How long does it take to become a driver?

bebahloo

My husband has been working for UPS for 4 1/2 years as a part-time package loader at night. He has been waiting for an opening to come up to become a driver and is ready to give up because he is exhausted. He works about 55 hours a week at his day job and then goes to UPS. Does anyone know how long it takes to become a driver? Also, if you are in one local union can you go to another and still get the same pay rate even if its still the same company just a different union?We are even considering moving to another part of the state were its cheaper to live. Any advice would be greatly apprecieted:)

Cementups

Box Monkey
As long as he is signing the bids to become a driver that is relaly the most he can do and wait his turn. If you are planning on moving and he wants to continue to work at UPS eh will have to quit and get rehired at the new facility adn lose his seniority as well. He shuld be able to have the first place put in a good recommendation for him to get a job at the new place as long as he is on good terms when he leaves. he would also have to start over in the pay scale as well.

If it were easy to transfer, everyone would live in South Carolina I bet.

wakyzachy

I am the IRS for UPS!
It depends where you are. In my hub in Jersey, as soon as you turn 21 they call you up and ask you if you want to go driving. 4 years is a long enough waite to drive. it just depends on when a job opens up too. Call HR every day and bug them. Usually if the area cost less to live in then the pay will be less too, but not by too much. Its pretty tough to transfer, they usually only do it for college students. And if you do get to transfer he might loose his senority or he might not. Also tell him to make good friends with the drivers they might be able to help him. Its a who you know deal too. :wink:

Channahon

It depends where you are. In my hub in Jersey, as soon as you turn 21 they call you up and ask you if you want to go driving. 4 years is a long enough waite to drive. it just depends on when a job opens up too. Call HR every day and bug them. Usually if the area cost less to live in then the pay will be less too, but not by too much. Its pretty tough to transfer, they usually only do it for college students. And if you do get to transfer he might loose his senority or he might not. Also tell him to make good friends with the drivers they might be able to help him. Its a who you know deal too. :wink:
Are the bid sheets not based on seniority when going from part time to full time?

Overpaid Union Thug

My husband has been working for UPS for 4 1/2 years as a part-time package loader at night. He has been waiting for an opening to come up to become a driver and is ready to give up because he is exhausted. He works about 55 hours a week at his day job and then goes to UPS. Does anyone know how long it takes to become a driver? Also, if you are in one local union can you go to another and still get the same pay rate even if its still the same company just a different union?We are even considering moving to another part of the state were its cheaper to live. Any advice would be greatly apprecieted:)

If he is in a hub the typical wait time just to become a part-time cover driver (they fill in for drivers when there aren't enough full-timers available because of vacations) is between 7-10 years and even longer to go full-time. It varies from area to area. In the smaller buildings he could be a p/t cover driver in no time. The wait time for full-time at the smaller buildings is usually much less than in the big hubs. I've heard as little as 3 years and as much as 7. The key is signing the bid sheets and keeping a good driving record.

helenofcalifornia

Depends if you work in a hub or a center on how fast you will go driving. I had to wait 8 years and was also working another full time job with all the requisite family obligations as well. I am glad I waited. It sounds like your husband is getting impatient. His management people should be able to tell him how long he will have to wait.

old levi's

blank space
Varies depending on location. Here, 13 years (not a misprint).
Then you will swing drive (read nightmare) for at least 10 years.
Then if you have anything left you may get a bid route

Fredless

APWA Hater
In my hub, it took me 2 years of seniority before they asked me to be a full time driver, as soon as a turned 21 really. I started working for UPS when I was 19. I'm also in a large hub and the population has been exploding for a while now.

wakyzachy

I am the IRS for UPS!
RE: Are the bid sheets not based on seniority when going from part time to full time?

Yea there are bid sheets, but we just have so so many freackin routs, we just cant fill them all. Yeall come to Jersey and help us out. Oh FYY its like this because we help out Philadelphia, Atlantic City, and New York City hubs. Some guys drive an hour or so just to get to their route. Of course there are hubs in between but they really dont have full acess to UPS's Philadelphia Air hub.

W

westsideworma

If he is in a hub the typical wait time just to become a part-time cover driver (they fill in for drivers when there aren't enough full-timers available because of vacations) is between 7-10 years and even longer to go full-time. It varies from area to area. In the smaller buildings he could be a p/t cover driver in no time. The wait time for full-time at the smaller buildings is usually much less than in the big hubs. I've heard as little as 3 years and as much as 7. The key is signing the bid sheets and keeping a good driving record.

most get a chance during the year they sign they sign the 6-1 sheet.....we go through them fast here. Thats for cover driver, not a bid route. After a year or two of that you generally get a route.

motion

The time that it takes to go from part time to driver appears to vary widely from location to location. Is it possible for an outsider that would like to be a driver to find out how long the wait is at different location? I am in a position where I could move to one of several locations. Thanks for any replies.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
I've always wondered about the same question. Reading the different length in times in different regions of the country is interesting. The one thing that I keep wondering about, in our hub the great majority of drivers are mid-late 20s and early 30s, but wait time does seem to be longer than 3 years.

Would anybody have any advice to a prospective female driver? I was told that a seasonal driving position will be opening up in the next couple of weeks, and was asked if I was interested in it. Of course I am, but I am not sure what I'm getting myself into. I have been driving commercial vehicles in the past on the road, driving and loading 10-12 hours a day, six days a week. Also have a couple of college degrees. As I understood, seasonal driving position lasts from May thru September/October. What happens afterwards? Will I be laid off, sent home until next spring, etc? Any advice would be great. I am also hoping Diadlover might responde....I've been reading posts from different members for a month or so....he is hillarious. (Not that a lot of you aren't!!) :tongue_sm THANK YOU AGAIN!!

SmithBarney

6 months to full time.
behind me were 6-10 off the street hires(of which 3-4 stuck around)

I believe we had UPS's highest turnover rate in the country

Mostly due to inept managment decisions.

We were in an area that has grown roughly 25-40% in the last 10 years
and UPS only added 1-2 routes(from 26 to 28) most of the regional growth
is in outlying areas.

MR_Vengeance

United Parcel Survivor

tell him to cut the hours off his day job and stick with UPS for another year or two and see what happens from there. do you work btw? sounds like he's gonna work to death with all those hours, maybe you can help him lighten the load?

tjb

At my center its generally about 2-3 years.It use to be 7-8 years on average but with all the baby boomers retiring its much less now.Last year two pre-loaders got on as full time drivers after only 6 months,which is unheard of.However they were both laid-off after peak.They were put back on full time after a couple of months of being laid-off.

vin

As I understood, seasonal driving position lasts from May thru September/October. What happens afterwards? Will I be laid off, sent home until next spring, etc? Any advice would be great. :tongue_sm THANK YOU AGAIN!!

If they don't need you after the seasonal period is over, you go back to part time doing whatever you were doing before.