How old were you when you retired?

oldupsman

I was 55 with 32 years. All fulltime package car. I have an 80 year old neighbor. He retired at 55 also. When I was thinking about sticking around until 58 or so he told me don't do it, get out. Said he never regretted leaving at 55. He was right. I've never had any second thoughts. It's amazing how much you can find to do when you get your life back.

TechGrrl

Space Cadet
Well, the day that I have been waiting for has arrived--I just celebrated my 35 year anniversary. I thought I would be out the door immediately, but now I am having second thoughts, since I am only 57.

I retired at 57 in 2007; I said when UPS turned 100, I was gone. No regrets. Unlike some, I never had my whole sense of worth locked into my career, even though it was a good one.

Two friends of mine hung on, couldn't see themselves retiring; then they did, and discovered there is SOOOOO much life outside of UPS. They are busier than ever, having fun and enjoying life.

For anyone who thinks they would be bored after retiring, I have just one word for you: VOLUNTEER! Your local Red Cross will cry tears of joy to acquire a volunteer with a UPS career who wants to drive an ERV and help out at disasters. Your church probably needs your skills, or a local youth center, or Meals on Wheels, or an agency that helps elderly people get to doctor appointments and what not.

A UPS background is SO VALUABLE to so many charities that it is unlikely that you couldn't find something to interest you and keep you busy a couple days a week.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I was 55 with 32 years. All fulltime package car. I have an 80 year old neighbor. He retired at 55 also. When I was thinking about sticking around until 58 or so he told me don't do it, get out. Said he never regretted leaving at 55. He was right. I've never had any second thoughts. It's amazing how much you can find to do when you get your life back.
I would think everyone would want to retire as soon as financially possible. People sit back and plan like they know when the last day on earth for them will be. So many people we know have stayed longer to make that pension check a little bigger and then croak their first 6 months out.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I would think everyone would want to retire as soon as financially possible. People sit back and plan like they know when the last day on earth for them will be. So many people we know have stayed longer to make that pension check a little bigger and then croak their first 6 months out.

Not everybody hates their job.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
I have been in the same industry full time for almost 40 years started as a truck driver and now a department manager with a desk full of problems. My wife worked at UPS back then and the policy was not to hire relatives.Started work pt at Brown 14 years ago and enjoy my time there because it is hard work but care free except for the very occasional young obnoxious sup half my age.I have the oppurtunity for 1 more advancement ft to be a division manager of the most profitable part of the company but they may try and force me to leave UPS.The problem is the compesation is good but.....the desk is full of more problems and comes with a lage bottle of tylenol .I may play out the string where I am at, retire from full time and stay at brown for the bennies,fish ,play golf , work at a bait shop and smile.PS reviewed my investments this morning it may be a while LOL.:happy-very:

TREBOR462

I left UPS 12 years ago, at age 55 and 31 years, but I never retired, I just quit my job and moved on with life and never looked back! It was the best thing I ever did in regards to that company.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I left UPS 12 years ago, at age 55 and 31 years, but I never retired, I just quit my job and moved on with life and never looked back! It was the best thing I ever did in regards to that company.

What about your pension? Were your age and years of service enough for you to start drawing your pension right away or do you have to wait until you are 65? If you have to wait, did you get another job or were you smart with your finances while at UPS?

moreluck

golden ticket member
What about your pension? Were your age and years of service enough for you to start drawing your pension right away or do you have to wait until you are 65? If you have to wait, did you get another job or were you smart with your finances while at UPS?
We all know what 2000 was. Lots of folks left. Bob left at age 51 with 28 years service and started drawing a reduced pension at 55.

His work is golf !!

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
We all know what 2000 was. Lots of folks left. Bob left at age 51 with 28 years service and started drawing a reduced pension at 55.

His work is golf !!

Bob, being as high as a Division Manager throughout the big growth years, had to have a pretty substantial pile of UPS stock. That makes the decision to leave early a little easier. More power to him.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Still waiting for an answer...

