How do you use your helpers?

Indecisi0n

I am going to be getting on this year for peak. This is my first peak and first time having a helper. I was curious the about how to use them.

menotyou

bella amicizia
If you know how to get a dog to hunt, you will be fine. Not trying to be crude, but they asr there to be your legs. When they are delivering, you are getting your next stops ready. Make them work. That is what they are there for. Having your loader as your helper is the best!!! They know if the dropped a stop, if you have any long items hidden on the floor, little things. I think you will be fine. Just start looking now for your own helper. Don't wait for them to assign you one.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Ran them like a beaten mule,,BUT always buy them a coffee or a soda,snack etc. !! If they are a good helper,I always gave them a little Christmas gift on the 23rd. Not sorry if I offended anyone by saying CHRISTMAS GIFT<<< because THATS what it IS !! Not a Happy Holiday or Seasons Greetings gift !!! LOL

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
''May your day be filled with giggles and glee!! :) '' Filled with Glee everday I see your post !!!!! Have a great loooong weekend !! Menotyou !!!!

bigbrownhen

At first you will only have them for 2 to 4 hrs, then as peak really gets rolling, the max is 6hrs. I usually pick up mine half way through the day, and keep them to clean out the last few commercial stops, then deliver as many resis as we can. If you have a pick up that is heavy, keep them through then, use the extra time to set up the last of the resis you will run by yourself. All routes are a little different. The first week or so is an adjustment. We are used to working alone, so it takes time to figure out the routine.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I think you will be fine. Just start looking now for your own helper. Don't wait for them to assign you one.

You don't want to have last pick and wind up with the worst one. You need one that is willing to hustle. I already have contacted the guy I used the last two weeks of the year after getting a bunch of sorry ones before him. I treat my Helpers with respect, complement them, and pay them a good bonus out of my own pocket on the last day.

gman042

Been around the block a few times
We had our helpers all day long last year. From the time we left the center until we got back. They were getting at least 10 hrs a day.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My helper works the metro so has to be off the car by 1500. He knows how to use the DIAD which is a big help. It's not that hard and worth your time to teach your helper the basics of the DIAD. Unlike menotyou, I think that it works best when both you and the helper are delivering, especially when you only have him for a few hours. As BBH said, we are used to working alone, so having to work with someone else can be an adjustment.

Pacman

Using a helper properly can make your peak a non event. Using a helper as a runner is inefficient and shows the lack of organizational skills by the driver. There will be some times when the helper is out and the driver is setting up stops but the majority of the time both driver and helper should be delivering. Be a little inventive and you can find all kinds of ways to expedite the day. Residential stops have always been earmarked for helper teams but small town downtowns getting blown off early save time for those residential deliveries too spread out for efficient helpers use besides the runner type.

UPSGUY72

I use them as a runner I very seldom get out of the car unless there are multiple stops (ie two across the street from each other, etc). I have tried to sort when they are delivering but I find it easier to just pull over once you have the 1000 and 2000 sections clear and sort the next 40 or so stops then when they are delivering I just reach in the back and get he next stop or stops in the cab ready to be delivered.

I also use the helpers DIAD for the number of stops that is required to be in it each day then stick it in the back of the car unless your helper knows how to use the DIAD, its just a waste of time trying to figure out what they messed up and to fix it.

menotyou

bella amicizia
My helper works the metro so has to be off the car by 1500. He knows how to use the DIAD which is a big help. It's not that hard and worth your time to teach your helper the basics of the DIAD. Unlike menotyou, I think that it works best when both you and the helper are delivering, especially when you only have him for a few hours. As BBH said, we are used to working alone, so having to work with someone else can be an adjustment.
I notice you bypassed a whole bunch that said the same as me, in some lame attempt to call me out. Considering I work a mostly rural route, hunt-dog-hunt. Of course, that is how my on-car trained me. I bet he can explain it to your center manager when he's working at my center while you end up with, what? Oh, the possibilities!

old levi's

blank space
I use them as a runner I very seldom get out of the car unless there are multiple stops (ie two across the street from each other, etc). I have tried to sort when they are delivering but I find it easier to just pull over once you have the 1000 and 2000 sections clear and sort the next 40 or so stops then when they are delivering I just reach in the back and get he next stop or stops in the cab ready to be delivered.

I also use the helpers DIAD for the number of stops that is required to be in it each day then stick it in the back of the car unless your helper knows how to use the DIAD, its just a waste of time trying to figure out what they messed up and to fix it.

I had a helper get so lost in the DIAD I had a hard time trying to back out of it.

Northshoredriver

They may break you in first if its your first peak. They did that for me but all centers are different. They i got slammed and didn't even get a helper on my busiest day with 196 stops. make sure you grab the next three stops and bring them up into the cab. if theres long driveways don't go up them make him walk and you sort your load. Good luck

rod

Retired 22 years
The hardest part about having a new helper is giving them their 1st pay check and witnessing the look of utter disappointment on their face when they see what their take home pay actually is.

Brandon

I'm a loader and either a helper or golf-cart driver during peak. I had a helper on my golf-cart last year. I feel the drivers job is to drive and find the next package and the helpers job is to run and complete the stop. When I help I always run on residential stops and at least walk like a 'man on a mission' on business stops. That's what I did when I had a helper on my golf-cart. If the helper is also a pre-loader, or capable of simple tasks, you should get him or her to organize and move the packages to one or two-thousand section, or whatever section in which you prefer them.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This will be the 4th Peak with the same helper. He is very comfortable with the DIAD and I have no problem letting him deliver one medical office complex by himself while I deliver the other. It is not that hard to teach your helper the basic functions of the DIAD.

No one has mentioned lunch yet. My helper has to be off the car by 1500 as he works the metro. He normally starts at 0930 which means we have 5.5 hours or less to get as much done as we can before I drop him off on area. Why would I take 45 minutes out of the 5.5 hours to sit down and eat? He actually prefers to wait until I drop him off to eat and I normally eat when I drive so it works out well for both of us.

To compensate him for all of his hard work I take him out to lunch on our last day and give him a $50 tip.