How many different models of package cars are there?

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
3- Oddly Designed. (Poor back lighting, bad dash design, etc)
One of the trucks I drive is a workhorse 500 where the steering wheel blocks the whole dash display. Can't see the speedometer etc. Poor design but love that little truck. You can turn around in any driveway.

Sent from Nexus 7 using BrownCafe mobile app

Xexys

Retired and Happy
I was once told that UPS gives the contract to the lowest bidder every time they need new package cars. This accounts for so many different makers.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I was once told that UPS gives the contract to the lowest bidder every time they need new package cars. This accounts for so many different makers.
When I was involved in the car order for the US back in the 90's, the analysis of which vendor to select was based on the total cost which included mechanic training, parts stocking, gas mileage, etc. as well as the cost of the car order.
But indeed, cost determine the vendor selected.

jim_flint

One of the trucks I drive is a workhorse 500 where the steering wheel blocks the whole dash display. Can't see the speedometer etc. Poor design but love that little truck. You can turn around in any driveway.

When I have to drive one of those, I drop the steering wheel down into my lap for the trip to and from the building, when I most need the speedo, then up into the usual position on area so I can get in and out of the seat smoothly.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian

But you can change the color of the backlight and tilt the steering wheel.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
When I was involved in the car order for the US back in the 90's, the analysis of which vendor to select was based on the total cost which included mechanic training, parts stocking, gas mileage, etc. as well as the cost of the car order.
But indeed, cost determine the vendor selected.
Eh? Training? We don't get that until maybe a year after the equipment is already in service, if at all.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Models always assumed perfection ... not reality.
Ask the drivers about time studies. LOL

Your new avatar looks like Captain Kangaroo.

capt.jpg

'Lord Brown's bidding'

Reduced Engine Power

Causes truck to go no faster than 10 miles an hour, until it kicks into 2nd gear after 3 mins, in which case it will almost make 20 mph. What is it? In addition, the lights on my car flicker while I am driving down the highway, and if I close the door or something heavy falls in the back, the hydraulic brake assist kicks in-the whine one hears when they put their foot on the brake pedal-and the tail lights come on, all with the car off and I may be away delivering a package. I've seen the flickering lights on a couple other package cars, and even on some other non-UPS delivery trucks as well.

What's up with these things? Brown Mechanic, other mechanics?