.

helenofcalifornia

You know what's funny is that all week long I can do the job with some knee pain and a bit of a limp, but on Saturday, I am totally crippled and have to hobble downstairs one stair at a time. I limp and can't walk very fast or for a long period of time. I can only imagine what it will be like in 10 more years.