How many jobs do YOU do?!!....

Do you get sales leads? If so.....you are a Account Rep
Do you have to finish loading your vehicle in the A.M.? If so...you are a loader
Do you have to gas up sometimes in the morning? If so....you are car wash
Do you have to resort your load while delivering? If so...you are a sorter
Do you have to call other drivers to make meets points,etc? If so...you are a dispatch supervisor
Do you have to bag and unload your smalls at the end of your shift? If so....you are an unloader
Do you do all of these things? If so.... YOU ARE A DRIVER!:greedy:

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
What I really am....is a janitor. I clean up the messes that IE and Operations Management make every day. The only frustrating part is that they are completely oblivious to those messes, so they always want to know why I am spending so much of their valuable time pushing a mop around.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Do you have to finish loading your vehicle in the A.M.? If so...you are a loader
Do you have to call other drivers to make meets points,etc? If so...you are a dispatch supervisor
Do you have to bag and unload your smalls at the end of your shift? If so....you are an unloader
Kudos!
That's the best description of a UPS Driver I have seen.

browniehound

I think you only scratched the service here, but I like your post to start with. On top of those jobs, we have to do our own job that includes too much to list here but we all know what they are.

BrownArmy

I was thinking about this exact thing today...misload meets, breaking trace to deliver that one address that our system JUST CANT GET RIGHT (you got it, NDA, two routes over, not in EDD...cheers!), resorting my entire load (at least the individual sections were on the right shelf, other than that, I think the 'chaos' theory applies here), etc. etc.

It's like this (to some extent) every day.

It's hard not to giggle when I'm questioned about the 'numbers'.

Seriously?

Re-Raise

What about mechanic? I couldn't tell you how many things I have had to fix on my package car while the mechanic at the center talked me through it on the cell phone.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
What about mechanic? I couldn't tell you how many things I have had to fix on my package car while the mechanic at the center talked me through it on the cell phone.

+1 I have replaced headlights, I have replaced flasher modules that went kaplooey, and one time I jury-rigged a quick fix to a faulty brake-light switch by taping three nickels and a popsicle stick to the top of the brake pedal arm. Macgyver aint got nothin' on me!

bigbrownhen

We(the drivers) are the last line of defense for customer service. Yes, we fix other peoples screw ups daily when possible. If it takes a little more time and effort to get the package to it's destination...so be it. You can nag and nit pick all you want, bottom line, if it wasn't for the extra effort the drivers put in to make sure the job is done, we would all be out of work and not due to the current economy. IMO

I don't mean to sound pompous. I try to understand the difficulties of the other jobs at UPS, there are many for each position. It just gets old to be percieved as spoiled, overpaid slackers by other co-workers or customers.

We(the drivers) are the last line of defense for customer service. Yes, we fix other peoples screw ups daily when possible. If it takes a little more time and effort to get the package to it's destination...so be it. You can nag and nit pick all you want, bottom line, if it wasn't for the extra effort the drivers put in to make sure the job is done, we would all be out of work and not due to the current economy. IMO

I don't mean to sound pompous. I try to understand the difficulties of the other jobs at UPS, there are many for each position. It just gets old to be percieved as spoiled, overpaid slackers by other co-workers or customers.

yeah well,IMO(which is the only one that matters to ME) ...if my paycheck doesnt reflect the other 6 jobs they want me to do,I aint doin 'em...plain and simple

LOL...they tried that with me once....I asked them to hold on a minute....put the cell phone down....made some banging noises for 30 seconds or so...and said nah,thats not working,youre gonna need to come out here!