How About a Forum For Only Customer Questions or Comments

outta hours

Why not have a forum that the customers can post in and ask any question they want too? Then members who are interested in helping or listening to that type of stuff,could post responses or info in that section. Danny's rules would be a perfect sticky for them to read before posing their question. There are currently 17 different forums at Brown Cafe. Could one more be added for customers since they are coming here anyway?

I have to tell you that all of the negative inquires,comments,or trolling by alleged customers lately have really taken away some of the joy and enthusiasm I have for being here. Those types of threads are draining for all of us. And the problem is you can't tell by the topic until you are already in it.

I for one do not want to be lectured by customers real or not, on how to perform my job. I am here to discuss work related issues with others who do what I do. I have no desire on my off time to track packages, explain policies,business plans,operational challenges,company procedures,etc. with customers. Some of you may enjoy helping with these things. If so your help could be available in that forum if you choose too. If no one responds then so be it. We are not obligated to provide any of this info. But many of you are very helpful and I'm sure that most customer threads would receive a response.

Those of us that would rather not engage in that activity would not be subjected to it in our current UPS Discussion Forum. Then any customer who poses a question in this forum would be moved to the proper place. And we could continue to discuss in here the issues that are important to us as UPS'ers.

I love the Brown Cafe and what it allows us to do. It is a great place, and I look forward to spending time here. This is our locker room. Let's get it back to how it should be. What do all of you think?

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I'd say that is probably an unrealistic idea, but it might work. Unfortunately what will probably happen is you'd be creating that much more work for the mods by having them move every question to a new forum. We really don't get that many customer questions.

I do admit though, this last one (Seattle) did takes its toll. Might be easier to just have the mods close a thread that has reached the end of its life.

drewed

Shankman
I dont like the idea, united package smashers is that way and all it is a bunch of UPS bashing with very few people trying to help

DS

Fenderbender
Why not have a forum that the customers can post in and ask any question they want too?
Because the brown cafe is not ups.This intimates that we have access to more information than ups.com has which is untrue.All we have to offer is advice,and it would be inappropriate to add a forum.
Some of us,including myself,tend to take things personally when a customer has unwarranted negative response to the job we do.
Some members take it a step further and insult them.
I think its fine as it is.

outta hours

Because the brown cafe is not ups.This intimates that we have access to more information than ups.com has which is untrue.All we have to offer is advice,and it would be inappropriate to add a forum.

That is my point,they are coming here anyway seeking more information than they have gained by accessing UPS.com or the 800 number. Many replies from our members to these customers include requests for tracking numbers,locations,and other info that our members should not be requesting from them in order to assist them. Since this is not a UPS site or UPS customer service help desk. Why have a sticky posted informing them how to ask questions here?

If it is indeed inappropriate to add a section for these types of customer questions, then that reinforces my stance that NO customer related UPS information should be exchanged here. Any customer who posts such requests or comments should immediately be redirected to UPS.com or the 1 800 number for answers. And should be informed that this is NOT a UPS affiliated,sponsored, or endorsed,website. And their inquiries should be left unanswered by Brown Cafe members. Otherwise customers who do receive information or feedback from here will automatically associate that information as being from UPS regardless of the disclaimers or terms of service agreement that are in place here.

That too would solve the problem which prompted, and was outlined in my original post in this thread. This is not the place for customers to do"official" UPS business.

Some customers have stated they would not continue to use UPS because of comments and or information they have received here from BC members. I have a huge problem with that. I am sure that UPS would also. This is an anonymous unofficial UPS discussion forum. Any customer requests or comments that are answered or responded to implies and gives the impression to them that this site is more than it is.

That is my point,they are coming here anyway seeking more information than they have gained by accessing UPS.com or the 800 number. Many replies from our members to these customers include requests for tracking numbers,locations,and other info that our members should not be requesting from them in order to assist them. Since this is not a UPS site or UPS customer service help desk. Why have a sticky posted informing them how to ask questions here?

If it is indeed inappropriate to add a section for these types of customer questions, then that reinforces my stance that NO customer related UPS information should be exchanged here. Any customer who posts such requests or comments should immediately be redirected to UPS.com or the 1 800 number for answers. And should be informed that this is NOT a UPS affiliated,sponsored, or endorsed,website. And their inquiries should be left unanswered by Brown Cafe members. Otherwise customers who do receive information or feedback from here will automatically associate that information as being from UPS regardless of the disclaimers or terms of service agreement that are in place here.

