Hiring relatives

Quigley

What is the policy now on hiring relatives? I`m a feeder driver and my son wants to work part time in the same building. Where can I find the policy in writing, there is nothing in the contract that I can see.
Thank You Quigley

dragracer66

What is the policy now on hiring relatives? I`m a feeder driver and my son wants to work part time in the same building. Where can I find the policy in writing, there is nothing in the contract that I can see.
Thank You Quigley
In metro phila it happen's all the time.....

Channahon

Thank You Quigley

Welcome to Brown Cafe and enjoy your stay.

The only policy UPS has on hiring relatives is in regards to UPS management. Check with you Human Resource rep or management team and let them know your son is interested in working part time at UPS.

Quigley

I asked the local Human Resources rep and he told me since I start my shift before the local sort started my son wouldnt be able to work local sort. And since my shift desnt end before preload starts then he couldnt work there either. In other words we cant be in the same building at the same time. That doesn make any sense to me so thats why I`m asking. Sure would like to see something in writing about this.
Thanks Quigley

VTBrown

White River JCT VT center has a preload sup who is the sister of a full-time driver in the same center.

No...that is not my center :)

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
I asked the local Human Resources rep and he told me since I start my shift before the local sort started my son wouldnt be able to work local sort. And since my shift desnt end before preload starts then he couldnt work there either. In other words we cant be in the same building at the same time. That doesn make any sense to me so thats why I`m asking. Sure would like to see something in writing about this.

I'm going to go out on a limb based on the posts above and my own experience and say you're probably somewhere int the West. I had the same problem getting my brother on at UPS in Colorado. I found a better opportunity for him and he's working there now.

At our building I know of 2 package drivers whose sons work part time, 1 on the local sort and 1 on the preload.

This doesn't surprise me. I didn't have a problem getting ANOTHER of my brothers on the same sort as I was working in Illinois. I don't know why the policy was enforced differently here.

White River JCT VT center has a preload sup who is the sister of a full-time driver in the same center.

This sounds like a possible ethical problem IMHO. -Rocky

Quigley

I appreciate all the replys from everyone, but could someone please tell me where I could find the company policy on this in writing? And yes I`m in the west.
Thank You Quigley

VTBrown

Page 26 of the Policy Book.

We Limit the Employment of Relatives. In order to help
maintain equal opportunity of employment for the general
public and equal opportunity of promotion for our employees,
we limit the hiring of relatives. Relatives of current employees
up to and including the level of center manager are eligible
only for part-time employment in operations. Relatives of
current employees at the level of division manager or above
are ineligible for employment. Also, we do not hire relatives
of former district managers or managers with equivalent or
higher levels of responsibility.
This policy helps us avoid misunderstandings, acts of
favoritism, or the perception of favoritism that could arise
were an employee in a position to influence the hiring,
work, or advancement of a relative.
For similar reasons, we discourage continuation of the
full-time or part-time employment of any employee who
marries another employee while either person holds a
management position.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
And yes I`m in the west.

I thought so, based on the fact that the other posters with no problems were in the East. I'm guessing the people in the West are on a shorter leash than the East for one reason or another. Keep in mind you have a lot more Right To Work States here than in the East, too. -Rocky

Quigley

Thank You VTBROWN. I have allways heard about this elusive policy book but have never seen one. Where can a person get his hands on one?
Thank You Quigley

tonycl65

When it says employment of relatives......What is a relative exactly.

I guess I'm asking what counts. I understand spouse, children, siblings and parents.

What about grandparents and in-laws like brother in-laws and such?

Anyone know for sure what the cut-off is?

Thanks

Tony

HazMatMan

Thank You Quigley
He can work there, no problem. Several relatives working in my building.

tritese

tritese
I don't think there is a written policy. I would go over that HR reps head. At our hub, the policy was no relatives for years but it changed about 6-7 years ago.......there were sisters working at same hub before policy changed......everyone knew they were sisters and nothing was said.....i think it depends on who you are (unfortunately)....i know of a lot of feeder drivers who have children working in the hub and on preload.....