How far would you go to save the life of a pet?

How far would you go to save the life of a pet?

• I have no opinion.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We had a very sad story that brought about a debate as to how far people would go to save the life of a pet. An 8 month old puppy was hit by a car and dragged for several miles, resulting in horrific injuries. The family decided to do all that they could to save the dog's life. The dog is slowly healing and is expected to make a full recovery but the family had to take a loan to pay the $10,000 veterinarian bills. The sad part is had the dog been on a leash none of this would have happened.

As cold-hearted as this may sound, I would have put the animal down as, in my opinion, the life of an animal is not worth that kind of money. Put the animal out of it's misery and when you are up for it go to a local shelter and find a new family pet.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I would be that person who would spend $10,000 on a pet. My dog was hit because of my own failings and I spent $7,000.
It depends on your opinion of animals, I guess. No offense meant to anyone. I would outlaw the Amish religion, if I could.
There are amazing studies done on the abilities animals have that most people would call crazy. I am not one of them.

Personally, I find I would like an animal that would bite before a person who would pretend to be nice to me.

moreluck

golden ticket member
We've had 2 different schnauzers in our life and both got cancer. Chemo and all types of treatment were available for them. Our vet said that the treatment is very expensive and that it would buy us maybe 6 months more in lifespan. Our dogs were 13 and 14 and we had them put down when they started showing signs of being uncomfortable. We spoiled them both for the end of their lives and stayed with them 'til the end.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
You all make good points. I spoil mine their entire lives, give them the best care I can. Spend the money if it will give them quality time. When they are older and you see they are uncomfortable, something that gave you so much joy, you must put them to sleep, they deserve to be rescued from pain. But a pup I adopted, needing surgery at 8 months, because of my error in judgement...Id be in debt also. Id save him.
It all depends on how you value animal life, and thats just how I value it.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Have spent a few grand on dogs and cats vet bills through the years. Sure I wish it could've been done for less, but no I would not change a thing.

curiousbrain

As a matter of personal belief, it is very similar to the way in which I value a human being with a terminal (or extremely debilitating) illness of some kind - it is a quality of life issue. To that, let me use the word "entity" to define some kind of biological whose life I value - as you would a beloved pet, significant other, etc.

If the entities expected life span is very short, even with expensive treatment, then I would probably not incur the expense. On the other hand, if the expected life span is considerable (whatever that may mean) with treatment, I would most certainly incur the expense.

Somewhat pragmatically (and perhaps callously), I expect my dollar bills to translate into time and comfort for the entity in question - I suppose that is part of the selfishness of me as a person. If the time/comfort quotient is not met to my satisfaction, I would look to have the entity pass as peacefully as possible.

And, let me point out in a preemptive defense, that I would expect the same analysis to be done if I had a horrific illness (or equivalent condition).

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Everyones animals are the absolute best to that person. My kids jokingly? I hope say I baby and love them too much. Well at this point in my life 90% of my free time is spent with them, and they go EVERYWHERE I go. 10,000 would put most everyone in a bind, but I kind of evaluate it like brown baggin does. My collie was 13 and had an awful infection, and I spent thousands, until one day, I came home and he was blind, we were moving in 3 weeks, and he was peeing all over uncontrolably. Thats when I knew it was his time. And I did what I had to do. He was scared, and he had given me so much unconditional love in his time, I had to do what was right for him, at the cost of debilitating grief on my part.

On a more controversial point, I would want the people who love me to make that same decision for me if I became terminal and no longer enjoying my existence.

http://www.facebook.com/?sk=lf#!/pages/Mekahs-Angels/134044903324625

I just had a friend on facebook who went through the same thing, she makes little money, is all alone and has a heart of gold. Her dog got loose and got hit. While I told her she needs to curb the manner in which her dog behaves, such as crowding at the door, when people come in, albeit the dog is a little more unruly than mine would be, I told her how to help train it to stop that behavior. I knew she would find a way to keep it, and she did. She has bake sales, and got many donations from animal lovers on facebook. But she would have went in debt anyway.

Last edited:

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
We don't see our cats as expendable or replaceable and "If they're broke just put'em down and go get a new one from the shelter" is a thought process that I can't begin to get my head around. One of them has cost us about 3 grand total for various issues and we never blinked an eye or thought twice about the cost, I can honestly say that our only concern was that he was getting the best treatment possible. He's in good health now and should be around for quite a while (this wasn't a case of just giving him 6 more months to live).
I guess other people view companion animals differently, but for us they are members of our family and we value them as such. I'll drop 3 grand on a vacation package, and our cats are certainly worth more than a week on a cruise ship.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I agree Jones, Im not a cat person, my love is dogs and horses, but a pet is a pet. And I have friends who feel the same, its about family.

I can say somewhat shamefully, that losing a parent or a brother or sis is traumatic, and yes the relationship is tons deeper, but you have got away from seeing them every day. When you lose a pet who has met you at the door, or sat in your lap the minute you get home for years; Who hears your car coming from 1/2 mile a way. That loss is deep and takes time to recover. That is unabashed love

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I'd like to thank everyone for their responses.

I have a cat. His name is Rowdy. I got him from a friend of mine who worked at the vet's office on my area a couple of years ago. He is an indoor/outdoor cat. If he is outside he will come to the front door if he hears the pkg car or if I whistle. Yes, I said whistle--just like you would for a dog. I whistle--he comes running. He likes to jump on the bed when I am watching TV before I go to sleep. He has the run of the house. He is a very healthy cat (15.3 lbs).

That being said, if anything were to happen to Rowdy, I would ask that he be made as comfortable as possible but would not do anything beyond the basics. When I was ready I would go to the shelter and adopt a new cat.

Jones said he could not wrap his head around such a concept. This "concept" is the result of how I was raised and the role pets played in our household.

BTW, I would love to have a dog but dogs, condos and the hours that we work don't go well together.

Dave

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I am a dog person, my dogs are my babies and I love them dearly....but spending $10,000 on surgery for a dog (or any pet) is not justifiable. I am more than willing to make personal sacrifices in order to provide quality medical care for my dog, but when we are talking about 10 grand its time to let it go. The sad reality of pet ownership is that no matter what we do, we outlive them.

curiousbrain

Jones said he could not wrap his head around such a concept. This "concept" is the result of how I was raised and the role pets played in our household.[...]

I can identify with that outlook; I have friends who look at the way I dote on my dog and shake their head.

And don't misunderstand me, either - I have limits; some of the things you hear about the wealthy doing for their pets I find ... disagreeable - not least of all because people are still suffering, but we can buy a dog his own house or what not. That, I don't particularly understand.

[...]The sad reality of pet ownership is that no matter what we do, we outlive them.

I have an acquaintance who occasionally refers to her pets as "my little tragedies" for pretty much that reason.