Hiring

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
Does anybody know if there is going to be any hiring the first week of the year?
I heard they were hiring a bunch of new mechanics Monday since our current ones can't fix shzit.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Our mechanics do a great job with the crap and budget they get to work with. OP, don't know if they are hiring but this site sure has alot of openings.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I heard they were hiring a bunch of new mechanics Monday since our current ones can't fix shzit.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Our mechanics do a great job with the crap and budget they get to work with. OP, don't know if they are hiring but this site sure has alot of openings.
Yep, the problem is trying to do too much with too little.

upschuck

First week is still considered peak, so they'd still be using their seasonal hires. Last year they hired right after peak ended(2nd full week of January), which was a first in many years.

Gear

Parts on Order
Mechanics get hired as needed, even in december during peak. They only advertise by the UPS site and word of mouth. So if you see an open position for mechanic, you maybe 1 of 2 people who get interviewed. As far as skills go, if its a 1 mechanic center you have to some experience, if there is more then one mechanic at the center, the standards go way down. They've hired guys with no CDL and no inspections licenses (if your state has inspections). They just give them a reasonable time to obtain the required licenses. I think this is the easiest way to get a full time job with UPS. Waiting for an opening is the hardest part. The IAM pension is excellent, so guys aren't staying longer they need too.

Mechanic70

Mechanics get hired as needed, even in december during peak. They only advertise by the UPS site and word of mouth. So if you see an open position for mechanic, you maybe 1 of 2 people who get interviewed. As far as skills go, if its a 1 mechanic center you have to some experience, if there is more then one mechanic at the center, the standards go way down. They've hired guys with no CDL and no inspections licenses (if your state has inspections). They just give them a reasonable time to obtain the required licenses. I think this is the easiest way to get a full time job with UPS. Waiting for an opening is the hardest part. The IAM pension is excellent, so guys aren't staying longer they need too.
Interviewed with mechanic supervisor three months ago. Still no word but I hear job is still open. Any words of wisdom?

Gear

Parts on Order
Interviewed with mechanic supervisor three months ago. Still no word but I hear job is still open. Any words of wisdom?

Its hard to say what they plan on doing. Saving money is the number 1 goal. And mechanics cost the company money, we dont make them money. Thats how they see automotive/mechanics. I know the position I got was left open for months, they were thinking about eliminating it. Here is another example, 2 guys interviewed for one position, 1 guy got the job. Another position opened up 3 months later, the second guy from the previous interview got a call and was offered the job. There was no posting or interviews for the second position, they kept his resume on file.

If you got the interview they are atleast interested. Mechanics are the held to the same appearance guidelines as drivers. So, if you're covered in tattoos, facial piercings, long hair, and got some crazy beard, you maybe passed over. This would be the #1 disqualifier for most mechanics I know. Keep checking the UPS site and apply to any open mech position. There has been 4 new hires in the last 15 months and 2 more guys retiring in the next 3 years around me. Good luck.

Gear

Parts on Order
how are they hiring mechanics without bidding the jobs first?

Im mean outside posting for off the street hires. The inside bid sheet for employees always happens. When a mech retires there is always an opening. Even if guys bid between shops, there is still an opening somewhere from the original guy leaving.

dragracer66

Im mean outside posting for off the street hires. The inside bid sheet for employees always happens. When a mech retires there is always an opening. Even if guys bid between shops, there is still an opening somewhere from the original guy leaving.
For us after 2 bids the 3rd opening is off the street. Is that the way it is for your location?

Gear

Parts on Order
For us after 2 bids the 3rd opening is off the street. Is that the way it is for your location?

Its the same here. I had to check the contract. Ive only seen 1 guy bid to a tractor opening which left a PC opening. All PC openings have been filled with off the street hires. No one around here wants to give up their fleet for someone else's. I hear guys say they want to bid out, but taking someone else's PCs just doesnt seem worth it. Especially if theirs is squared away. Bidding to tractors is like a whole new job, which makes starting from scratch worth it.