That too would solve the problem which prompted, and was outlined in my original post in this thread. This is not the place for customers to do"official" UPS business.

Some customers have stated they would not continue to use UPS because of comments and or information they have received here from BC members. I have a huge problem with that. I am sure that UPS would also. This is an anonymous unofficial UPS discussion forum. Any customer requests or comments that are answered or responded to implies and gives the impression to them that this site is more than it is.

UPS.COM and the 1-800# neither one can shed any light on to what is going on in most cases. We can. What we tell them here is not official and is mainly opinions on what the cause of an issues could be and there will usually be more than one possible answer. Plus, if you think a dedicated forum on this site would stop what has happened here in the last few days, think again, it will not.

outta hours

Plus, if you think a dedicated forum on this site would stop what has happened here in the last few days, think again, it will not.

Sure it would because the garbage that has gone on here would not be allowed. It would be contained in one section. If it were allowed to exist at all. And if you did not want to subject yourself to that kind of thing you could avoid that section. Or better yet how about deleting or locking such customer threads when they start. That would solve it. Instead of fueling their dysfunction with 7 pages of replies.

I am thinking again, and the reason why is precisely because of what has gone on in here lately. Trolls or otherwise. I do not have all the answers, I am merely thinking out loud here, as was intended for this site. Trying to make it better here for all of us. Will it change what happens here? I don't know. I have not relegated myself to the notion that the status quo is always acceptable . Complacency is not my strong suit.

I apologize in advance to any moderator,webmaster, member,etc. who is offended by my suggestions. My suggestions are not a slam on what this site is all about ,or what is tolerated or allowed to exist here . They are simply the thoughts and ideas of a concerned member.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Outta, first and foremost you DON'T HAVE TO READ what you don't like. People are going to come in and ask and no amount of control is going to stop it. You are suggesting doubling or tripling the work load of the few mods that we have. And if you truly believe it will be contained in one section then you've been sleeping to much..................your dreaming.

The "Pointers............." that has been posted is just that, pointers. Nowhere does it claim that we know all, see all. DS has a good point about infringing on UPS's domain. And to post another forum for UPS customers just might be a little to close to that domain. Cheryl, didn't I hear of UPS's lawyers coming down on BC for something or another? Forgive me if I am wrong.

outta hours

DS has a good point about infringing on UPS's domain. And to post another forum for UPS customers just might be a little to close to that domain. Cheryl, didn't I hear of UPS's lawyers coming down on BC for something or another? Forgive me if I am wrong.

Another forum would be close to that domain? Customers are already asking and receiving answers here. Does that qualify as infringement? I was only suggesting that those types of threads have a place of their own. Your argument that such a forum would be crossing the line is not valid,considering those things are already occurring here. Simply under a different heading. Is it infringement to classify this forum as UPS Discussions? After all that is the title right. If it is not, then the same would apply to a forum for customer questions and comments.

I realize as you stated "I DON'T HAVE TO READ THEM". I was only making a suggestion and defending my idea. The love it or leave ideology you suggest is archaic and is not what I feel BC is all about. JMO

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Outa

I understand your frustration.

A customer that comes here with actual questions and help gets a totally different treatment than what others get that come in here with insults to our business and our intelligence. To even think that UPS would be shut down because of weather when other companies are out on road is ludicrous. To get us to believe such an insult only adds to the distaste of the thread.

But you are wrong when you state we do not have any more information than the 800 number or UPS.com. That is the first place to check, just like the phone book is the first place to check if you need a phone number.

There are a lot of different areas where I can get information that is more detailed and timely than those two are. Thats because I used to work AT UPS. This inside track is not for everyone, and would be overwhelmed it if was.

So, when I ask for a tracking number, it is for several reasons.

1 Without it, I am assuming the poster is a troll. Or the package is actually being shipped via someone else. Tracking numbers have become the lifeblood for information dealing with individual package questions.

So without it, there is nothing we can do but theorize.

2 With the tracking number, within two clicks, I can access and verify what the poster has alleged. Several times during discussions like this, what was presented was not what was shown on the package info screen. So that will weed out those that want to cause issues.

3 With the tracking number, I can get more information with greater detail. And if need be, I can get the phone number of the center/hub/building it was in last. In the case of the missing package several years ago, they were called, but had no additional information to offer. But when I sent them a photo of what the item actually looked like, Wadiya know, they had it sitting right there in overgoods. A picture of the item goes a long way. Through traditional methods, would that ever have happened.

