How Many UPS'ers Have Side Business'?

Brownnblue

I invented/created a board game that I have been using for about 15 years to teach a Sunday School class in my church. The kids really seem to love it; I even have kids come back from college and want to sit in and play with the 10 year olds. When I retire or when the managerial wheel of termination lands on my name, I am going to pursue getting it marketed.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
We used to have a driver (retired now) who allegedly sold weapons out of the trunk of his car. He was legal at the time, he had a federal license and sold AK-47s and M-16s. He had to stop back when Clinton was president, some laws changed about you had to have an actual building address so the Feds could check records.......

We also had a Part-time Supervisor that used to do the same. His story was a little different, and he is no longer employed here. He "found" about 140 to 160 pistols that weren't his and redistributed them all over town. Nice guns, not going to mention the brand, but they have a lot of composite parts and are favored by law enforcement agencies. He didn't have an ATF license, last I heard, he probably was making license plates and wearing colorful orange clothing.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Yes selling on ebay is easy, but I have heard the fees were high,now, its been awhile. I kinda got burned out when I listed a boat and got a bogus buyer. Although I got my final value fee back, I didnt get my listing fee back, and If I had ran it again, and got a bogus buyer again..I would have then been out 100 bucks instead of 50. Its a 1200 dollar boat. Actually the motor is what sells not the boat anyway. So if I listed it as a motor, with a free boat I guess I could have got around the 50 dollar listing, but I just kept it.
Everything I buy I usually get off ebay, plants, home decor, bike parts, boat parts, etc. Its easier to look on their for the collector piece you need, than to comb yard sales for goodies, although Ive often done that and came home with the motherlode and listed and sold immediately. Its great if you have the extra time, and UPS pick up is easy and cheap as is usps. I always have the option of paying by paypal, so the money is in the account, and you can print your labels for shipping and it comes right out of it, so its easy to keep your monies separate. You always specify that they pay the shipping. If you put in weight size etc, on your selling page, a buyer can calculate his cost before he buys.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I think the shipping charges are where the sellers make their money. I saw a shipping charge of $15 on an item that will go in an envelope USPS for about $.75. And, if by chance they have hundreds of these items to sell, it's a $9.25 profit on each.....less the listing fee & such.

Cementups

Box Monkey
It is easy but frustrating. Their fees border on extortion. You have to pay a listing fee even if it doesn't sell. Then a final value fee off the final selling price.

Not extortion at all. They are providng a service and you should pay for such service. Cosignment shops are teh same way. If you don't like their methods, start your own service.

I think the shipping charges are where the sellers make their money. I saw a shipping charge of $15 on an item that will go in an envelope USPS for about $.75. And, if by chance they have hundreds of these items to sell, it's a $9.25 profit on each.....less the listing fee & such.

There are more cost tthen just what the USPS charges you to ship the package. The seller also needs to pay for the packaging and the billing time required to package said item. The seller alot of time also has to pay for gas to get to and from teh Post Office as well as vehicle maintenance. What if he has an employee that does all this for him? He has to payhe employee and insrance for said employee.
I used to get upset about rediculous S/H fees until I did the math

Lobofan5

Not extortion at all. They are providng a service and you should pay for such service. Cosignment shops are teh same way. If you don't like their methods, start your own service.

There are more cost tthen just what the USPS charges you to ship the package. The seller also needs to pay for the packaging and the billing time required to package said item. The seller alot of time also has to pay for gas to get to and from teh Post Office as well as vehicle maintenance. What if he has an employee that does all this for him? He has to payhe employee and insrance for said employee.
I used to get upset about rediculous S/H fees until I did the math

That argument holds water UNTIL you get the box.

Provided free by USPS. (priority package)
With actual postage price paid on it..

and the seller has jacked the shipping up more than double the actual cost..NO ones post office is THAT far away..if so they are in the wrong business.

I always determine the actual shipping charge before I will even bid on an item.

People can charge whatever they want..we don't have to fall for it.

2soon4me

When I list an item on Ebay I charge a flat rate. It's in black and white so bid if you like. The flat rate is set by calculating the most USPS or UPS would charge. If the guy down the road buys I make a little extra but if someone in Ca. buys at least I covered my cost.

Big Babooba

FRED GARVIN - Male Prostitute

Hey is for horses, young lady. No ifs, ands, or buts about it - you're spending the night with...Fred Garvin, Male Prostitute.

Last edited:

Google

I decided after the last strike that I would never keep all my eggs in one basket. I never wanted my families well being to be the solo support of UPS. After the strike I've built a small business thats both profitable and has a great amount of potential.

I can't coun't on UPS to always be there for me.

Big Babooba

I take advantage of that dark brown aluminum box.:sweatdrop I make a lot of $$$$ on the HOT summer days by selling pizzas that I have baking on the shelves of my package car.:chef: I have to keep the anchovies in a cooler though.