Hiring on Backlog

maxkimber

Hi,

I am new here and hope to be new to UPS in the near future (despite what I have read here:happy2:), as a part-time unloader/loader. I attended my 0200 facility tour, then information session/first interview (yes I am alive), and then was told UPS hires on a backlog and that was it - have a nice day. The HR rep wouldn't/couldn't tell me when I might be called in for another interview or to start. Any ideas on how long this process takes? It drives me crazy because they are advertising the position(s) weekly.

Thanks...

(I understand the time will vary from center to center, but I choose to remain "anonymous" at this time.)

helenofcalifornia

I would keep calling them and letting them know that you are very interested in the job and hope to be working for them in the very near future. Find out what a "backlog" means.

maxkimber

I believe the "backlog" is a pool of "qualified" (and I use that term lightly, as the interview really wasn't a interview) personnel, then they actually hire, or call applicants for a second interview, as they need people. What I do not understand is this: The job has been advertised for well over a month, the HR rep said they had over 2000 applicants the week prior to my "interview," and one of the actual manager spoke to my group as if we were starting the next day, why the drama - don't they know how many people they need? It could be two weeks or 8 months before I get the call to duty.

They (UPS) mentioned turnover is really bad, but do they need an applicant pool in the thousands???

brownrodster

I believe the "backlog" is a pool of "qualified" (and I use that term lightly, as the interview really wasn't a interview) personnel, then they actually hire, or call applicants for a second interview, as they need people. What I do not understand is this: The job has been advertised for well over a month, the HR rep said they had over 2000 applicants the week prior to my "interview," and one of the actual manager spoke to my group as if we were starting the next day, why the drama - don't they know how many people they need? It could be two weeks or 8 months before I get the call to duty.

They (UPS) mentioned turnover is really bad, but do they need an applicant pool in the thousands???

Sounds like you are talking about a large UPS hub facility. They probably need a constant pool of applicants to replace the people who constantly quit. Turnover is fierce. Just get the number to the HR people and leave them messages all the time that you want the job! eventually you will get it. I did that for 2 months before I was hired.

helenofcalifornia

2000 people applied? What area do you (or will you) work in? Obviously a hub. I have never heard of 2000 people responding to a help wanted ad for UPS. I didn't know that there were that many people who wanted to work at UPS these days. Good luck.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

2000 people applied? What area do you (or will you) work in? Obviously a hub. I have never heard of 2000 people responding to a help wanted ad for UPS. I didn't know that there were that many people who wanted to work at UPS these days. Good luck.

I don't know if they want to work specifically at UPS or are simply looking for a job with a solid company which offers competitive wages and a strong benefit package, especially in today's economy. Here in Upstate NY, UPS is the one of the premier employers and hardly a day goes by that I am not asked if we are hiring.

rod

Retired 22 years

My center was located in a small town of about 12,000 pop. We once had over 600 show up to apply for a drivers job. Now days it is probably different but back when UPS was really "THE" place to work the town would more or less shut down because everyone was out at UPS applying for that dream job.:happy2:

omgitsnick

Hi,

I am new here and hope to be new to UPS in the near future (despite what I have read here:happy2:), as a part-time unloader/loader. I attended my 0200 facility tour, then information session/first interview (yes I am alive), and then was told UPS hires on a backlog and that was it - have a nice day. The HR rep wouldn't/couldn't tell me when I might be called in for another interview or to start. Any ideas on how long this process takes? It drives me crazy because they are advertising the position(s) weekly.

Thanks...

(I understand the time will vary from center to center, but I choose to remain "anonymous" at this time.)

fill me in on the outcome.