How much $ do you put in 401k?

FAVREFAN

I put in 0%. And here is why.....My wife's employer matches 25% so we contribute all of our alotment towards her 403b. Plus, she is 2 years older than me so..........59 1/2 will come 2 years sooner. Anyone care to argue the point that I contribute Zero % to my UPS 401K ?????? I'm looking for a fight.
Correct me if I am wrong here but I believe that the 59 1/2 rule is if you are still an active UPS employee. If you actually retire from UPS you can start receiving distributions at 55 1/2. So that is even earlier for you. There was a good point too about if anything happened to your marriage. 2 401's are better than 1.

FAVREFAN

To those of you you still have the UPS stock obsession.....Have any of you actually pulled up an 8-9 year chart? What are you doing?

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
INTERCEPTIONFAN, I ask myself why I continue to buy UPS stock. I guess because it's easy thru payroll deduction. You probably will never have to pay capital gains either!

tieguy

Banned
[/size][/b]

How many of you think that ups will start to deduct the amount we will get from social security from our pensions in a future contract. Wasnt this idea "floated around" during the latest talks? Is this legal? Doesnt seem very fair, we pay into social security and yes, so does ups but we should be able to get both amounts since we work the long hours.

This option is one that was heavily overstated by those afraid that ups would take over the teamster pensions. Under this option those who had not vested enough years to collect a full pension could boost up their pension payout until social security kicked in.

HazMatMan

I put in 0%. And here is why.....My wife's employer matches 25% so we contribute all of our alotment towards her 403b. Plus, she is 2 years older than me so..........59 1/2 will come 2 years sooner. Anyone care to argue the point that I contribute Zero % to my UPS 401K ?????? I'm looking for a fight.

Why would you look for a fight??? With all the money your wife got, seems like you don't need to work at all. :wink2:

satellitedriver

No fight here.
If your wife is cool with it, so am I.
A word of unbidden advice, watch the age thing when talking around your wife.
PAX

UPS Lifer

I started last January, and I'm 29 years old. I have put 60$ a week in on average, up to 2,600$. By 40 y/o my goal is $100,000.

You may want to re-think your goal. Right now (not counting a pension), you will need 1.5 to 2 million just to live at the same level you are accustomed to!

When I started UPS - a nice motor home was about $17K. Now you have to spend $100 to $200K!

Best recommendation I can give you is to max out your 401 K and invest in a diversified portfolio NOW! Don't wait - retirement comes quicker than you think!

Invest as if you can't count on a pension or Soc Sec ...this way you control your future.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

You may want to re-think your goal. Right now (not counting a pension), you will need 1.5 to 2 million just to live at the same level you are accustomed to!

When I started UPS - a nice motor home was about $17K. Now you have to spend $100 to $200K!

Best recommendation I can give you is to max out your 401 K and invest in a diversified portfolio NOW! Don't wait - retirement comes quicker than you think!

Invest as if you can't count on a pension or Soc Sec ...this way you control your future.

Thanks for the advice. Hopefully, I'll invest $100,00 by 2018. We'll see where the dollar is at then, and how much return over the next 10 years....

Honestly, 15/hr is not livable in the Boston area. $1,000/mo for a 1 bed/bath here! Progression ends this summer, then I'll really bump up the investing.

$2,700 first year is O.K. goal was $2,500.

Thanks again!

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Lifer, I drive a wobbly box for a living. I don't think I'll drop 200K on a vehicle to drive around in when I retire. That could buy alot of plane tickets and weeks in condos in sunny places. BM

raceanoncr

No fight here. You can do whatever you want. But think of this also:

Why not have TWO (2) tax-free deductions instead of ONE (1)? Wouldn't that help your tax burdon each year? I don't know about your 403b so maybe there are certain advantages but it would just seem to me, even if you think you're set, to have more tax breaks RIGHT NOW, and one of those is to have everyone in your house snatch as much $ as you can away from IRS.

I make much more $ than my wife but she is still in her own 401 at her place of employment. Sure, she doesn't contribute much or will ever get much out of it but, you know what, it helps my tax every year.

We also have our own Roth IRAs also. It will help on our taxes and retirement later on.

UPS Lifer

Lifer, I drive a wobbly box for a living. I don't think I'll drop 200K on a vehicle to drive around in when I retire. That could buy alot of plane tickets and weeks in condos in sunny places. BM

LOL! You got the right idea... My wife used to tell me, sell your investments if you want a motor home! I never did... THANK GOD! I hate it ...she is always right!!!

HazMatMan

No fight here. You can do whatever you want. But think of this also:

Why not have TWO (2) tax-free deductions instead of ONE (1)? Wouldn't that help your tax burdon each year? I don't know about your 403b so maybe there are certain advantages but it would just seem to me, even if you think you're set, to have more tax breaks RIGHT NOW, and one of those is to have everyone in your house snatch as much $ as you can away from IRS.

I make much more $ than my wife but she is still in her own 401 at her place of employment. Sure, she doesn't contribute much or will ever get much out of it but, you know what, it helps my tax every year.

We also have our own Roth IRAs also. It will help on our taxes and retirement later on.

I agree, why retire with one 401k when you could retire with 2. Doesn't make sense. But he lives in a free country he can do what he wants.

Coldworld

60 months and counting

What kind of job does your wife do, because a 25% match into a 401K is pretty unheard of in any industry. I have heard of employers matching up to 10% which is on the high end.