HOW LONG?

'Lord Brown's bidding'

I loaded for one year before I became a driver. First, I got good at my job as a preloader. I was friendly with my managers and supervisors. I let be known I was interested in being a driver. And I offered to go out as a helper when needed, like after a snowstorm backed up the work or during an extra heavy volume day during the summer, which enabled me to become proficient at using a diad. I didn't know how to drive a stick, but since I was on very good terms with my preload supervisor, manager, and center manager I was given lessons by the boxline supervisor or center manager after the cars had left the building, and any "fires" had been put down. I may have had to wait 45-90 mins after the cars left for the opportunity. Eventually everything came together.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Been a driver for about 7 years in Bristol, England.Went to the local centre got an application form filled it in,went for an interview,then went for a job view and was told I had the job.The whole process took just under a month.

If they would have told me I had to be a part time loader and wait months, years to be a driver I would have told them where to go.

The job isn`t that great or worth waiting for I can assure you.

Drivers in the US get paid a whole lot more than you.
For a person with a high school degree to get a job that pays 70,000 - 90,000 USD per year with medical benefits, pension, it is indeed worth the wait. That is especially true if the person does not live in a big city or California where the cost of living is much higher.

AKCoverMan

Bristol what is scale pay for a FT driver in UK? Here in Alaska we make roughly 21pounds per hour with time and a half after 8 hours.

HomeDelivery

when I heard it took so many years to climb up to the driver level, I left as a package handler & went to the purple side instead...

walked in, fill out the application, DOT health test, went through 1 week of driving course & a few days on the scanner/package side & was on the road immediately for the peak season.

old levi's

blank space
Drivers in the US get paid a whole lot more than you.
For a person with a high school degree to get a job that pays 70,000 - 90,000 USD per year with medical benefits, pension, it is indeed worth the wait. That is especially true if the person does not live in a big city or California where the cost of living is much higher.

The pension part is looking very troublesome.

yeldarb

The pension part is looking very troublesome.

Anyone that places retirement solely on the shoulders of a pension is taking their chances anyways. 30 bucks an hour, 45 bucks OT, one should be able to save enough on the side for retirement. Live WELL below your means, and save what you can. Especially for the upcoming contract. UPS has many investment options through their 401k. I was doing the standard one for about 10 years, then started dumping 16% into the Roth 401k when that became available. Not many jobs offer that kind of opportunity to save after health insurance, pay, etc.

gostillerz

Anyone that places retirement solely on the shoulders of a pension is taking their chances anyways. 30 bucks an hour, 45 bucks OT, one should be able to save enough on the side for retirement. Live WELL below your means, and save what you can. Especially for the upcoming contract. UPS has many investment options through their 401k. I was doing the standard one for about 10 years, then started dumping 16% into the Roth 401k when that became available. Not many jobs offer that kind of opportunity to save after health insurance, pay, etc.

That's what drives me nuts. We have 4 guys who started between 1973-75. They won't retire. They complain about their 401k getting hit. They still get a hell of a pension and social security, and around here the cost of living is VERY low. If you're broke making top rate for almost 40 years, you are bad with money. None of them even have nice houses or cars. 3 are single, 1 is paying for his daughter's college tuition.