How long is the hiring process?

brady

Hello everyone. I am a new to the board and I love the forums here, great site. I am trying to get a job as a preloader and I went through the application process had an interview on 6/25 went well, actually had two in a row. The sup told me they were going to do a background check, how long does that normally take? Also, on the application on UPS.com it says it is now active instead of on file, what does that mean? Thanks for your help.

jugbutt2

Hey Brady - I did the hiring in the Gulf South a few years back. We tried to keep a few folks at the ready before they were needed. Usually a couple of weeks or so. It only took me a coupl of days to do background checks, etc. It shouldn't be long, depending on the need at the local facility. Good luck!

brady

It's now been 11 days since my interview and was told to call them today, so I called them and she told me to call back Monday because she has to e-mail someone to get my background check results. Is this about normal? Do they just want to see how bad I want the job? Thanks for everyone's comments.

jugbutt2

Brady - I'd just be sure to give her a call back on Monday, and every few days until you are on the payroll. I always had too much else to be doing to be testing someone to see how bad they wanted the job. She probably just doesn't have the check back, or doesn't have an approved employment req to start a new hire just yet. Good luck!

DTPGSXR

Hi

I have already gone through what seems like the only interview. After being interviewed by two managers I signed a "contract" "promising" me the position if everything goes well. That same day I took the drug test and the physical the next day for a courier position. One of the managers informed me that he was going on vacation for two weeks and that they would get to me within two weeks. The HR lady told me otherwise, that she would be contacting me within two days. A week and a half went by and (on a Wed.) I spoke with HR regarding my status. She said that they still haven't received my background check and that once they do I should be "good to go." I called the following Wed. and left a message. Again I called the following Wed.and was informed that the HR lady was on vacation so I left another message. Keep in mind I've been dealing with the same HR person. I've done research on the hiring process and the majority agree that its lengthy. My question is should I continue calling once a week (tomorrow, Wed) or STOP so that I won't become a nuisance. If you do recommend the weekly call should I speak with one of the interviewing managers or stay with HR? I would greatly appreciate you help.

DTPGSXR

Hi

I have already gone through what seems like the only interview. After being interviewed by two managers I signed a "contract" "promising" me the position if everything goes well. That same day I took the drug test and the physical the next day for a courier position. One of the managers informed me that he was going on vacation for two weeks and that they would get to me within two weeks. The HR lady told me otherwise, that she would be contacting me within two days. A week and a half went by and (on a Wed.) I spoke with HR regarding my status. She said that they still haven't received my background check and that once they do I should be "good to go." I called the following Wed. and left a message. Again I called the following Wed.and was informed that the HR lady was on vacation so I left another message. Keep in mind I've been dealing with the same HR person. I've done research on the hiring process and the majority agree that its lengthy. My question is should I continue calling once a week (tomorrow, Wed) or STOP so that I won't become a nuisance. If you do recommend the weekly call should I speak with one of the interviewing managers or stay with HR? I would greatly appreciate your help.