Last edited by a moderator:

UPS Lifer

When UPS offered the 30 and out I was too young. I could not understand why anyone would want to retire at 50. HAHAHA! When I hit 50, I was ready.

This is such an individual decision there is no "right answer". The right answer is what ever you decide. I absolutely made a decision that I would not work one day longer than necessary. I started counting down at 45 years old....10 years before I could retire! I did everything I set out to do and never dreamt I would get the opportunities I had. I loved all the positions I had as non-management and management.

I was able to get married at 20 because of UPS and am still married to the love of my life at 60. I was a belt-boy, a hub man, a driver 5+ years, supervisor, managed 7 centers - 3 hubs, 2 departments, on senior staff and was one of the 1st Quality Managers. I had to petition Corporate for a title for my business cards the job was so new!

I found the place I wanted to spend my second half of life at 50 and then the countdown became more intense. I wanted to be in Sedona. We moved here full time the day I retired. I had countdown clocks and calendars EVERYWHERE! At work, at home, on all my computers!

CIMG3885.jpgCIMG3916.jpgCIMG3926.jpg
CIMG3885.jpg
CIMG3916.jpg
CIMG3926.jpg

I just think there is more to life than UPS. If you have put in your 30 or 35 years do something else with your life. You have topped out on retirement and there are guys/gals raising families that need the full-time opening who have been waiting far to long for the opportunity.

Retired on my 55th birthday, 3/10/12, (37 years of service) and had no plans to be around 1 minute longer. Will miss some of the folks but WILL NOT MISS the stress. Been out 7 months now and doc took me off BP medicine. Said "I guess UPS caused quite a bit of stress in your life". YA THINK?

pretender

Well, the day that I have been waiting for has arrived--I just celebrated my 35 year anniversary. I thought I would be out the door immediately, but now I am having second thoughts, since I am only 57.

Well, I pulled the trigger--I have 31 more working days to go!

CaptainObvious

I will be just a little shy of 56 with 35 years in. Counting the days down now. Be out before Dec. that's my Christmas present to myself.

Well, I pulled the trigger--I have 31 more working days to go!

Congrats to you both and well deserved.!!! Enjoy your new LIFE!!
No way I'm hanging around any longer than I have too. ....but that's still 7 years away :(

satellitedriver

When UPS offered the 30 and out I was too young. I could not understand why anyone would want to retire at 50. HAHAHA! When I hit 50, I was ready.

This is such an individual decision there is no "right answer". The right answer is what ever you decide. I absolutely made a decision that I would not work one day longer than necessary. I started counting down at 45 years old....10 years before I could retire! I did everything I set out to do and never dreamt I would get the opportunities I had. I loved all the positions I had as non-management and management.

I was able to get married at 20 because of UPS and am still married to the love of my life at 60. I was a belt-boy, a hub man, a driver 5+ years, supervisor, managed 7 centers - 3 hubs, 2 departments, on senior staff and was one of the 1st Quality Managers. I had to petition Corporate for a title for my business cards the job was so new!

I found the place I wanted to spend my second half of life at 50 and then the countdown became more intense. I wanted to be in Sedona. We moved here full time the day I retired. I had countdown clocks and calendars EVERYWHERE! At work, at home, on all my computers!

View attachment 7085View attachment 7086View attachment 7087
I have treasured memories of Sedona.
Sorry to see that they have paved Paradise.

40 yrs ago I sat atop Bell Rock and the desert valley floor was empty.
I hope that you have found the peace that is there.
1978 we spent our honeymoon in a tent on public grounds.
!984 we revisited and I just had to laugh at the fruit loop "NewAge" industry that had evolved.
In 1973, I was just a long haired, bearded redneck with $50 to my name and backpacking through your present back yard.
Funny how life works.
Next time we visit Sedona, when I retire, I will fly in.
We will stay in a resort with mints on the pillows, and the whole bit.
I pray that I am spry enough to climb Bell Rock and find the glyph I carved under a ledge those 4 decades ago.