History of the Teamsters Union

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
hey something I've always wondered but I've never been able to find the answer to is when did UPS unionize?

was it right from the start or did it happen a few decades later?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

hey something I've always wondered but I've never been able to find the answer to is when did UPS unionize?

Jim Casey invited the Union in to represent their hourly employees in 1916, nearly a decade after American Messenger Service was established in 1907.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.

IMG_1860.jpg

hyena

Jim Casey invited the Teamsters to represent his employees. During the 1930's all southern Cali became union.After that it was pretty much by city or local jurisdiction. Read the book Big Brown.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

Jim Casey invited the Teamsters to represent his employees. During the 1930's all southern Cali became union.After that it was pretty much by city or local jurisdiction. Read the book Big Brown.

The furthest I can go back.... is a "partial" state contract on March 10, 1968.

(a whopping 24 pages long)

The first Central Region Agreement was April (?) of 1973.

The first National contract was May 1, 1979.

-Bug-

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The furthest I can go back.... is a "partial" state contract on March 10, 1968.

(a whopping 24 pages long)

The first Central Region Agreement was April (?) of 1973.

The first National contract was May 1, 1979.

-Bug-

Jim Casey invited the Union in to represent their hourly employees in 1916, nearly a decade after American Messenger Service was established in 1907.

Jim Casey was a genius! He knew that a big union presence was around his company and he didn't want a bad apple of a union to come in and grip up his employees... At the same time he knew his management team would walk all over his employees if he didn't know and would until the end of UPS's time... He also could bring the balance to both sides... I wish more of the management team in UPS could be like him. Jim Casey, cheers to you.

km3

Jim Casey was a genius! He knew that a big union presence was around his company and he didn't want a bad apple of a union to come in and grip up his employees... At the same time he knew his management team would walk all over his employees if he didn't know and would until the end of UPS's time... He also could bring the balance to both sides... I wish more of the management team in UPS could be like him. Jim Casey, cheers to you.

I wish I knew more about him than I do, but based on what I do know...Jim Casey sounds like he was a damn good man.

I love that UPS invited us Teamsters to work here. You can always run that by your boss.
I do all the time... You can bet on that brother.. My famous says is,

1) You come and go. You won't be here for long.

2) I get older and slower every day.

3) The company is like a child, I smack my hand in front of them and say "no bad".

4) Your founder invited teamsters to work here because he knew men and women like you would run this company into the ground!

Last edited:

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
More like unions were taking over during the period and he knew it was inevitable.