How long after background check is usually your first day?

somebodiesgot

Also, is there anyone who could potentially tell me if getting help with going to school through the UPS earn and learn program is easy or if they make it a P.I.T.A?

J

jibbs

As long as you have the cash upfront to pay for your classes and then pass those friend*ers, it should be pretty simple after you qualify and talk to your management about it.

UPS'll reimburse up to $1500 per semester/$3000 per year, I believe, with a lifetime max of $20,000. For your first semester, though, you're going to have to rely on your own money to get you started, and once you prove yourself successful you'll be getting that reimbursement that you can just recycle into next semesters' classes and books every semester.

somebodiesgot

Good to know, thanks jibbs. I'm just about done my 2 year program and will be getting ready to start the 4 year after this semester so it is just good to know. I just want to work already :x

J

jibbs

Yeah, no problem. $1,500 a semester'll be like a drop in the bucket at most 4 year schools but hey, man, every little bit helps.

I noticed when I started that the Earn and Learn program is more ideal for community colleges than anything else if you want it to come close to fully covering the costs. Like I said, though, every little bit.

somebodiesgot

Yeah it would have been perfect for the past year or so basically covering everything, but I'll take what I can get. Since you mentioned a second interview, the fact that I didn't have one just makes me wonder if they're in more need for employees at my local terminal or what.

J

jibbs

I couldn't say. The most obvious answer is that they go about the hiring process differently where I am than where you've applied/been hired at, but for all I know it could be something a little deeper than that.

...Yeah... I'm probably not the best to answer that one.

somebodiesgot

10 bucks an hour, part time... put in some more applications
It's actually more than that, but the other offers on the table don't quite suffice compared to this one unfortunately. The hours/pay is perfect for what I need. I just hope that they actually call next week. From what I'm reading it doesn't seem necessarily true.

And jibbs, thanks again for your response. It's just weird because I haven't seen much people get hired in the same way from what I've read online.