Hired as Preload after peak to await RPCD? Too good to be true?

PVD Scab

Howdy guys and gals. After a successful peak season as a PVD Scab I asked sup how much notice they expected if I was offered a different job as I had put in a few applications. He said they wanted to keep me on and he was going to lean on the center manager and get me an answer in the next couple days about what they could offer me. Called me two days later to ask if I would be willing to work preload or local sort "until a class opens up to go driving". I told him preload and asked if "until a class opens up to go driving" meant working preload for months or if it meant working preload for years. He said months. Asked if it would be a 22.4 position and was informed that we don't even have 22.4's at our center (smaller center) and that I would be RPCD.

Too good to be true? I know people work years at UPS before this kind of opportunity comes around so just wondering what you all think. Sup has been straightforward, helpful and forthcoming with information through peak season so I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt and not think they're trying to sucker me into working preload forever.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
You know how you can tell when a member of management is lying? It's if their lips are moving. They will tell you anything to string you along. If you're still there, it's to their benefit, not yours. I wish you the best in your endeavors, just take what is said with a grain of salt.

In before the pessimists get here 😅. You will have to read the situation and decide yourself. Either they just want warm bodies for pre load or you did a good job and they hope you will run and gun. Smaller centers are tougher than the bigger centers as you won't have enough seniority to bid a route for quite some time.
If I was you I would stay with UPS and even if it is preload for a while get another PT job, even the pt benefits are great.

Cloud

Sorry to break it to you, but this sounds like you are being strung along. If they don't have a position right now to offer, then chances are they don't need more drivers.

And the end of the day, you have to decide if it's worth it to you. Is working 3.5 to 4 hrs as a part-timer enough to pay the bills? Probably not. These imaginary "brownie points" will most likely be forgotten because all management cares about is their numbers and not your well-being.

NAHimGOOD

Nothing to see here.... Move along.
Howdy guys and gals. After a successful peak season as a PVD Scab I asked sup how much notice they expected if I was offered a different job as I had put in a few applications. He said they wanted to keep me on and he was going to lean on the center manager and get me an answer in the next couple days about what they could offer me. Called me two days later to ask if I would be willing to work preload or local sort "until a class opens up to go driving". I told him preload and asked if "until a class opens up to go driving" meant working preload for months or if it meant working preload for years. He said months. Asked if it would be a 22.4 position and was informed that we don't even have 22.4's at our center (smaller center) and that I would be RPCD.

Too good to be true? I know people work years at UPS before this kind of opportunity comes around so just wondering what you all think. Sup has been straightforward, helpful and forthcoming with information through peak season so I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt and not think they're trying to sucker me into working preload forever.
If working here is what you want....

Ride the wave until you hit shore.

Nobody here will be able to tell you if the supe is blowing smoke, but you should be able to read your coworkers by now.

Good luck whichever way you decide.

D0hhh

I was in the same situation last year where i was a seasonal driver. They asked me to atleast have your foot in the door and asked me to apply for preload. Got rehired as reload in feb. Worked the preload for 1 month then lucky i guess things sped up and drove as cover driver in march. Didnt do my 30 days until june but drove the whole time. Im in a bigger center.

PVD Scab

If working here is what you want....

Ride the wave until you hit shore.

Nobody here will be able to tell you if the supe is blowing smoke, but you should be able to read your coworkers by now.

Good luck whichever way you decide.
Yep I appreciate it and for sure no one here can predict the outcome accurately. Just wondering if someone had been given a gameplan like this by a higher up and then sidelined indefinitely.

Give it a shot.
At least it will get the clock ticking to get your benefits

PVD Scab

Give it a shot.
At least it will get the clock ticking to get your benefits
Very true. If driving doesn't happen I'd most likely just get a second part time job as we are a family of 4 in desperate need of insurance. From everything I've read you can't really beat the insurance at this job, especially since it comes included.

watdaflock?

It'll not be forever, but guessing longer than a few months. I don't know anything.

Heck yeah it is. Priced through marketplace the best we can do for private insurance is 5 to 7 hundred a month and has some crazy deductibles. For now we just save money and pray that no one gets hurt as I haven't worked a job that offers insurance in a while.
Then I guess you answer your own question here.
Tell them yes

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Here I tell people to go for it since we have a high staring wage AND work 6-7 hour preloads AND the wait to drive is 1 year. Other areas not so lucky.

It's early AM though so try to find a comfy second job that is not very difficult or just do double shifts.

barnyard

KTM rider
Hard to say.
I am in an outstate building. After peak last year, we had 4 or 5 people that were hired for peak that are now all FT 22.4 drivers. We have Saturday delivery, so we also have 22.4. We have also had enough growth that we added 3 or 4 off the street hires. Looking at retirements that are coming. The very 1st 22.4 in my building is already a RPCD.

You will have to look at the seniority list at the building where you will work and ask a couple of people that work there. They will know, no one here will.

trickpony1

Oh no doubt I took the job its the best thing smokin as far as my opportunities go at the moment. Thanks to everyone who chimed in!

After several months they may blow smoke up your pant leg and ask if you want to be a part time supervisor.
"we see potential in you".

Be afraid....very afraid.

PVD Scab

After several months they may blow smoke up your pant leg and ask if you want to be a part time supervisor.
"we see potential in you".

Be afraid....very afraid.
Haha yeah from everything I've heard about that its gonna be a no from me. Rather work part time with benefits and get a 2nd job, I've had my fun managing people and it'd take a lot, in writing, to get me back in a management position.

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD

work preload , await your turn to drive . You’re one of the lucky ones!
🧔✊

There are some centers that never adapted to the volume increase last year and may just be catching up, so this kind of thing can happen. If it works out, it's more than worth it. If you have to wait a year or so, it's still more than worth it. Get a second job or whatever you need to do, but the money and benefits are unmatched.