How much or what would it take,for you to go into management?

BrownArmy

My father, now retired, was a manager for a number of tech companies.

Early on in my career at UPS, he asked me why I didn't want to go into management.

I told him that his conception of 'management' (due to his experience being an actual manager) had little or nothing to do with 'management' at UPS.

It took four or five conversations, but I finally convinced him that the lower-level 'managers' at UPS aren't managers at all, they're more like 'administrators'.

He finally got it when I discussed the differing pay-packages.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
With less than 5 years to go it would make no sense to make the move at this point in my career.

Wait just a minute, possession of a valid driver's license and a high-school diploma does not constitute a career.

And, the way you talk, your management team doesn't do anything without consulting you first.

100K down
10k a month
1000 shares a year for 401K
10 year deal

In return, 10% growth a year. 100% growth in 2024. At the end of 10 years I will lay out new operational plans for the next 10 years including a new building in which will increase production by 15-20%.

Compensation for the next 10 years will be Double or nothing.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
If sups were allowed to have ANY kind of say into how the local operation works, I would consider it. I could clean house pretty fast (knowing how to catch/ and which drivers to catch being shady), and I think I'd be a good trainer. $90,000/year and not being on call all the time.

Wait just a minute, possession of a valid driver's license and a high-school diploma does not constitute a career.

And, the way you talk, your management team doesn't do anything without consulting you first.
True, Many careers don't even require a valid drivers license.

barnyard

KTM rider
I think the money my supes make would work for me. The key would be fewer hours. The supes in my building work more than 60 hours in a typical week. My long term goals are to work fewer hours, not more.

I think that I could be a very good fit in sales, possibly operations. I would certainly like to work smarter, not harder. Working fewer hours though is the only reason why I would do it though.

jetcat

I think going into management is kind of like joining a secret society. I have a hunch they are required to sign some sort of nondisclosure agreement ... but that in itself is secret also. The money can become great, but it seems like you really do have to sell your soul ??? That job seems to be a blend of learning covert hostile psychology tactics ... and ... being gifted at politics. If you could become good with these things ..... a person might do well.

What would it really take to make the jump? Hmmmmmm ..... $150,000 after taxes / a company car with a gas credit card / 8 weeks vacation a year / 12 floating holidays a year / 3 weeks sick leave per year that you could save if you did not use it ?????? Even then I might only do it for about 5 years ... just save the money and have an exit plan that DM does not even know about.

I think the money my supes make would work for me. The key would be fewer hours. The supes in my building work more than 60 hours in a typical week. My long term goals are to work fewer hours, not more.

I think that I could be a very good fit in sales, possibly operations. I would certainly like to work smarter, not harder. Working fewer hours though is the only reason why I would do it though.
Dispatch all drivers at 8.5 hrs...problem solved

VonDutch

Bite your tongue, Missy

There pay is often less than their drivers. Heck, my on-road Mgr makes less than I do. It would take a great deal more $.

I would have to be in one of the "My word is God" levels of management and then I would set out to put the company back on track and correct issues on both side of the company.

barnyard

KTM rider
Dispatch all drivers at 8.5 hrs...problem solved

I was 1 of the last ones in on Friday and my supe was still there. He had to have a plan for Saturday, including knowing how many Iphones were going out. My supe starts at 7a and is generally leaving about 6p, later if there are issues and there frequently are. With our current center manager, they very, very rarely leave early on Friday. With past CMs, supes were done at noon on Friday. I could get behind that.