How much work is enough?

How much work is enough

• Work as much as I can, I live at brown.

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • Anything up to 9.5 I'm good with

Votes: 21 55.3%
  • Work as little as I can, I like time off.

Votes: 9 23.7%

• Total voters

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
We have a morning OMS that works his 27 hours or so a week at UPS, and then he goes across the street and works at a gas station. The other night I stopped for gas and I asked him how many hours he worked a week counting both jobs. He said 92-100 hours every week. That's insane to me, he drives a BMW, Porsche Boxster, and an Avalanche. To each his own, I guess.

S

serenity now

We have a morning OMS that works his 27 hours or so a week at UPS, and then he goes across the street and works at a gas station. The other night I stopped for gas and I asked him how many hours he worked a week counting both jobs. He said 92-100 hours every week. That's insane to me, he drives a BMW, Porsche Boxster, and an Avalanche. To each his own, I guess.

yeah, but when does he drive them? at 4 am and 3 am when he goes to work and then returns home. :halfdead:

twoweeled

It's all about what works for you and yours. I do work the OT as much as I can (and it's becoming for difficult as I get older). I'm just as greedy as most others in feeder. However, if your one of those that's puts a priority on spending time with your family than making money - then that undoubtedly makes sense also. When looking from the outside, it really doesn't make much sense to spend your life working 5 days to enjoy 1 1/2 days, BUT YET I CONTINUE TO DO IT! :wornout:

Other jobs count against your 60 hours of driving.......hope he never gets in an accident!

JL 0513

I'm new here, but every driver I work with so far or talk to out of my center tells me they are are doing 10-12 hour days minimum, some are at 14 certain days and none of them seem to want it that way! .. why is this happening? Its one of the things that I really can't understand... when they have so many people ready and willing to drive, why are these guys being forced to do this?

The reason is $$$$$$. It is cheaper to pay overtime for fewer drivers than to pay benefits for more drivers. Of course service goes out the window when that happens but this is the "new improved" UPS.

I always found it difficult to see how such numbers add up for UPS. As expensive as benefits are (health and pension), a typical hour+ of OT everyday for each of many dozens of drivers for a center is a LOT of money. I would estimate that a typical center pays out like 75 hours of OT everyday. Based on a 60 driver force. 75 OT hours = 112.5 straight hours. 112.5 hours x 5 days = 562.5 hours a week. This equals 14 more drivers working 40 hours (yes, not considering benefit costs).

So to clarify, UPS is paying for 112.5 hours of labor and getting just 75 per day for a typical center. Never mind multiplying this across the entire company. Putting more drivers on they could get the actual labor hours they're paying for.

I would think there would be more of a middle ground to how much OT to give out vs. how much it costs to add a driver with benefits.

Let's look at it this way. If a center were to add just ONE driver working 9 hours a day. That driver in effect takes 9 OT hours away. Does it really costs UPS more to compensate a driver more that OT rate per hour counting benefits? Maybe it does, I'm just wondering. Do we all cost UPS more than $50/hr TOTAL to employ us? Wow.

OPTION3

I always found it difficult to see how such numbers add up for UPS. As expensive as benefits are (health and pension), a typical hour+ of OT everyday for each of many dozens of drivers for a center is a LOT of money. I would estimate that a typical center pays out like 75 hours of OT everyday. Based on a 60 driver force. 75 OT hours = 112.5 straight hours. 112.5 hours x 5 days = 562.5 hours a week. This equals 14 more drivers working 40 hours (yes, not considering benefit costs).

So to clarify, UPS is paying for 112.5 hours of labor and getting just 75 per day for a typical center. Never mind multiplying this across the entire company. Putting more drivers on they could get the actual labor hours they're paying for.

I would think there would be more of a middle ground to how much OT to give out vs. how much it costs to add a driver with benefits.

Let's look at it this way. If a center were to add just ONE driver working 9 hours a day. That driver in effect takes 9 OT hours away. Does it really costs UPS more to compensate a driver more that OT rate per hour counting benefits? Maybe it does, I'm just wondering. Do we all cost UPS more than $50/hr TOTAL to employ us? Wow.
NEVER get in a "numbers" argument with these BEAN COUNTERS…….on paper they can make the sky green and the grass blue…

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!

This wouldn't take 9 hours OT away as your added driver has an OT hour in your example. The issue is in the bennies. UPS pays an hourly charge of between $8 and $16 per hour (depending on which source you read) for every hour worked UP TO 8 HOURS in benefits. After 8 hours that charge disappears with regard to the pension cost. Note, this is my limited understanding of a complex issue. So from our perspective its like we are getting our straight pay while at the same time getting paid the equivalent of a second job in our first 8 hours. From the company's perspective, after the 8th hour labor costs remain unchanged (not paying the cost of bennies is offset by the higher OT hourly rate) but the cost in fuel and equipment plus maintaining (wear and tear) said equipment makes it a WIN for the company.

I think there may be other issues involved, hell I am sure of it. In the bean counter's world abstract things always play a role. The cost to provide insurance per employee is X. If you divide X by the 8 hours a driver works you get Y. If that employee works 10 hours instead of 8, Y becomes smaller. Multiply this by 100,000 drivers and we are talking millions and millions of dollars. I also think there is a statistic that says for every truck "out there" UPS can expect ____ number of accidents and ___ number of injuries. So in a twisted-tunnel vision way of seeing it, less trucks on the road would mean less injuries and accidents. twisted, just twisted I say. But I don't think this last plays a significant role as UPS posts Frequencies in relation to hours worked. But it is an example of how things could be viewed and measured.

MethodsMan

I dinged a guys doorbell last night 19:58 for him to sign for his Apple product. He said, to me, you're really late, you couldn't you just wait til Monday?

I smiled and said, you should file a complaint.

barnyard

KTM rider
I always found it difficult to see how such numbers add up for UPS. snip

You are missing lots of other numbers in your math. Benefits add up, package cars and the fuel to run them. Add a few more cars to the line up and you better have more preloaders.

Less cars are always cheaper than more.

You are missing lots of other numbers in your math. Benefits add up, package cars and the fuel to run them. Add a few more cars to the line up and you better have more preloaders.

Less cars are always cheaper than more.

Did you ever notice....................................................................................................................................................No matter how many routes they cut, they still have the same amount of Sups? Maybe they should cut a sup or three!

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Did you ever notice....................................................................................................................................................No matter how many routes they cut, they still have the same amount of Sups? Maybe they should cut a sup or three!
What...that might thin out the circle jerk!! lol