Hiring Process

Skeeter69

Id love some insight from some of the members here, being former military I have a healthy skepticism for what recruiters tell me, especially since what Im being told is different from pretty much everything Ive read on here.
I applied for a Seasonal, FT temp driver job but wasnt able to schedule an interview because there were never slots available, then 2 weeks later I get a call from a HR recruiter regarding a FT job, I confirmed with her it wasnt a temp job, she stated "we have a few 22.4 positions and a regular driver spot open" I was told they didnt need to interview me (which I find odd) that I just needed to do a road test and if satisfactory would be offered a job on the spot, I dont know if it matters but I have 21 years commercial driving experience, 6 years OTR and the last 15 with Fedex Ground (I know). My issue is the center is a 9 hour drive from where I currently live, which Im planning on relocating, I just hadnt expected my timeline to be moved up so quickly and if this isnt legit I dont wanna drive from Oklahoma to Iowa for the driving test, if it is I have no problem with it whatsoever. Regarding training she told me I would take an online training class from home for 3 days, then spend 2 days at my work location then they would send me to their training center in Des Moines and cover my hotel and all that and upon returning to my work location I would work on a training route with a supervisor for 30 days. Am I just lucky? it sounds like very few drivers are hired off the street. Thanks for any info or advice... Ive wanted to do this for a long time, I was under the impression though Id work for years inside PT before ever seeing a steering wheel and financially that wouldnt work for me.

Skeeter69

Thats what Im afraid of. Im moving anyway as its my hometown and with my parents getting older I need to be closer, I just had planned on it happening so fast. Recruiter definitely seems like theres a sense of urgency to the whole thing, that If I dont move quickly Ill miss the opportunity. She did mention something about a law in Iowa apparently changing July 1st that requires a CDL for package car drivers and that there was going to be a backlog in training. Anyway I told her Id like to schedule a road test so she said she would contact the local center and they would contact me directly, As I said the whole thing seems odd but if it is in fact a permanent job Ill accept in a heartbeat.... Even from everything Ive read on here its gotta be better than Fedex Ground.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
Thats what Im afraid of. Im moving anyway as its my hometown and with my parents getting older I need to be closer, I just had planned on it happening so fast. Recruiter definitely seems like theres a sense of urgency to the whole thing, that If I dont move quickly Ill miss the opportunity. She did mention something about a law in Iowa apparently changing July 1st that requires a CDL for package car drivers and that there was going to be a backlog in training. Anyway I told her Id like to schedule a road test so she said she would contact the local center and they would contact me directly, As I said the whole thing seems odd but if it is in fact a permanent job Ill accept in a heartbeat.... Even from everything Ive read on here its gotta be better than Fedex Ground.
Give it go but don't go in expecting that hr told you the full truth. Their job is to get people through the door. It can be a full time but it can take a while

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Id love some insight from some of the members here, being former military I have a healthy skepticism for what recruiters tell me, especially since what Im being told is different from pretty much everything Ive read on here.
I applied for a Seasonal, FT temp driver job but wasnt able to schedule an interview because there were never slots available, then 2 weeks later I get a call from a HR recruiter regarding a FT job, I confirmed with her it wasnt a temp job, she stated "we have a few 22.4 positions and a regular driver spot open" I was told they didnt need to interview me (which I find odd) that I just needed to do a road test and if satisfactory would be offered a job on the spot, I dont know if it matters but I have 21 years commercial driving experience, 6 years OTR and the last 15 with Fedex Ground (I know). My issue is the center is a 9 hour drive from where I currently live, which Im planning on relocating, I just hadnt expected my timeline to be moved up so quickly and if this isnt legit I dont wanna drive from Oklahoma to Iowa for the driving test, if it is I have no problem with it whatsoever. Regarding training she told me I would take an online training class from home for 3 days, then spend 2 days at my work location then they would send me to their training center in Des Moines and cover my hotel and all that and upon returning to my work location I would work on a training route with a supervisor for 30 days. Am I just lucky? it sounds like very few drivers are hired off the street. Thanks for any info or advice... Ive wanted to do this for a long time, I was under the impression though Id work for years inside PT before ever seeing a steering wheel and financially that wouldnt work for me.
You being former military, you can relate to the stories you hear about military recruiter's talking about condo's and other amenities like they are a resort. UPS HR is way worse than that!

Skeeter69

Did you lose your cdl? Why aren't you driving class A? Whats the story here
I let my CDL go when I came off the road, didnt need it with Fedex and I had no desire to do long haul ever again (still dont), I thought I had found a pretty good job and it wasnt bad at first, really its only been the last 6 years or so things have started to blow up