So, while there are a lot of posters like you that come here to get away from work, there are those of us that enjoy the hard cases that have been dropped by traditional methods.

I respect your decision to want not to become involved.

By the same token, I would hope that you indulge mine, to help customers in need that have gone through all the traditional help available. I know that sounds weird, someone that no longer works at UPS wanting to help, but I guess that doing it for 30+ years makes it hard to leave behind.

As to their own forum, not my place.

d

outta hours

Good reply Danny. I understand your position and I would never want to keep help from being made available to a valid customer. I see that you can respect my position as well . I do enjoy coming here to escape the rhetoric that dealing with the general public can bring. That's whats awesome about this place there truly is something for everyone.

The question that I posed in this thread was only a question and nothing more. I expressed the reasoning behind my idea and put it out there for all to read and respond to. I enjoy reading what others think about different situations. Especially when they are as well thought out, and written in a respectful manner such as your reply was. That always makes for a good discussion. And that is the reason I enjoy BC so much.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Outta

This site is a very interesting "child".

It has grown from an idea and desire to morph away from another site. AT the time, it was just a dream. But one that Cheryl has put a lot of work and love into creating.

As time progressed, a lot of things have changed. Some to make the site better, others to keep Cheryl from being overwhelmed as her "child" has grown into "a bunch of children" all with great needs. And with those changes comes cost. Not only of money but of time.

So to keep the site growing, she had to enlist some special help. They are called Mods. These mods, or if you want to use the word supervisors, help her keep small issues from getting out of hand. They are able as a group to view more posts, handle more small issues before they get out of hand than Cheryl could on her own.

And my personal view is that she used the wisdom of Solomon, because they do a very good job of keeping things within certain loose bounds, without having to control. In other words, she done good.

WE have gone through several changes here when UPS expanded into different areas of business. Each with their own segment of the board. But ultimately the majority of the posts get posted on the main forum, and have to get moved. Some posts really dont fit anywhere, but yet everywhere. So the proper classification is left up to them.

I dont know if it is even worth having a section just for customers. The vast majority of the time, the customer is happy with our service, so there is no need to go looking for answers.

But what ever the outcome, this is Cheryl's board. She does not charge for admission, it is free to all that want to enter. What ever she decides, I will support. After all, Brown Cafe' is not the best site for anything UPS for no reason:wink2:.

That all being said, while I do enjoy the thoughtful exchange of ideas among current and former employees, I also enjoy a sprited debate as well. Kinda like the full contact fighters that will climb into a ring, go after each other like they want to kill, then when its over, hug and go out for a beer together.

Thats family. Thats Brown Cafe'

d See Sat, the kinder gentler Dannyboy. ;)

Paid-over-in-Maine

15 more years of this!
How do customers find out about this site in the first place? I googled UPS and I didn't see BC anywhere. I know that I don't tell my customers about it and they don't ask me about it either. How would I have known that BC existed if I wasn't an employee?

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Hmmmm, that will be something for me to ponder when I am under this week.

That is one of the reasons why I always ask for the tracking number. Most are just trolls that dont have a life, cant get any action on their own, or just want to go somewhere to trash brown. Like the other site mentioned.

Misery loves company, and they try here.

But there are those that Google does bring here for some reason. Go figure.
d

Type "UPS forums" into www.google.com.
Wes? You still here? Not that I care really, just curious as to why you would keep coming back as you have this huge self drawn target on your chest.

ps, I'm really happy that you finally received all your packages, I know it was a drain on the emotions around your house for way too long.
May you have a happy and prosperous NEW YEAR.

Aiken

Just a Customer
If you have a dedicated customer forum, those who show up out of the blue will get the impression that help is officially offered and a sense of entitlement is appropriate. I think it's obvious how that pans out.

I think you're better off not having one. The way it is, you can offer help to those who you think deserve it, and tell those who don't to bugger off, because it's a UPS watering hole, not a UPS customer service center. My 2c.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
You bring some very valid points to the discussion.

That is something I have noticed around the shop. Offer a little bit of help, and all of a sudden, there is a feeling of entitlements. What was given out of our hearts and spare time, now is demanded.

From the posts of the last two weeks, I understand.

If something like that is going to be in the pipeline for BC, it would have to be unofficial and the disclaimer made as to the availability of help or not.

I hope you hang around!:happy-very:

d

stringerman85

Thank god peak season is over..........Somebody brought up on another thread about how they should ask each new member a secret ups question in order to join....Not a bad idea