Hours worked

UPSGUY72

8:30 to 10:30 with a 1hour lunch then someone else drove from 1030 to 12:10

You can't work more than 14 hours. Once you punch in you have to be off the clock 14 hours later period whether or not those are driving hours or sitting doing nothing. Of the clock means not working at all it doesn't mean working and not getting paid. You also can't drive more than 11 hrs a day. (Package car drivers don't have to worry about that rule).

You also have to have 10 hours off before your next shift starts...

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
You can't work more than 14 hours. Once you punch in you have to be off the clock 14 hours later period whether or not those are driving hours or sitting doing nothing. Of the clock means not working at all it doesn't mean working and not getting paid. You also can't drive more than 11 hrs a day. (Package car drivers don't have to worry about that rule).

You also have to have 10 hours off before your next shift starts...

Incorrect.

You just cannot drive after be on duty for 14 hours.

As long as someone else is driving, you can work for 24 hours.

I believe the OP said a sup came out and drove. Long day and ridiculous, but legal.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Cool, and you still can't clock in for a driving job till 10 hours after you clock out, even as a jump seat warmer.
Not true.

DOT rules just say that you cannot drive without having 10 hours off.

If you are a jump seat warmer, you are not subject to DOT hours of service and can work unlimited hours.
This is why I said "driving job" be it at UPS or otherwise. If I meant helper job I would have said helper. I suppose the confusion came in as you think I meant he can't clock in as a helper unless he has 10 hours off, I was referring to clocking back in as a driver as being a jump seat warmer after his shift.

Last edited:

UPSGUY72

This is why I said "driving job" be it at UPS or otherwise. If I meant helper job I would have said helper. I suppose the confusion came in as you think I meant he can't clock in as a helper unless he has 10 hours off, I was referring to clocking back in as a driver as being a jump seat warmer after his shift.

It doesn't matter what you are doing it count towards your 14 hours. You could drive 15 minutes during the 14 hours you where on duty and all 14 hours count toward HOS hours.... You would still need to have a 10 hour break before you start your next shift. Even if on the next shift you only where going to drive for 15 min. The 14 and 10 hour rules are for the person get some sleep....

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!

Got it now.

I did think you meant a seat warmer the whole day and someone else driving.

Sorry.