How big is your 401k?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Update I have temporally stopped contributing money to my 401k, im now focused on paying off a car loan and I’m sending all of the money that was going into the 401k to the car loan and when I pay it off all of the car payment will go into the 401k on top of the 10%.

the reit has had a good run but seems to be trending down now.
What percent is your car loan at?

oldngray

nowhere special
Long term it is better to put money into a 401k but if you are paying high interest loans (especially credit cards) it is usually better to pay them off first.

joesmith

I have been listening to Dave Ramsey on the radio a little every day and that debt snow ball thing sounds good to me and makes sense to me.

4% car loan

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have been listening to Dave Ramsey on the radio a little every day and that debt snow ball thing sounds good to me and makes sense to me.

4% car loan

I am a huge Dave Ramsey disciple. I followed his common sense advice and wiped out $48K in credit card and other personal debt in 30 months and remain debt free to this day.

He does tend to be a tad too religious for me but his money advice does make a lot of sense.

As for your car loan/401k----you would be better served to make the minimum payments to your car loan and put the rest in your 401k.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
As for your car loan/401k----you would be better served to make the minimum payments to your car loan and put the rest in your 401k.

Depends on the rate. My first car loan was over 10%. I paid it off in 3 years instead of 6. If it's a new 0% intrest for 80 months or whatever they are now then yeah makes no sense to pay off.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I am a huge Dave Ramsey disciple. I followed his common sense advice and wiped out $48K in credit card and other personal debt in 30 months and remain debt free to this day.

He does tend to be a tad too religious for me but his money advice does make a lot of sense.

How in the hell do you rack up that much debt. No offense, just wondering. I don't think we've paid credit card interest in 25 years.

oldngray

nowhere special
Once you start falling into debt and can't pay off that credit card every month it gets a lot easier to slide down the slope and end up deeply in debt.