Many laid off, but now have new hires!?

RedRover

Can someone explain how UPS Chelmsford had so many layoffs, yet this week they marched in groups of new hires off the streets? I thought they were supposed to offer people their jobs back before they offer them to people who have never worked there.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
Can someone explain how UPS Chelmsford had so many layoffs, yet this week they marched in groups of new hires off the streets? I thought they were supposed to offer people their jobs back before they offer them to people who have never worked there.
Have all the affected employees attained seniority?

If they have, then the company should be offering work in seniority order, and they should seek out their union steward.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Are those people laid off willing to come in an do hub work? I see a lot of laid off feeder/package car drivers who think they are too good for hub work or "not that's not what they got hired for."

muthatrucka

Are those people laid off willing to come in an do hub work? I see a lot of laid off feeder/package car drivers who think they are too good for hub work or "not that's not what they got hired for."
Alot of laid off feeder drivers were part time for years. I myself was part time loading,unloading and sorting for 8 years. If they keep cutting our feeder runs, I'm gonna find myself loading trailers again soon.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Alot of laid off feeder drivers were part time for years. I myself was part time loading,unloading and sorting for 8 years. If they keep cutting our feeder runs, I'm gonna find myself loading trailers again soon.

Yes they were. I worked preload many years ago and worked a lot of doubles. That being said, I was referring mainly to the new generation of drivers. They hire them off the street and they are too good to work the hub.

542thruNthru

Yes they were. I worked preload many years ago and worked a lot of doubles. That being said, I was referring mainly to the new generation of drivers. They hire them off the street and they are too good to work the hub.
Same with the "22.4s"
Old Contract: "Teamsters suck! 22.4s are bad!"

New Contract: "Teamsters suck... I have to load boxes! Bring back 22.4s!!"
d2342501-4276-4ad8-8d1a-99848c5abac2_text.gif

That west coast pension money is nice though. :)

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
I just wanted a weekly schedule that wouldn't flick around randomly. 22.4 language was a nightmare in that regard since it bypassed layoff NOTICE language. Changing out all your body mechanics is no joke either. Not having responsibilities is nice but it's not a vacation.