Western Conference Health Insurance Cost

onestoptogo

I retired over 5 years ago from Western Conference. I was prior military before UPS and served during Desert Storm. Because of this, I receive free medical from the VA and vision care with no dental. When I retired, I opted out of joining the medical plan with the option of joining it again after becoming eligible for Medicare. I must join the medical plan immediately once eligible for Medicare. I have used the VA since retirement and am happy with the services I have received. My wife is still working and has insurance with her work. She will become eligible for Medicare before me, but cannot join the Teamster plan until I am enrolled. I still have a few years to go until I am Medicare eligible. I wonder if anybody on the forum has used this delayed entry program and how much the current premium is for husband and wife with the Teamster insurance as secondary. I will have triple coverage at that point. Thanks!

Shiftless

First off "Thank You for your service!"

You're the first example of this situation I have ever heard of.

As for the Western Conference, the retirement health care programs are different all over the region. So don't depend on what you read here! May get some advice! Good and Bad!

Better to get it straight from those you will be involved with. Contact Welcome | The Western Conference of Teamsters Pension Trust so they can access your individual situation is what I would say.

Good Luck!

onestoptogo

First off "Thank You for your service!"

You're the first example of this situation I have ever heard of.

As for the Western Conference, the retirement health care programs are different all over the region. So don't depend on what you read here! May get some advice! Good and Bad!

Better to get it straight from those you will be involved with. Contact Welcome | The Western Conference of Teamsters Pension Trust so they can access your individual situation is what I would say.

Good Luck!
Thanks. I have just under 3 years to go until hitting 65 and I will talk to union when I get closer to that date. I'm not absolutely sure I will even use it and will evaluate that later. I don't want to bother them this early in the process and was hoping somebody in a similar position would give me an idea of the costs. I would guess somebody who retires and has a spouse that is continuing to work that has family medical insurance to take advantage of this deferred opportunity. My lucky break with VA coverage allowed me to retire at least 3 years early and am grateful for my military service. Any UPS veteran who served in a combat zone is eligible for free VA medical. The combat zone service takes away the requirement for the VA to look at your income to determine eligibility without service related disability.

Last edited:

Shiftless

Hope others will respond on how they dealt with this. Surprised they haven't already.

This part of your post "I will talk to union when I get closer to that date."

Just make sure its with the right people!!! Local's for the most part are CLUELESS!

Make use of the WCT and have your ducks in a row!

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
Thanks. I have just under 3 years to go until hitting 65 and I will talk to union when I get closer to that date. I'm not absolutely sure I will even use it and will evaluate that later. I don't want to bother them this early in the process and was hoping somebody in a similar position would give me an idea of the costs. I would guess somebody who retires and has a spouse that is continuing to work that has family medical insurance to take advantage of this deferred opportunity. My lucky break with VA coverage allowed me to retire at least 3 years early and am grateful for my military service. Any UPS veteran who served in a combat zone is eligible for free VA medical. The combat zone service takes away the requirement for the VA to look at your income to determine eligibility without service related disability.

I’ll give it a shot..

When you turn 65 you still have to apply for Medicare A, simply go down to your local Social Security office.. easy as pie.

I am under the Central so when you retire and turn 65 you have to get on Medicare A and B for minimum health coverage, you lose your Team Care coverage period. There is no supplemental insurance for our retirees, we have to buy Gap Insurance that covers that 20 percent difference under Medicare B. Medicare B in my area runs about 170 a month, the Gap costs me about 114 a month.

We purchased a Medicare D supplement for prescriptions and a Dental supplement those run 200 a month.

Right now Team Care would run 400 a month for both of us, every area is different. I believe those under the West have the best deals and definitely better pension benefits.

Also a Vet, 1972 - 1976…just retired recently so I haven’t checked into VA coverage yet. When you decide your preferred medical provider that will be your primary, you can carry over secondary coverage if you decide to keep your current Union sponsored healthcare after age 65 under the Western. Unfortunately we retirees under the Central and Southern do not have that option.

Sounds like you are in a very good place right now..👍

onestoptogo

I highly recommend you check out your VA benefits. If you had service related disabilities it is easy to get medical. If you received the Southwest Asian Campaign medal or Vietnam service medal you will also get it without having them look at your income. Check your DD214 to see if you earned it. The best part of the VA is prescription coverage. It used to cost $8 per prescription, but ever since covid absolutely free. This is for any prescription and no monthly premium. This will not cover your spouse - only the veteran. I only am considering the Teamster insurance to offset costs to private hospitals after I am 65. I will always have the option to go to a VA hospital.